Your Fave Pen Brands

Kuscer

Hi everyone

I need a new pen but I am torn between the brands and models.

I have owned several pens in the past (Pelikan's, Parker's, Online of Germany...).

I can only quick-access Parker-style or Pelikan-style ink cartridges and I'd like my pen to cost about $50 max. Any suggestions? I'd love to hear what your favourite&most trusted pen brands are and what makes them that.

Thanks,

Dingan

Edited by FP189

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuscer

• KBeezie

• perth

• Icywolfe

Try a Parker 45. They're still widely available and for a very good price. Lamy pens arer C/C compatible with Parkers as well. Why not use a converter? That would make things easier for you.

Try a Parker 45. They're still widely available and for a very good price. Lamy pens arer C/C compatible with Parkers as well. Why not use a converter? That would make things easier for you.

I have thought about a converter but local stores don't sell bottled ink :mellow:

Edited by FP189

I could go for a ballpoint if I couldn't get refills for a fountain pen. The only problem is I recently purchased a Parker ballpoint (basically the only good ballpoints I can buy from local stores) from one of our largest stationery supplies stores and it had paint chipping off. I travelled a reasonable distance to the store so I didn't bother returning it, but it bothers me that a pen from such a famous brand could have such a common problem. This has only happened once with a fountain pen and that was a $7 one which I wouldn't expect to last anyway.

See my signature for my recommendations. Also, I started a thread on reliable brands that may interest you.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/272479-what-brand-of-pens-in-your-experience-is-perfect-regarding-reliability/

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Pilot... at least the first impression takes me, next probably faber-castell because I just like wooden pens and they have em...

Pilot and Faber-Castell both use international Pelikan-style cartridges, right?

And also, which Faber-Castell pens do you have? (I'm kind of a fan of wooden pens myself :))

Edited by FP189

Having just started collecting a few fountain pens starting about a year ago Ive come to realize what I like and don't like. I have Sheaffers, Parkers, Cross, Pilot and Lamy fountain pens in my collection but I have found that the nib assemblies with a convertor nipple tends to leak on me. Ive spoken to a few Pros and online in the blog and I am doing anything out of the ordinary yet these convertor fps all tend to leak on me.

Sheaffer 300's, Prelude, all have leaked. However the tighter assemblies like Lamy al-star do not leak.

My new favourite pen right now is the PILOT CUSTOM HERITAGE 92 in piston fill and white gold nib. Writes like a charm ultra smooth, and can load a lot of ink. It also does not leak. I will never purchase for my collection ever again the type of pens where you just push the convertor inwards.

My favorite brands are Pilot (#1), Sailor, Noodler's, JinHao, and Duke. This does not count my vintage pens, which are mostly Parker or Diamond Point.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

FP189, it might help if you tell us where you live. Pilot makes pens for the international carts (pelikan carts) for Europe but they use Pilot carts in the States and Asia.

Hello FP189,

As I clear my throat.... please look to the left. :D

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

I went with a pilot vanishing point when I was sort of in your situation, love them. They are a heavier set pen though so if you like light and non metal steer clear. I know you said a Max of $50 but you can sometimes find them used for around $75 - $85.. not that much more of a leap. Or you could try with a Sheaffer 100, great pen as well for the pricing.

For modern pens, Pilot by a mile. Favorites are the Custom Heritage 92 and the Vanishing Point.

For vintage, it's harder to say, as it's not just the brand, but what you can find, and in what condition. For practical take anywhere pens, I've had good luck with Esterbrook and Sheaffer.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Wearever, Esterbrook, Bic.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Platinum and Pilot, not ridiculously expensive and starts every time.

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)

Pilot and Faber-Castell both use international Pelikan-style cartridges, right?

And also, which Faber-Castell pens do you have? (I'm kind of a fan of wooden pens myself :))

Faber-Castell uses standard international (as does Pelikan), Pilot is Pilot cartridges.

The only Faber-Castell I have is a BASIC in leather with a Fine Nib (had one in Carbon Fiber before , until it broke with a crack down the section)

The exception to Pilot taking only Pilot Cartridges is the Pilot MR in certain European markets (called metropolitan in the US and cocoon in Japan, however Metro and Cocoon takes Pilot cartridges). Outside of that they take Pilot cartridges.

Edited by KBeezie

FP189, it might help if you tell us where you live. Pilot makes pens for the international carts (pelikan carts) for Europe but they use Pilot carts in the States and Asia.

I live in Europe.