My Rescued Mystery Montblanc.

chunya

I did include this button-filler pen on a thread a while back when I bought it together with two vintage MB pencils. Unfortunately the pen was in a right state, the button was damaged and together with the pressure bar had totally corroded and 'fused' to the barrel.

I sent it off to Eric (eckiefump) and got it back this week, and he managed to resurrect it. Thank you Eric, you did a wonderful job as usual!

It writes beautifully,if you get the angle right, smoother than I can recall any pen writing, and the nib is steel.

It still remains a bit of a mystery as other than OB on the blind cap,and the MB logo on the barrel, there is no other indication of what model it might be.

ps.... this is the pen that has no star on the cap, nor any indication that it ever had one.

fpn_1408639490__dsc05601.jpg

fpn_1408639535__dsc05602.jpg

fpn_1408639579__dsc05603.jpg

Edited by chunya

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chunya

• Maxpens

• JLS1

• mb128pl

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a Frankenpen? (MB nib/feed mated to a replacement body & cap?)

That thought originally crossed my mind, but the blind cap is obviously original, so from that I assume the barrel must be,and the cap has the MB logo......Montblanc & the mountain. There have been other examples discussed where the star/snowcap has been absent.

These pens became made after the WW 2 for the "winner team " in this case for the English occupying force. The north of Germany including Hamburg has been reserved for the English forces. Some other parts of Germany for the Russian, French and American forces.

kind regards

Max

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

Hi.

The pen must be a threehundred and something war pen - fitted with a marked white line star. Either the top is replaced or the marked star is worn away. try to take a very close up look on the top with a magnifier :-)

Nice writing by the way ;-)

Regards Martin

These pens became made after the WW 2 for the "winner team " in this case for the English occupying force. The north of Germany including Hamburg has been reserved for the English forces. Some other parts of Germany for the Russian, French and American forces.

kind regards

Max

Interesting. Thanks for the information, Max!

Facts like this make me more and more intrigued by vintage MBs.

That is an interesting pen, chunya. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Very nice, I glad it came back to you in working condition. I hope you get many years of use from it. In my experience these vintage MBs are workhorses.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

kind regards

Max

Thank you Max,that is very interesting ......so were these pens given Model numbers or were they just mass produced without one? Does this also explain the absence of the star/snowcap

Hi.

The pen must be a threehundred and something war pen - fitted with a marked white line star. Either the top is replaced or the marked star is worn away. try to take a very close up look on the top with a magnifier :-)

Nice writing by the way ;-)

Regards Martin

Hi Martin, Absolutely no evidence of there ever having been a star/snowcap ...... In my entire life, no-one has ever complimented me on my writing ....a real FIRST! :)

Hi Chunya,

this pen did not have the white star. Nice pen ... I also have one in my collection.

Best

Michael

www.fountainpen.de - the website for Montblanc and Astoria collectors

logo.gif

Hi Chunya,

this pen did not have the white star. Nice pen ... I also have one in my collection.

Best

Michael

Thanks Michael, and I agree, it is a lovely pen. I would never have thought a year ago that i would even buy a pen without a gold nib, I am slowly being educated and enlightened.

Nice little pen! Not to common :)

Wasn't it called the 44 Ersatz (Ersatz = substitute)?

Interesting material which feels different from the normal MB materials of that time. I have one, too :P

Cheers

Michael

Nice little pen! Not to common :)

Wasn't it called the 44 Ersatz (Ersatz = substitute)?

Interesting material which feels different from the normal MB materials of that time. I have one, too :P

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael

I think you're right .... As Michael (fountainpende) says, he has one, and with your description I tracked it down one down that Tom is selling here

http://www.penboard.de/shop/hlist/MB/VIWAR/0

Identical in most respects apart from the fact that mine does not have a star nor even a hint of there ever being one) nor the '44', but it does have the nib impressed on the blind cap (OB) whereas Michael's has an obscure 'v'.

Many thanks to you all .....mystery all but solved.

Edited by chunya