What Are Some Nice Looking Ink Bottles?

huy3825

Hello everyone!

I have recently got into this weird obsession with modern looking ink bottles after I got some Pelikan Edelstein Topaz, which I havent used yet. I currently have 6 bottles of ink lying around on my desk all full, albeit, 3 of them are boring old Parker Quinks. Older bottle just don't tickle my fancy. Not yet at least.

I can't seem to stop myself and I'm wondering if you fellow FPNers could suggest a few nice looking bottles of ink. I would quite frankly go to the Goulet Pen Company just to buy the empty bottle and refill them with say Parker Quink.

The one's I have lying out are:

Parker - A boring look, looks fat but I like the wide lid. It's ascetically pleasing and practical.The label is a paper label, I would've preferred a plastic label so when you peel it off it doesn't leave any residue.

Hero - Fat and too 'cornery', there are 8 clear corners which absolutely bug me. The lid is tiny and poorly molded plastic. It had a flimsy paper label that was glued on with a bit of UHU.

Private Reserve - Too round, literally a can. The lid isn't as bad as the Hero but it feels thin and pathetic. It's too wide as well. The label looks homemade. The glass is 'can' is so thin.

Edelstein Topaz - Heavy glass base that adds weight and heft. Looks 'fancy' and professional. I love the design on the lid. The lid is smaller than I would like but it's my favourite bottle at the moment. I can't remember that industrial process for the life of me, where they transfer the ink for the label onto various rollers and presses than finally onto the bottle. The names and labels on the bottle are amazing and it's permanent.

I would love to hear your thoughts and I hope I'm not the only picky one around here :)

PS: I have been eyeing Caran D'ache for a while but quite frankly I think it's just way too overpriced, after all I am a student. Edelstein was already a but iffy and where I live Caran D'ache has a list price twice as much as Edelstein.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• huy3825

• TXKat

• Floreat

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pilot Iroshizuko? Beautiful inks in beautiful modern bottles. Generally expensive, but can be bought a lot cheaper via a seller on Amazon.

UK-based pen fan. I love beautiful ink bottles, sealing wax, scented inks, and sending mail art. Also, thanks to a wonderful custom-ground nib by forum member Bardiir, I'm currently attempting calligraphy after years of not being able to do so due to having an odd pen-grip :D

What about the Akkerman bottles? I'm hoping to nab one from Vanness pens. And the Montblanc bottle with the white dot cap? Some of the vintage older bottles are also nice if you can find. Scripto comes to mind.

Iroshizuki is a gorgeous bottle!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Also Akkerman, though I'd say these are very old-fashioned looking. They are way cool though, I love them.

UK-based pen fan. I love beautiful ink bottles, sealing wax, scented inks, and sending mail art. Also, thanks to a wonderful custom-ground nib by forum member Bardiir, I'm currently attempting calligraphy after years of not being able to do so due to having an odd pen-grip :D

Pilot Iroshizuko? Beautiful inks in beautiful modern bottles. Generally expensive, but can be bought a lot cheaper via a seller on Amazon.

Oh yeah the pilot one looks hefty as well but somehow I would love to see more markings from them, especially given that they come from Japan. Th lid IMHO looks a bit too plain and the label looks papery according to one picture from the Goulet Pen Company. But overall that's a great suggestion!! :)

Levenger ink bottles

Lamy ink (great blue black as well)

J herbin 1670 edition

WOW! That J Herbin hits it out of the park. It might not be modern but MAN OH MAN that wax seal is amazing.

Oh geez so many brands that I have barely heard of. It's a shame that my local pen store doesn't have a wider array of inks.

Is this the boot bottle?

http://fpquest.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/montblanc_racinggreenbottle.gif?w=584&h=384

Edited by huy3825

Oh yeah the pilot one looks hefty as well but somehow I would love to see more markings from them, especially given that they come from Japan. Th lid IMHO looks a bit too plain and the label looks papery according to one picture from the Goulet Pen Company. But overall that's a great suggestion!! :)

WOW! That J Herbin hits it out of the park. It might not be modern but MAN OH MAN that wax seal is amazing.

Oh geez so many brands that I have barely heard of. It's a shame that my local pen store doesn't have a wider array of inks.

because the label is a texture paper

Carne d'Ache makes some beautiful ink bottles!

Nick

PS: Probably spelled that wrong...

"It is much more interesting to live life not knowing, than having answers which might be wrong."

"Courage is grace under pressure" ~ Ernest Hemingway

In my opinion the namiki standard ink bottles look pretty slick even though they are rather simple

I figure a thread about nice looking ink bottles would have at least one photo of a nice looking ink bottle....

:-)

_Montblanc (eye-catching & more unusual - not the new, but the slightly older one)

_Diamine (nicely old-fashioned, simple & "classic" FP-ink bottle)

_Sailor (elegant)

I use Lamy, Diamine, Aurora, Parker and Noodlers inks and the Lamy bottle would be the most modern looking bottle out of those brands.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Visconti

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Visconti

+1 they look really cool even through they are plastic

Edited by Nick13

"It is much more interesting to live life not knowing, than having answers which might be wrong."

"Courage is grace under pressure" ~ Ernest Hemingway

Montblanc - old 50 ML, new 60 ML for a more modern look, and the 30 ml cube glass bottles with the big lid, and the glass 30 ml bottle that is round

Visconti - old glass is better, but hard to find. I'm fine with the new plastic ones

Here are pictures of these...

I also like the Akkerman and Lamy bottles.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Graf von Faber-Castell is my personal favourite. The lid is definitely not too simple!

Also I have a nice Picasso (e-bay buy) bottle. Ink is bog standard black but the bottle has an embossed like Picasso signature and the top an inset Picasso face.

Just to point out, the Iroshizuku may look plain to you, but if you look closely, there is a "v" notch made in the base of the ink bottle that adds some interest! :D

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Iroshizuku+ink+bottle&id=2CE76146B9B4CC21EDF106BAAF8EF80B42C45BEB&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=2CE76146B9B4CC21EDF106BAAF8EF80B42C45BEB&selectedIndex=0

Edited by TXKat

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)