Your Frequently Used Inks Recently? Why You Selected?

Buzzie

My most commonly used work ink is plain old Pilot/Namiki Blue. It's not an exciting ink but it suits my purposes well. I prefer Waterman Serenity, Inspired and Mysterious Blues as well as Tender Purple for my vintage pens, particularly the lever fillers.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gwyneddd

• rafizip

• amberleadavis

• Vlad72

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe in the beginning it depended on what's available, considering that I didn't reside in the Western world.

Then I was after colors I liked and ones that behaved well and were safe in my pens.

1. Montblanc Bordeaux which I think is a lovely color.

2. Montblanc Midnight Blue because appropriate for work and not boring as regular blues or blacks.

3. Oyster Grey which used to dislike but now love. Comes out totally unexpected from black 149 pleasant surprise.

Montblanc Royal Blue in my Custom 74 M nib. Good flow, good colour, good behaviour, and a really nice bottle. A shade of blue I really like, it's somewhat basic but it's just the right blue for me.

Iroshizuku Take-Sumi in my Lamy 2000 F nib. Love the matte black that comes out of it once dry.

Iroshizuku Yama-Budo in my Metal Falcon SF nib. The shading is really interesting.

Right now, J. Herbin Cafe Des Iles in my Waterman Hemisphere M nib. Changing it soon to Montblanc Collodi or Montblanc Toffee Brown. I have yet to decide.

I also need something to put in my Pelikan M600. For the moment, it is inked up with Waterman Serenity Blue. (It is an old pen, so my first fill was with this ink as I know it will not damage the pen and will allow me to assess the pen's capabilities very neutrally.) Maybe Caran d'Ache Idyllic Blue? I love it as well. Waterman Mysterious Blue? Or MB Leonardo Red Chalk... I still need to think on it.

Cheers,

Martin.

"La libre communication des pensées et des opinions est un des droits les plus précieux de l’Homme : tout Citoyen peut donc parler, écrire, imprimer librement, sauf à répondre de l’abus de cette liberté, dans les cas déterminés par la Loi."

https://www.instagram.com/penultimatepost

For my fountain pens

• Waterman black and Cross/Pelikan black (ink is matched to the flow characteristic of the pen), my old personal/business color
  • Waterman blue and Cross/Pelikan blue (ink is matched to the flow characteristic of the pen), my replacement for black, but it did not work out, I'm still using black.
  • Waterman green (to be joined by another green when I can select one), green has become my personal color, replacing black.
  • Sheaffer red, just to have a red ink
  • Sheaffer red+black mix, I'm trying to get a REALLY DARK red / black with a tint of red, as an alternate to black ink.
  • Sheaffer turquoise (stand in for peacock blue)
  • Sheaffer black (for my calligraphy pens)

For my dip pens:

• Higgins Eternal
  • Daniel Smith Walnut ink
  • Sheaffer turquoise (stand in for peacock blue)
Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

During the last month:

Pelikan 4001 blue-black in my red M205 Pelikan (my new EDC) and my MB 234 1/2 (for practice using a BB nib)

Pelikan 4001 black in my M200 (for a short trip)

R&K Salix in my Pelikan 400NN (for cheaper paper)

MB Royal blue in my MB 146 (it is so pretty!)

Noodlers black in my P51 (will write on any paper)

Parker Penman Sapphire in my Esterbrook J (also pretty!)

Next month will be time to take some of my purples out to play (like Akkerman Simplisties violet or Wateman Tender purple) and to change ink in my MB 146 to MB Irish green!!!

(3) Noodlers Black Eel, selected for bulletproof qualities and formal color, in a newly acquired black 1948 Parker "51" vac with a gorgeous sterling cap

Might want to rethink that, as Noodler's could possibly melt the rubber diaphragm.

The most recent inks I got were Diamine Asa Blue, Diamine Eclipse, and Herbin Bleu Nuit -- all chosen as inks that should be safe to use in vintage pens, as well as my modern bulb-fillers.

Edited by tonybelding

Currrently have pens inked with the following:

Levenger Pomegranate - diluted 1:2 | P45

Waterman Serenity Blue | Esterbrook J & P51 Special

Noodler's Apache Sunset |Waterman Phileas

Pelikan 4001 Blue Black |Pelikan M205

Diamine Blue Black | Pelikan M150

Diamine Classic Red | Pilot Metropolitan

Diamine Steel Blue | Pelikan 120 M & K

Diamine Sherwood Green | Pelikan M205

Susemai Blue Balls |Parker IM Premium Twin Chiselled, P45 Flighter, Al Star

Total of 11 pens. Blue Balls and Serenity Blue are in multiple pens.

Two uninked pens and two Noodlers - Black & 54th Massachusetts

Plus more Susemai inks I am testing.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have about 17 pens inked-up, but recently I have used:

Herbin Lie de The, to write a story-letter to my 5 year old godson

Quink Black in my Noodler's Ahab, to add artwork to the letters. I've used it with watercolours to get a nice pen-and-wash effect (the story was about a goldfish)

And today I'll be using Herbin Rouge Haematite to write another story-letter, this time about a dragon.

I mainly use my pens to write to my godson and other little kids, so I have lots of different colours ready to go. I've just acquired some Noodler's Blue Ghost and will be sending a keyring UV torch to my godson so he can hunt for secret messages in the letters too :)

UK-based pen fan. I love beautiful ink bottles, sealing wax, scented inks, and sending mail art. Also, thanks to a wonderful custom-ground nib by forum member Bardiir, I'm currently attempting calligraphy after years of not being able to do so due to having an odd pen-grip :D

(3) Noodlers Black Eel, selected for bulletproof qualities and formal color, in a newly acquired black 1948 Parker "51" vac with a gorgeous sterling cap

Aloha -

Might want to rethink that, as Noodler's could possibly melt the rubber diaphragm.

The most recent inks I got were Diamine Asa Blue, Diamine Eclipse, and Herbin Bleu Nuit -- all chosen as inks that should be safe to use in vintage pens, as well as my modern bulb-fillers.

Is that for all Noodler EEL inks or just the Black one?

Reason I ask is that from reading this forum, EEL inks are rather safe.

Diamine Asa Blue

Mont Blanc Irish Green

Noodlers Black Swan in Australian Roses

Noodlers V-Mail Midway Blue

Noodlers V-Mail Burma Rd, Brown

Sheaffers Peacock Blue

Paradise Pens Turquoise

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

54th Massachusetts in my Lamy Safari, I love the colour, but at the moment mainly use it because of its permanence and water resistance in my work notes.

Diamine Twilight in my TWSBI Vac700 for drafts of a chapter I'm writing.

Lamy Red in my Lamy Vista for editing.

Inks: Waterman Serenity Blue, Diamine Blue-black, Diamine Twilight, Lamy Red, Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Montblanc Irish Green, Lamy Turquoise, Pelikan 4001 Brown

Pens: Lamy Safari Black M nib, Lamy Vista M nib, Sheaffer Targa F nib, TWSBI Vac700 demonstrator 1.1 nib, Pelikan M200 Cognac M nib

Mostly Noodler's Black, cos it's a low-maintenance, permanent black that's fun to draw with (as well to write with).

Faber Castell Stone Grey, cos I like how it looks paired with a Nakaya Piccolo (F) - feels like writing with a very sharp pencil, and I like that.

KWZI Blue #3 (or, as I'm told, EtherX Blue (honored!) (I mean, I feel honored)), cos it's soooooo pretty.

Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo, cos I'm about to take a trip for several weeks, and I had refilled and sealed a few Platinum cartridges with it, and I like having a contrast ink to the black.

Platinum Mix Free Silky Purple-Sunny Yellow (1:1 ratio), for a gorgeous red. Cos - wow! Lovely color.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I always have Noodler's Heart of Darkness in one pen, as it's my go-to black.

Apache Sunset, because, I mean, it's gorgeous. I am not a fan of orange, but it's one of my favorites.

Noodler's Liberty's Elysium is my go-to blue right now.

Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses (old formula) in

I've had Diamine Red Dragon in my Lamy Safari forever, but I'm going to switch to samples so I can get through them faster.

Except for those, usually I have samples running through my other 14 inked pens. I use the sample up before I switch, so it takes awhile with that many pens.

I am switching this week from De Atrimentis Cucumber to Diamine Apple Glory because the Cucumber was too wishy-washy for me, even though I still had a little bit of the sample left.

Just got my first shipment of samples from Goulet -- so far I'm in love with Iroshizuku Syo-ro but there are a few Noodler's that I'm itching to try **must go clean pens**

post-115153-0-77831700-1408759136.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 to-go pens, Picasso Montmatre and Parker Frontier are as always filled with Diamine Jet Black and Cultpen"s Deep Dark Red respectively. I like black inks and the Picasso is a rather dry writer but well behaved with a wet ink like Jet Black. Deep Dark Red seems to be a perfect match for the Frontier and matches the pen"s colour. These two pens and ink are never part of the rotation like the rest of my pens.

Presently in rotation

Waterman Serenity Blue in my Hemisphere at the moment - I have really come to like that ink, very well behaved and a nice rich blue that is not too extravagant to be used for business.

Aurora Black in my Italix Parson"s - I have had the bottle in my drawer for a long time after the initial test run, but I have recently used it in several different pens. It is a nice rich black and gives a good lubrication without being too wet.

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

I use black Paradise Pen ink usually.

I have to use black ink for school and it's cheap.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Over the last month I've used the following inks:

- Diamine Bilberry in Pelikan M1000 M nib: The M1000 used to be my wettest writer and I had only used Bilberry in my medium nib Lamy 2000. The ink is by far my favorite color and I wanted to see how much shading I would get in a *very* wet pen. Didn't change very much at all, the ink is a superb color but it doesn't shade at all.

- Diamine Sunset in TWISBI 580 AL M nib: The pen was a birthday gift from my mother and I have to have an orange ink in one of my pens because I always have a dark purple/blue in another pen and the colors complement each other really well.

- Diamine Syrah in Pilot Vanishing Point Purple 2008 LE B nib: I had fallen in love with how Syrah looked in swabs and I just had to try it in my first Vanishing Point. I had already tried Diamine Oxblood and although I like the color very much it is too brownish to be picked over MB Toffee Brown. But Syrah is just the best wine color there is! Absolutely fantastic ink and writes very well in my VP.

- J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite in Pilot Vanishing Point Pink 2011 LE B nib: I love sheen and this ink is known as THE sheening ink. This was part of my order from La Couronne du Comte and it is a very fun ink. At first I thought it could be one of my daily use inks but after some time I realized that it is too impractical. Doesn't clean easily and is a little bit finicky while using, because it dries up to a crust on the pen.

- Private Reserve Electric DC Blue in Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal LE B nib: The pen and the ink was also part of the aforementioned order and I simply filled the pen with this ink as soon as I could get it out of its box with my shaking hands. The ink is absolutely amazing. Great, saturated, vibrant blue and the flow and the lubrication probably couldn't be better. The ink is amazingly wet (just the way I like it) but I discovered that it is pretty much unusable in the HS Crystal (my new wettest writer) without suffering bleedthrough on pretty much all papers. Actually the only paper that didn't bleed with this combo was 160 gsm paper that I used in a notebook I stitched myself. Rhodia, Clairefontaine etc have all suffered from bleedthrough.

- Diamine Twilight in Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal LE B nib: About 3 months ago I had bought around 10 different bottles of Diamine inks and Twilight and Midnight was in that order. I had tested the inks and I remember that I had disliked one of these two and loved the other one. I thought it was Twilight that I had loved but alas, no, it turned out to be Midnight. The ink is a great performer and actually looks pretty decent on the paper but it just doesn't make my heart skip a beat. I dumped the ink in the pen after a day's use.

- Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki in Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal LE B nib: This is currently what I have in the pen. Kon-Peki is very much loved by everyone (me too!). It is a great performing ink but it also doesn't make my heart skip a beat. I haven't dared to use Bilberry in the HS yet but I'm guessing that it will be the next. Either that or Sargasso Sea. The only thing that's holding me back is that both those inks are known to stain pens. Dunno what to do.

Recent use:

Parker Quink Blue Black (but Waterman's Blue Black is nicer)

Pelikan Black - very formal - very smooth

Sheaffer Blue - have a bottle so why not use it.

Just ordered my first non-black or blue ink; Waterman Audacious Red for my "editing" at work

Right now:

- Noodler's Borealis Black

- Montblanc Royal Blue

- Diamine Poppy Red - last pen filled before the SitB contamination

- Noodler's Bad Blue Heron

- Noodler's Polar Blue

- Iroshizuku Take-Sumi

Preference is for Iroshizuku inks where waterproofness isn't needed, but they are a bit wet for a couple of vintage pens. Borealis Black works shockingly well in the Waterman 412, but it's also some of the thickest ink I've ever seen. The Montblanc was able to tame the old Keene lever filler

The Polar Blue I loaded to see how badly it would perform. My M400 appeared to have rejected it as it refused to fill fully from the bottle ;P

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan