Buying An M800

Andyroo

Hello everyone,

I've decided I want to buy an M800 and since this is a fairly big purchase for me I'd like to try and buy the right one.

With this in mind I'm after a little advice, mainly on the nib size but suggestions as to colour/trim/ink choice are welcome too.

My reference point in terms of nib size is the M400 nib I bought and fitted to my M215. I decided to go for a fine nib there and I'm very happy with that.

So my main question is, would the fine nib on an M800 run to the same width as the M400 or would it be broader and if so by how much?

As far as my colour/trim choice, I was looking at an M805 in blue/black but I'd quite like to get a matching pencil and I can only find that easily as a D800 blue/black.

Is the D800 a solid and reliable pencil, because if it isn't worth getting I might rethink my options on the pen colour? I will probably get some Pentel lead, which I assume will work ok in it.

If I go for the M800/D800 Pen and Pencil from the suppliers I've found I'll be able to get a Pelikan double case and a bottle of Edelstein for free with each respectively and I was going to get the plain black case and Topaz ink.

I hope I haven't bored you all by asking questions which must have been asked and answered many times already, any comments would be most welcome.

Andy

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andyroo

• georges zaslavsky

• Bo Bo Olson

• whych

The modern M800 nibs are the same thickness as the modern M400 nibs. These nibs are one grade thicker than the pre 97 nibs.

My recommendation will be no use to you but a Pelikan M800 with a broad nib is extremely nice to write with and looks amazing in blue/black. I also have a Pelikan with a fine nib but I`m not a fan at all of it even though I love Parker 51`s in fine nibs.

I do feel as if I'm being a bit boring getting the same size nib, but I'm not sure the wider nibs would suit me, even though my handwriting isn't all that small.

If you are buying a Pelikan new from an authorized dealer, then pick any nib you want to try, and if you don't like it you can exchange it for free using the Pelikan/Chartpak nib exchange service (but you have to do it with in a certain amount of time after purchase, 30 days I think). The only cost is shipping.

I have done this twice, and have been happy with the woman who takes care of this; I think her name is Abbi.

here is a link that talks about it toward the bottom of the page

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US.CMS.displayCMS.93711./choosing-the-right-nib

More props for Abi @ Chartpak. I have the factory IB in my M800 tortoise, a fabulous nib for a factory grind, but if you are predisposed to F nibs you doubtlessly will not care for this.

I think you might start off with just the m805 blue/silver for the time being, and before you know, end up accumulating all colours of the rainbow.

If you are buying a Pelikan new from an authorized dealer, then pick any nib you want to try, and if you don't like it you can exchange it for free using the Pelikan/Chartpak nib exchange service (but you have to do it with in a certain amount of time after purchase, 30 days I think). The only cost is shipping.

I have done this twice, and have been happy with the woman who takes care of this; I think her name is Abbi.

here is a link that talks about it toward the bottom of the page

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US.CMS.displayCMS.93711./choosing-the-right-nib

I'll be getting it from pelikanpens.co.uk, and I think they offer the exchange themselves from what I can gather so that is always a back up option.

More props for Abi @ Chartpak. I have the factory IB in my M800 tortoise, a fabulous nib for a factory grind, but if you are predisposed to F nibs you doubtlessly will not care for this.

I have considered the IB nib and I'm sure I'd enjoy it but I think I'd like this pen to write with an ordinary line, perhaps an extra IB nib unit might be an option in the future. I've got quite a few Rotring Artpens, Lamy Italics, etc in the meantime.

I think you might start off with just the m805 blue/silver for the time being, and before you know, end up accumulating all colours of the rainbow.

It's been a slippery slope with cheaper pens already!

I was going to order this today, but I've held off because it's a bank holiday here anyway and it won't arrive any quicker.

I've gone off the idea of the matching pencil, because as much as I'd like it - it's just a fancy thing to hold a bit of lead. I think the second slot in the case will be better occuipied with another pen further down the line. The good thing about this choice is that it opens up all the colour and trim options again, so it's looking very much like the Blue M805 is favourite again.

Hopefully I'll make my mind up finally by the end of next week.

Hi,

Just an observation about nib widths, lots of people rave about B & BB nibs, but for most people I think they are way too wide for everyday use, so they end up disappointed. I have a couple of great BB nibs (one in a vintage Pelikan M400 and one in a modern Sheaffer Balance) both are fantastic for signatures, but not ideal for more intensive writing.

I would always suggest that if you are going wide you try before you buy to avoid disappointment.

The Pelikan pencils are fine, I have them in various sizes, but are I think very overpriced for what they are (all of mine were bought way below retail prices)

Andy

Thanks for all the input here, I've gone and spent my money on other pens now (including Pelikans) so the M8xx is on the backburner until xmas I think.

I'll show you all what I bought instead when it comes.

If you are buying new, get an M, and if it's too wide for you you have some 5 weeks to exchange the nib for the F.

I'm not a big fan of EF...but that's me.

The 800 will be a nail, not the semi-nail of a 400/600. It won't take 200/400/600 nibs.

It is a thicker, heavier back weighted Large pen.

Not my thing....for a pen with a nice girth, the light and nimble medium large 600 with a springy regular flex 200 nib would be nice. I have a 400n's semi-flex B in mine. Vintage B is a writing nib not a signature nib.

I'm lucky to have vintage pens...out side of butter smooth, the 600's semi-nail nib of mine less than impressive. I do want a nib with a bit of life to it.

Now on my list of pens to get as soon as my boat the Flying Dutchman gets into port, is a '87-89 800 with a very, very nice springy nib.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 month later...

get an older pre 1996 m800 better than the knew ones

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time