Twsbi's Still Cracking Regularly ?

Legal Eagle

I'm waiting on a TWSBI 580al, and like usual have been reading reviews and stuff while I await shipping. There are numerous comment's about the clear plastic cracking and naturally I've been curious as to whether this is still happening on the new pens.

Thanks in advance!

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Jamerelbe

• ScienceChick

• Algester

Interesting topic.

I was thinking of ordering a TWSBI... I thought those metal rings on the 580 helped.....

Guess I will wait for some answers here first....

Thanks for posting this question

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

I have had no problems at all with my 580AL's clear segments. I had the nib holder break off where it threads into the body a bit ago (TWSBI sent a new one with their customary speed and ease) but no trouble at all with the clear bits.

I've been using a 580 for the past 4 months almost everyday at work, no cracks whatsoever. Yours should be fine.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

I've had a 580 for a while and am pleased to report no cracking - pen has taken a couple of drops too and seems ok

TWSBI seems to now be specializing in nib problems, though I am sure they throw cracked plastic into the mix occasionally, just for fun.

Seems like TWSBI`s & Noodler`s are notorious for problems ...

Given the price range (50 -100 bucks for TWSBI) and (15 - 40 bucks for Noodler`s), i`ll rather stick with Noodler`s, even though I admit, the TWSBI`s have a more original design.

Are they, btw, made from cheap plastic or acryl?

The plastic on the TWSBI doesnt feel cheap to me. It may crack on occasion but at least it feels hefty and doesnt smell like vomit...

Though I don't have the 580, I do use a Vac 700 which I just bought a few weeks back. No cracks and writes quite well though I get the occasional stoppage in ink flow due to the pressure or what-not. All good though for me.

Three years ago I bought a 540 ROC. After several months, I saw a crack in the clear barrel, and pretty soon after that, a crack in the red section. I had heard of others having the problem, emailed for help, and in three days, had replacement parts, no charge.

The pen has been in vigorous use ever since with no cracks anywhere.

Blasphemous though it may be for some, I actually prefer my TWSBI 540 over my Lamy 2000.

I have 3 540's that have yet to sustain a crack, since new. I know of three other 540's owned by friends that all cracked/broke in one or more locations. I am more careful with mine because of this, but I do not baby them. In all cases, the parts were quickly replaced by TWSBI free of charge and they were back in business within a few days. No cracking problems on any of the replacement parts either.

Haven't heard of any problems on the 580's. Haven't had a problem on my VAC 700 either.

Edited by risingsun

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

My 580 developed a crack on the barrel where it screws on to the feed, but Phillip replied back to my email in minutes and had a replacement barrel in the mail that day. In my hands 2 days later. That's why despite problems I've had with my 580, I'd buy a TWSBI again.

2014-08-25-1555pm.jpg?dl=0

I got 99 plumoj but a BIC ain't one. HIT ME!!!

I've definitely gotta hand it to them, when I had my nib holder crack, they were RIGHT on top of it, and they offered to send me both a nib holder AND a body, in the assumption that I would not be able to remove the fractured piece from teh body.

Aside from not having had the problem at all, I can't think of anything they could have done better with it. I certainly would buy another 580, with no hesitation at all.

Two Vac 700s and three Mini Classics (one stolen and replaced) here. No issues whatsoever with any of them, once I tweaked the EF Bock nib on one of the 700s. They all just write, and very well.

Edited by Water Ouzel

I've had nib problems with my vac700 that I bought a few weeks ago. The nib slit was cut off center, was writing too dry and had a bit of scratchiness to it, but when I sent it to TWSBI they said the cut and the feedback was normal. I ended up getting a replacement nib from the Goulets.

No problems with the body of the pen though. The only thing I think that could fail there are the rubber O-rings, and they include extras with the pen, so no complaints there.

Seems like TWSBI`s & Noodler`s are notorious for problems ...

Given the price range (50 -100 bucks for TWSBI) and (15 - 40 bucks for Noodler`s), i`ll rather stick with Noodler`s, even though I admit, the TWSBI`s have a more original design.

Are they, btw, made from cheap plastic or acryl?

I went through the threads on Twsbi's carefully before buying mine, and yeah, there seemed to be problems with the 540 and earlier, but now it seems more like people endlessly repeating stories they heard more than relating current problems.

As to Noodler's vs Twsbi. There's not really a comparison, beyond the apples and oranges nail vs. stiff flex nibs. I far prefer my Twsbi to my Ahab on construction quality, nib quality, barrel quality, piston fill quality, material quality, writing quality, pretty much on down the line. Which is as it probably should be considering the price differential, so that's not a knock on the Ahab. The Ahab is a special feature pen that has a value to it different from the Twsbi. But the Twsbi goes with me everywhere, while the Noodler's only on specific occasions with my whole art kit.

I've had two TWSBIs, a Mini and a 580, for a little over a year now - but also gave a couple of 580s away for birthday presents (a 30th and a 75th!). The two I gave away are still in good working order, no cracks etc; and my own 580 is the same. I found a crack developing just above the metal ring that surrounds the cap thread, after about 12 months of intensive use - and TWSBI immediately replaced it for me. The 580s I don't believe are used as carry-around pens - I know mine isn't - whereas the Mini has seen a lot of action, as the pen I most often have with me. That, and the fact that they're designed to be posted by screwing on to the barrel, may account for the greater wear and tear on the cap.

All this happened about two months ago (June 2014) - so, yes, it seems there are still occasional cracking problems (at least in my experience!). Given TWSBI's outrageously helpful customer service, though (OK OK, 'outrageously' is probably the wrong word - 'astoundingly' maybe?), and the amazing overall quality of these pens, I would still recommend them - and, when the Eco and/or Vac Mini models come out, will probably dip my toe in the water again!