Inky T O D - Have You Become More Finicky As You Have Become More Experienced?

amberleadavis

Now, Lapis, I'm talking about pens and ink only!

A pen pal asked about the progress of my ink reviews - I'm in the process of reviewing Konrad - KWZI's 47+ inks, Susemai's Ink Powders (currently 13) and 200 samples from Shawndo. (I will try and add links for others to follow on these adventures). While pondering this question (even knowing the answer is 42 and that I do need more towels), I realized that the more inks and pens I try, the more picky I become. I am less tolerant of pen and ink bad behaviors and less willing to play with inks that don't please me.

So, what about you? Are you more particular or fussy as you have become more knowledgable about pens and inks?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• SeeksAdvice

• cellmatrix

• Runnin_Ute

Ever since I've discovered cursive italic/stub nibs (my first being a Safari 1.5i that blew my mind), I have become more picky with "regular" pens, inspecting every single writing sample in search for even the slightest sign of line variation in my round nibs. To my surprise, most of my round nibs exhibit some (albeit vague) line variation when used at a certain angle (which is actually very comfortable for me), so my need is somewhat satisfied. I could also opt for sending all my round nibs for grinding, but they are invariably contained within vintage fountain pens (which occupy most of my puny collection), and as we know, these "resources" are getting scarcer and scarcer by the day (alas...most of my vintage round nibs were near mint when I first inked them, it would be a shame to strip them of their precious tipping)...so I would preffer only grinding modern pens' nibs (like the Lamy 2000 that is on Pendleton Brown's queue, and maybe someday a TWSBI with a PB grind).

As for inks...Rohrer und Klingner all the way! I've fallen in love with their inks, because they have such well behaved, wonderful, unique colors (Alt-Bordeaux, Scabiosa and Sepia being my most favorite, in that order). I've also managed an interesting mix with Salix and Cassia and dubbed it 'Xalixia'...it's a muted, deep dark purple that shades nicely and is somewhat water resistant (should manage a review of that one). I'm usually fussy with inks that bleed heavily (like Alt-Goldgrun, which is the "lemon" in the R&K line - in my personal opinion- , such a striking and singular color, but with too heavy feathering, bleeding and lack of lubricity...I've yet to find a pen that can manage it properly), and with inks that are too saturated and tend to build up underneath a nib (like Pel Edelstein Topaz and some Noodler's colors).

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

I don't have that large of a ink collection (looks at my sig) but I'm open to anything. I seriously want to try that Erotic Ink from DeAtramentis and also their Wine inks. Crazier the ink more I want to try it.

But I'm a bit picky what I give to my Justus95 though. As that is the most expensive pen in my collection, and second it's a flexy/soft pen. So if the ink isn't wet enough I can't do flexy writing.

#Nope

As I become more experienced, I find myself growing more observant in nib/paper/ink combinations. The quick review, the flow of ink on good and bad paper, and the casual color observation are fun. But with a very comfortable selection of pens and a collection of probably too many different variations of blue ink, I find myself going back to my pen and ink log for deeper analysis. I also started writing pen/ink combinations at the top of my journal for reference.

Even with a more nuanced view of my fountain pen addiction, I still examine the nib long before I consider the ink when I find an area that I don't like. I feel like I should be making adjustments to the nib for proper flow, but I'm also learning that I should perhaps try a different ink or two before going to mechanical repairs.

It's a fun journey.

Buzz

Absolutely. Now that I'm more informed, but having tried a wide selection of pens, nibs, and inks, I've formed an educated opinion about what I like and don't like. I'm no longer enchanted by "new" just because it's new and have enough pens and inks that I'm willing to thin the herd to cocentrate on what I really like.

What! Pens and ink only? You mean no paper?? No wine, women and song???

Seriously, I guess I'm different from the other boys and girls.

A. I have always been finicky even without much experience (I think). E.g. my two "best" pens have right from the beginning always been my M1000 because of its shape and size which fits my hand nicely, or, my M900 just because of its weight. My favourite inks always have to be wet, even in a wet pen because I need wetness.

B. OTOH I am completely (100.00%) unfinicky when it cums to collecting inks. As a matter of fact, they don't always have to be wet. I love collecting the whole darn lot of a brand. You know, 9 old CdAs, 12 new CdAs, 9 4001s, 11 Edelsteins, 38 Herbins, 9 Watermans, 20 R&Ks etc. Sure, I don't have to like them, I don't even have to use them, I only have to have them. Am I becoming too picky?

To quote Mark Twain, "If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance".

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/1_ani.gif

Edited by lapis

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

*grin*

I'm not saying finicky is bad...I'm just staying that it can annoy others.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I will answer the questions with a qualified yes.

I am no longer very tolerant of pens that are hard-starters, or skip a lot, or any of the other things I find annoying in pens.

Inks, maybe still a bit more tolerant because there are so many beautiful inks out there, but I do find myself less willing to put up with a blah ink when I could switch it to something more interesting.

Maybe that is one of the reasons 54th Massacusetts doesn't get used that much - or only in certain pens. It just annoys me in some pens. Some pen/ink combinations just don't work that well for me.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Yes, I have become pickier. Not to "ink bash," but I really have issues with Noodler's behavior in many pens of mine. I tolerated it simply because it was one of a handful of really, really durable inks. After a long hiatus, I inked up my M400 (EF) with some Sei-Boku. I started asking myself... why again had I been messing with 54th Mass., Bad Belted Kingfisher, Bad Blue Heron, Polar Blue, etc.. I guess I'll have to slowly grind my way through them, but had forgotten how nice it was to have permanent ink that stays where you want it, goes where you want it, and generally does what you want it to do. (Alas, Sei-Boku fell to our new "Business Source" paper, along with everything else that wasn't IG).

With MB Perm blue and black, and DeA document inks being more available over here, many of my Noodler's inks may just find themselves sitting on the shelf.

Just don't have time for inks that dribble, drool, go places they shouldn't, etc.

Same with pens. I have some TWSBI 580's floating around that seem to leak no matter what I do with/to them. Guessing that a seam has failed on each of them, because the first place I see ink inside of the grip section is along one or more seams. They also seem to have a propensity for dribbling ink into the caps. After trying O-rings, silicon grease, etc., I still have the problem(s). I remember pulling out a TWSBI 580 loaded with Diamine Sherwood Green shortly before a jury trial was to start, only to discover that it gave me a green thumb from ink that was leaking at the grip section.

If it doesn't do what it's supposed to do, why bother with it?

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Seeks, I totally understand. It was trying a bottle of Dromgoole's Blue Steel that ruined me for bad behaviors. Once I found an ink that just worked for my writing technique, I've had a hard time putting up with nonsense and I find myself getting rid of fills that just aren't Amber friendly.

Yes I have become more finiky, but as has been mentioned it is because I know more.

Example I had a Parker 180 in college that would constantly drool ink. I put up with the problem for years, because I did not know how to deal with it. And it had already be sent back to Parker and it came back and still drooled. About a year ago, I switched to Cross/Pelikan ink, no more drooling.

Similarly if the ink is not behaving on the paper, I will look at all 3 variables; pen, ink and paper, to determine the issue. When I was in college, the only change that I did was change paper, the bulk paper that I had used would feather and blot, so I switched to a harder paper that was FP friendly.

I also have a much greater selection of color today, so I don't have to settle for a color that I don't really care for. So today I use Waterman or Cross/Pelikan black rather than the Parker Quink black that I used in college.

I also tolerate using Waterman blue in one pen, Cross/Pelikan blue in another pen, and PR DCSS blue in yet another pen. Back in college it was only ONE ink; Parker Quink black for my cartridge pens, and either Parker or Sheaffer black bottle ink for my desk pen.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I prefer to think that we become more 'refined'. But who am I kidding. :D

What a classy word for it. Refined. Yes, that works perfectly.

It's still interesting to match nib to ink qualities, but the colors no longer thrill me. Despite having over 200 inks from which to choose, I can still get bored and want to see something completely new as in a color outside the rainbow. Unfortunately, my eyes aren't built for that. *sigh*

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Yes. I'm actually in the process of thinning my ink hoard down to the ones with preferred properties. Pens... Still learning, so not as picky I'd say. Mostly Lamy Safaris and Noodler's pens. Paper only has one requirement - to work well with my inks. I've found that in itself makes finding papers a pain.

"Do you know the legend about cicadas? They say they are the souls of poets who cannot keep quiet because, when they were alive, they never wrote the poems they wanted to."

Like others, I'm not sure if I've become more finicky, so much as becoming more knowledgeable about what bothers me about something. Early in my FP career, which started in high school, I had a pen I didn't like; now I know it was dry as a bone and a hard starter.

Paper matters more and more to me. I use paper journals and datebooks, and having the paper be FP-friendly is more important to me than the binding, layout, etc.

I've gone through a phase of trying just about every ink under the sun, and now I'm sticking to things I know will work. I'm willing to shell out $$ for Iroshizuku because I know their inks suit my writing style.

I've actually become less finicky as I have 'matured' in my ink experience. Whereas before I bought a lot of inks looking for the perfect ink for me, however I have come to realize there is no perfect ink - all inks have flaws. If one is bulletproof for example it might have maintenance or nib creep issues. If one is low maintenance it might be bland appearing etc.

So overall I am not buying up a ton of inks anymore, and instead I just settle for the one or two with the least issues and use these more or less all the time.

Right now I'm enjoying penman sapphire and while it is not without issues, I think it's a fine ink.

Low maintenance doesn't always mean "bland" in appearance. Most of my Iroshizuku inks are low maintenance, but aren't what I'd call "bland" on paper.

Same for the converse. Simply because something is "bland" on paper doesn't mean it's low maintenance. Ever seen Noodler's "Empire Red"?

With trial season heating up, I find myself less and less interested in fighting with cranky pens and inks. Between civil forfeitures, civil commitments, and criminal jury trials, just don't have time for things that don't work 100% of the time.

To paraphrase the old credit card ads: Pelikan M800 Tortoise ($550); bottle of Iroshizuku Tsukushi ($28); Not having brown fingers and brown shirts (priceless). [speaking of the M800 Tortoise, noticed that where the nib contacts the inside of the cap, the brown color has apparently been worn away?]

More of my shirts have died to Noodler's inks somehow finding their way up to the junction of the clip and cap of my pens than any other ink brand. Usually if it's death by any other ink brand, it's because I've done something supremely stupid like allowing the pen to come uncapped in the pocket or forgetting to cap it. Trust me, Sei-Boku does not come out well when the pen is nib down on fabric...

When it absolutely, positively *has* to work at jury trial time, I go with my Iroshizuku, Sailor, R&K Salix, and Diamine inks.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan