Pilot Falcon, Metal Or Resin?

fasthall

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which version will/did you get?

• Metal
    • Resin

I'm considering buying a falcon for both note taking and penmanship,

but I'm not sure which version should I buy.

As far as I know,

1. the weight of metal version is better than resin version

2. metal version is more durable than resin version

3. resin version is more likely to be scratched

The price difference is about $100. In your opinion, which one is the better bargain?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Icywolfe

• thesunshine

• discopig

• Thuja

Top Posters In This Topic

Also metal version can use larger con70 converter. At the price point of metal falcon you should also consider a custom 742, heritage 912, or custom 743 with FA nib from a japanese retailer.

Personally, I find the metal version too heavy for note taking and penmanship.

Scientia potentia est.

(Don't own them) The resin one should be better worth your money as for note taking the ink supply is fine. And if you are doing some flexy writing just bring some ink with you.

#Nope

Also remember the con70 tends to get a bubble when it's at 50% ink. That bubble will sit between the clear ring and the air pump. Which is right over the feed. That is why my Justus95 is downgraded to a Con50.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

I bought the resin version because I don't like metal pens and it was cheaper. I have to pay 24% VAT on pens bought outside EU so I try keep that in mind. I really love my Falcon SEF it's perfect for my writing.

Caretaker for a bevy of Swans.

It's a personal thing but I tend to find the metal too heavy. That combined with the price difference was enough to steer me towards the resin. Having said that, the optimal weight for writing is very much an individual preference - if you feel that you would prefer the weight of a metal pen for writing, by all means get the one that will suit your needs best.

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

Get a G2 limited for $12 then ask yourself if its justified to pay an extra $100 just for an aluminum barrel that costs them 25¢ to make.

Most pens at this price point are priced for their nibs rather than the barrel(except for the voluptuary-end ones:nakaya, maki-e, etc.).

I think it feels more natural to write with resin than metal pens. But that is MY opinion. Which, since you ask, the better bargain would be the resin.

I couldn't even write with the G2 Limited for more than 2 weeks because the extra weight felt a little unnatural and excessive.

And for any die-hard Metal Falconers out there, I can likely safely assume that judging by weight alone, what it's like to write with a fully metal pen; I simply don't prefer it.

I just shared a long-winded personal opinion. And when it comes to it, it is up to you to decide whether you prefer a metal or resin barrel pen.

Good luck with your decision! :D

Metal metal metal. I own three of them, and I use them for writing and drawing. I tried the resin but found that it felt cheap and plasticky. The metal enamels are particularly lovely in sapphire and red, and are very durable. I'm pretty sure the barrels are brass, and I am quite certain the cost of making them and enameling them far exceeds $0.25.

Anything lighter than these and I might mistake them for disposables and throw them out after depleting the all the ink. (I have a strong bias against resin pens of any kind).

Edited by Lordarka