Sheaffer Pens - Interest

Kuscer

Hello everyone!

I've noticed that The Sheaffer Forum is the most popular forum in the Brand Focus section, which must mean that Sheaffer is a good, popular brand. I've never actually had a Sheaffer pen before and I'm looking for a new pen, so if you have any advice on models (besides an FP I'd also like to buy a BP) and why you like Sheaffer pens, please reply to this topic.

Thanks very much,

Dingan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuscer

• kestrel

• dannyboy

• Namru

Top Posters In This Topic

I can answer part of your question. I don't own any Sheaffer pens manufactured after around 1980 but I own and use a number of vintage Sheaffers. The Sheaffer's Balance is a favorite for it's beauty, its ergonomics, and its nib. There are lots of colors available in many patterns and pen sizes. You can select the size that best fits your hand. The rounded shape "balances" perfectly for me. The celluloid material feels warm in the hand, a much nicer sensation than most modern pen materials. The nibs tend to be firm but have a character all their own. I usually have at least one Balance in my rotation. I also have a soft spot for the later Touchdown and Snorkel fillers from the early 1950s. I would encourage you to look for a well-restored vintage Sheaffer's and see what the fuss is about. There is lots of buzz on the site for the PFM but I don't own one so I can't comment on them.

Good luck with your search. Looking for and testing pens is half the fun.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I can answer part of your question. I don't own any Sheaffer pens manufactured after around 1980 but I own and use a number of vintage Sheaffers. The Sheaffer's Balance is a favorite for it's beauty, its ergonomics, and its nib. There are lots of colors available in many patterns and pen sizes. You can select the size that best fits your hand. The rounded shape "balances" perfectly for me. The celluloid material feels warm in the hand, a much nicer sensation than most modern pen materials. The nibs tend to be firm but have a character all their own. I usually have at least one Balance in my rotation. I also have a soft spot for the later Touchdown and Snorkel fillers from the early 1950s. I would encourage you to look for a well-restored vintage Sheaffer's and see what the fuss is about. There is lots of buzz on the site for the PFM but I don't own one so I can't comment on them.

Good luck with your search. Looking for and testing pens is half the fun.

Thank you!

I, too, love the Sheaffer Balance pens and own several of them and use them on a regular basis, but I also love some of the Sheaffers past 1980, especially the Targa line. Targas are available in many finishes and are wonderful writers. You can find a good Targa at a reasonable price on various pen sites so I'd recommend one highly as you consider the purchase of a Sheaffer pen. Good luck and enjoy the pen search and use!

I, too, love the Sheaffer Balance pens and own several of them and use them on a regular basis, but I also love some of the Sheaffers past 1980, especially the Targa line. Targas are available in many finishes and are wonderful writers. You can find a good Targa at a reasonable price on various pen sites so I'd recommend one highly as you consider the purchase of a Sheaffer pen. Good luck and enjoy the pen search and use!

Will try and thank you.

Depends if it's new or old.

I have a thing for old Sheaffer's, but I can't stand modern models.

I started with the cheap Sheaffer cartridge pens in the 60's and the No Nonsense pens in the 70's. I also have some post 1980's Sheaffers - two Javelins and a Triumph Imperial 444. I like them all. One of the Javelins is my daily writer.

"Don't be humble, you're not that great." Golda Meir

For what it's worth, Peyton Street Pens (no affiliation) is a reputable seller that has many restored vintage and NOS Sheaffer pens. Other brands too, of course, but their selection of Sheaffers is quite extensive (and tempting)!

Hey there... I love my Sheaffer 300, especially for long writing sessions as it's so comfortable to hold and a great wet writer. Hope the image helps. All the best... Sean

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Sean_Sankey/photo1_zpsea1f1f62.jpg

Favourite Owned Pen - Lamy Studio, Brushed Steel with either a 1.1mm italic or Black F nib

Favourite Inks - Diamine Imperial Purple, Diamine Sargasso Sea, Noodlers Bad Blue Heron, Sheaffer Skrip Red

"Planned" (!) Purchases - TWSBI Diamond 580 AL, Waterman Expert Deluxe Blue, Esterbrook J, Sheaffer Prelude, Pilot Capless / Vanishing Point, Pilot Falcon

Hello everyone!

I've noticed that The Sheaffer Forum is the most popular forum in the Brand Focus section, which must mean that Sheaffer is a good, popular brand.

Actually, it is the fourth most popular, behind Montblanc, Parker, and Pelikan.

I do like Sheaffers, though.

--daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

I like most Sheaffers I've met, of whatever age. The point performance is very consistent from one model to another in the modern production, so the three things you really have to consider are:

- Do I like relatively firm points?

- Does the look and feel of this model suit my tastes?

- Can I afford it?

...and you probably won't go wrong.

The same points also apply if you extend your consideration to vintage Sheaffers, although some have a little more spring to them, and there's more obvious variation in performance between models.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I own several PFMs, several Vac Filled Triumphs, some balances and two legacies 2 and they are very very good pens for the money.Most of the sheaffer nibs are firm but ultra smooth and their filling system like the vac fill and the snorkel are a pleasure to use. Inkflow and reliability are top notch with them.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time