Delta Fusion: My Vote Is In

plohmann

I know this is old news, but the Delta Fusion is silly. Really. It's a nice steel nib with a gratuitous piece of gold which is- get ready- cemented to the steel. How do I know? The gold fell off into an ink bottle as I was refilling. I think it's a marketing gimmick all the way. Any other experiences like this?

post-66734-0-61448100-1408916252_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Icywolfe

• Antolin

• aardvarkbark

• bardiir

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm interesting :D

I've read up on this on through Googling it. And from the description:

Thanks to the production characteristics, the ink is made more fluid in the vicinity of the tip of the nib, because Fusion features a “plate” of precious material (gold, palladium, or other noble alloys), that due to its high thermal conductivity, will tend to heat the underlying metal (steel, titanium, or other) and the underlying metal, in turn, transfers heat to the ink in transit between the conductor and the tip of the nib. The higher temperature makes the ink flow more smoothly. At the same time, the nib has characteristics of strength and durability for long writing sessions, higher than those of nibs completely in gold.

I'll call (bleep) on this at any time. Where should the gold have gotten the heat to give to the steel? And aside from that, if the ink should flow better a wider ink channel would have done that too.

So yep, marketing all the way.

Edited by bardiir

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

I'll call (bleep) on this at any time. Where should the gold have gotten the heat to give to the steel? And aside from that, if the ink should flow better a wider ink channel would have done that too.

Lets say the heat was from environment temperature (from an AC house or building going to the warm outdoors), wouldnt it be wiser to just make the whole nib out of gold instead of just gluing gold on top of it?

Wish List: TWSBI Diamond 580.

I saw this pen on the Goulet website and wanted it. The pen was very pretty, though I'll admit that I can't figure out the science behind the nib and actually suspect pseudoscience. Fortunately for me, I leave pens in the basket and think about them for a month or so before I buy them. In that time, the Goulets quit selling this pen and, to be honest, I lost interest by then.

The pen really is pretty. But, I don't like the "science" behind the nib, and what the OP in this thread showed was one of my fears with the pen.

So, thank-you, plohmann, for reaffirming my decision not to buy this pen!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Do different metals conduct heat differently? yes

Is this marketing complete nonsense? with even more certainty, yes

The notion that you hand's heat is going to heat the nib metals differently as you hold it, and further that this difference will result in different ink flow is just such marketing mysticism that I'm irked just typing this.

Does it look neat, aka is this a good fashion? maybe... that's always a subjective though I'm not opposed to them trying out different nib appearances... but this marketing is pure pseudo science. This is a steel nib, end of story.

I suppose you could contact Delta and they might ask you how radically different the writing behavior was without the little piece of gold glued to the top of the nib was. :)

There have been other posts about this same situation here on FPN. I tried one of these once - wrote beautifully. But after hearing about this issues, never will buy one (turns me off on Delta as a whole, really).

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

And I hoping to buy one of these pens in the future.

I like pens that people say XX is just a gimmick. People said that about the push button of the VP and the tension bar of the Justus95. And found out those was not a marketing ploy, it works!

Now this is a gimmick.

#Nope

Marketing gimmick and questionable pseudoscience aside (I'm fully in the bunk camp), I did buy one because it was beautiful and elegant, and reviews from several folks say it writes very well, regardless. And mine does write as smoothly as I could wish. I have been very happy with it, but if the pretty little gold plate fell into a bottle of ink, I'd be less than pleased with Delta.

Edited by Baric

If simply putting two metals into contact with each other truly caused heat, well, let's get lots of those metals and solve one of the world's most pressing problems.

Oh, damn, I just remembered something called the first law of thermodynamics. Drat.

So the glue holding the gold plate onto the steel nib must also have high thermal conductivity, though not very impressive adhesive qualities.

Marketing gimmick and questionable pseudoscience aside (I'm fully in the bunk camp), I did buy one because it was beautiful and elegant, and reviews from several folks say it writes very well, regardless. And mine does write as smoothly as I could wish. I have been very happy with it, but if the pretty little gold plate fell into a bottle of ink, I'd be less than pleased with Delta.

I concur completely!

Did you call the company?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the glue holding the gold plate onto the steel nib must also have high thermal conductivity, though not very impressive adhesive qualities.

That glue looks like Thermal Paste Glue on Video cards. I have a tube of it at home somewhere. It's hard to apply as it is sort of a solid yet goopy. Thermal Paste is easy apply and take off, but the glue version is for the memory chips so the heat sicks didn't move around.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

So, what happened next? The suspense is killing me.

I suspect it still writes fine, assuming it did so BEFORE the event. The nib may now feel a bit softer, the gold did add some extra material extending toward the nib times.

Edited by Baric

I have a fusion pen, and I like writing with it. A lot. I could care less about whether Dellta's explanation is right, wrong, or pure fiction. Just like I don't care about Mont Blanc's premium marketing posture or any other marketing message content. I do care about the pen and the pleasure I receive using it. I don't pay for the marketing message, but I do pay for the pen. But maybe that's just me.

All things work out in the end. If it is not working out, it is not the end.

As someone with a degree in chemistry, I admit there's a lot I don't know about the subject. That being said, for that gold to heat up the steel, it would defy the laws of physics. Honestly, they could/should be sued for blatantly misleading customers.

Edited by autopsy

As someone with a degree in chemistry, I admit there's a lot I don't know about the subject. That being said, for that gold to heat up the steel, it would defy the laws of physics. Honestly, they could/should be sued for blatantly misleading customers.

If it as copper and aluminum it could be likely.

#Nope

Whoa, I didn't know that they were "marketing" it that way. As far as I am concerned that is not marketing by a long shot, it is outright lying. I'm seriously considering sending them an email.

I mean all brands exaggerate their own products and that's OK but this is a whole other thing. Writing down idiotic stuff and then trying to pass it off as science? That's very, very low.