Anyone Familiar With Levenger Bottle Ink?

bone215

I am waiting for delivery of two bottles of ink from Levenger. I allowed myself (twisted my arm they did) to be sucked into the free shipping offer.

I was wondering if anyone has some experience either positive or negative to share?

I ordered Grey and Cobalt, both appear to be nice colors, but I won't know for sure until delivery.

Regards,

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bone215

• Runnin_Ute

• Joe in Seattle

• Green Ink

I've used a few of them. They behave well, and are perhaps a bit wet, but that's the only negative thing I could say about them. I've tried Cobalt, Pomegranate, Raven Black, and True Teal so far. True Teal is a real stunner, though I do like Cobalt, too. I've been curious about the grey as well, so you clearly have good taste. :)

Cobalt is my favorite and I really like the bottle of gray. The bottles have an insert that allows you to turn the bottle upside down and then flip it back to fill the insert at the top with the ink, down to the last drop.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I love levenger ink a lot. I just recently got shiraz and I love it ....

Cathy :bunny01:

:happyberet:

I can speak for Regal. It's well behaved, saturated, and regal in the sense that it's not a screaming purple. Think Henry VIII. Like it when I want a subdued yet true purple ink.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/carrieh/l.png

It's a great ink, but takes forever to dry. I mix it 50% with Namiki blue (which to my eyes is the same color, but less saturated) and that calms it down and significantly reduces drying times.

Another vote for the Cobalt. I have had the same bottle for approx. 10 years. Still works fine, it's a rich, saturated blue.

Would someone explain how to access the ink when the ink level gets low. Thanks in advance. I love the Cobalt Blue.

Depends on the pen and filling system. Cartridge converters are easy, just take the converter out of the pen, stick the tip down in the ink and suck it up. You can get the last dregs this way. Or fill the converter with an ink syringe.

With piston fillers and other types that require sticking the nib in the ink, it depends on how far down into the ink the nib has to go for a decent vacuum seal. With most you have little choice, get another bottle and combine them when the 2nd is low enough to hold the rest of the 1st. Most people use this method since if your bottle is running low, you need another one anyway.

Certain pens have novel ways to get every last drop out of a bottle, like the vintage Sheaffer's Snorkel and the Visconti Mosquito filler.

Certain bottles have various built-in methods to help with this problem. The Montblanc shoe design allows you to fill a small section of the bottle regardless of the ink level in the rest of the bottle. The PW Akkerman bottles are pretty famous for the ingenious marble in the neck which traps ink in the neck when you turn the bottle over. Then there are bottles like Caran d'Ache that are essentially slanted, allowing you get a greater nib insertion angle so you can bury the nib in less ink.

Another trick is to use the small sample ink vials you can get from Goulet Pens and others, and use an ink syringe to fill the vial enough to bury the nib. Since the diameter of the vial is small (just enough to fit a pen section, really), it takes a lot less ink to cover the nib in the vial. This is kind of a hassle, but does work. This is a manual variation on the Montblanc and PW Akkerman built in systems.

And then there's the Visconti Travelling Inkwell or the TWSBI Diamond ink bottle. Search on Youtube for videos on using these, I have no direct experience with them.

Edited by Baric

.... Yet another vote for Cobalt.... One of the blues I keep on recommending... again and again....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I have Pinkly, Empyrean and Pomegranate and agree that they're wet. That works for me because I use F and EF nibs. Pomegranate feathers and bleeds through cheap paper like nobody's business; since Cobalt is so saturated I wouldn't be surprised if it behaved similarly. The plastic insert that lets you get every drop of ink is ingenious.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Very pleased with Cobalt, like the bottles.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Love Cobalt, never had a problem with it. No experience with the Grey. When you run out of Cobalt save your bottle for another ink. The insert feature is nifty!

Thank you to everyone who shared their experience. It is very helpful.

I will try to share my experience with the Levenger inks with you.

Regards,

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

I have Amethyst, Gemstone Green, Cobalt and the now discontinued Fireball. Amethyst and Gemstone Green feather quite a bit but the colors are gorgeous. Cobalt is a lovely blue with no major problems. Fireball is my alternate marking ink. I keep a TrueWriter Fireball Demonstrator inked and standing by in my briefcase to use when my regular marking pen runs dry. It never, ever fails to start even after sitting for weeks. No bleed through or feathering, even on cheap student notebook paper. The color is beautiful enough to find it's way into my journal on occasion but when this bottle runs dry that is the last of it.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

My only current bottle of Levenger ink is Pomegranate. Have used at both full strength and at a 1:2 (ink:water) dilution. Such an interesting color. I like the color diluted as well as if not better than full strength.

In the past, I have used Raven Black and Cobalt Blue - I finished off the Raven Black about a year ago. Had it for 10+ years. Used the Cobalt up pretty quickly. (bought both at the same time)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have a couple of pens that are so dry that it is hard to believe that the manufacturer had any conception thatthe purpose of a pen was to transfer ink to paper. But my Skies of Blue is wet enough to make even those pens write words

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I have used Levenger inks and have no complaints at all. Their bottles are attractive and you will not have any difficulty getting out the last drop of ink. Enjoy your inks.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I have Raven Black, which is quite reliable, though I find it a bit boring (I prefer J. Herbin's Perle Noire). I won't purchase that particular shade again, though now I'm curious about the Cobalt. Will be adding that to my list. I agree that the bottles are very attractive.