Conway Stewart 74 Speedy Phil Filling Mechanism Issues

akardo

Hi,

I have acquired two CS74 Speedy Phil pens (Red and Blue Harringbone) that I have ultrasonically cleaned, polished, waxed and replaced the ink sacs.

According to the "Pen Repair" book page 163 (Marshall/Oldfield) there should be a half moon steel spring shim to keep the pressure bar mechanism attached to the inside of the gold metal sac protector tube. I do not have this shim.

The pressure bar fits into the inside slot of the black plastic twist knob and seems to rise up & down when the knob is turned.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of filling mechanism as I cannot see fuily how it is supposed to work.

I believe the knob cam is working but even if I hold the end of the pressure bar it does not rise in order to deflate the ink sac.

I understand that this type of mechanism was not reliable and working models seem to be rare.

Any tips or advice would be greatfully received.

Mant thanks in anticipation.

David.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• akardo

• RMN

• mallymal1

• peterg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David, I can not help you, but I would very much like to see some pics of the pen and the filling mechanism to learn.

Because as you say this is an uncommon system it may be wise to also post a question in the repair forum. There are some great restorers there that may know more.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Attached are the photographs as requested.

A slip of the typing, the design is the sort after "Herringbone and not "Harringbone"

Any advice of the pressure bar would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance of your replies.

David

post-86706-0-79526100-1408795480_thumb.jpg

post-86706-0-93632300-1408795493_thumb.jpg

post-86706-0-09419900-1408795544_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

You can see why they are sought after.

D.ick

~

~

Hello David.

Lovely pens. I have a couple myself, and they don't work either! I content myself with simply squeezing the ink sac, to fill.

The pretty 'Grecian' cap band, seemed to be the kiss of death at Conway Stewart. The 74's filling system was a waste of time, and the 22 which carries a similar band, was prone to terrible discoloration.

I see that you have asked the same question in the Repair forum. I hope you get good feedback.

Best regards,

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Thanks for your reply.

It will be a shame if I cannot get the filling mechanism working again.

As you state the only CS pens that had the Grecian band was the 74 & 22 that is a shame as the band is a asset to the look of the pens.

Many thanks and I look forward to any members advice on the filling system.

David.

David, you might try Henry Simpole (Truffle Finder here on FPN). Apart from an overlay artist he does do a lot of repairs on CS pens.He

is in the UK so that would be easy for you.

D.ick

~

~

You can find him on a Saturday in Portobello Road at the back of an antiques arcade (sorry, I know there are quite a lot of them!).

You are correct in saying that you are missing the metal shim, and without these the system will not work.

Whilst not the most efficient system the CS74 is very repairable and very worth repairing. I have repaired 4 to date and whilst a little fiddly for my stubby fingers there was nothing difficult involved.

Thanks for the response to-date.

As this is the first time I've repaired this type of filling system, as far as I can see when the knob is turned it must raise the pressure bar via an internal cam thus twisting the sprung pressure bar upwards and causing the sac to deflate. The sprung shim must hold the other end of pressure bar. Is this correct?

If I hold the other end of the pressure bar with a pair of forcepts simulating the sprung shim, the pressure bar does not rise when the knob is turned but it does when I release the tension from the forcepts.

I can only come to the conclusion that the internal cam in the knob must be worn and not allowing the pressure bar to twist properly. Without comparing it to a working one I'm only guessing where the fault can lie.

Does this seem reasonably?

Many thanks

David.

Just a quck update,

I have engineered a few sample sprung shims out of different size brass tubing that are just tight enough to fit inside the gold sac protector.

I have filed a small flat on the brass tube (around 3mm in length) that holds the end of the pressure bar in place.

I have seen the pressure bar rise but it soon pops out of the slot in the other end of the cam in the inside of the black knurled filling knob.

It looks like that the other end of the pressure bar definitely needs to be held down securely by a better sprung shim otherwise the pressure bar does not work.

At least I know that the pressure bar can work so it is now just a job of finding a better replacement for the missing sprung steel shim.

Thanks to all that have viewed this subject.

Busy raiding my bit boxes in the workshop to find a better shim.

Anyone that can offer a better solution please feel free to add their comments and advice so other members may benefit.

David.