Functionally What Is The Difference Between Inexpensive, Expensive And Super Expensive Pens?

firebug

If you buy a 1k item. You'll think about the 1k loss than the joy of using it.

Ah, I understand what you mean.

I think it often stems from how you are brought up and how you perceive value.There is, to my mind, a boundary beyond which the cost outstrips any conceivable personal value. I should stress the 'personal' part of this because our individual boundaries (if we have them) will differ. And yet they will ALL still be valid to us as individuals.

There is no right and wrong here. I think MB, for example, are over-priced (personal value ethic), lacking in style (personal taste), and functionally no different from pens at a fraction of the price (personal pragmatism). All of these points feed into my Personal Boundary EffectTM and tell me that I am not going to buy one.

Of course that's all simplified. I am sure the actual subconscious process is magnitudes of order more weird.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• Icywolfe

• Koyote

• Baric

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coming back to the original question. I am not sure that everybody has the same definition of functionality. A ballpoint might have the same pure functionality as a fountain pen (and with less hassle). But if the functionality is writing with a certain amount of pleasure (the 'FP experience'), than also other things could become functional. E.g. the feel of the plastic/precious resin, the balance, etc.

Furthermore, some people might actually enjoy some of the hassle. E.g. filling up with ink.

So, in order to answer your question, I would like to ask what exactly is for you part of the 'functionality' and what isn't. Is filling a part of the functionality? Weight, balance, materials?

Functionally nothing. They all take ink and then deliver it to the paper.

There are differing levels in the quality of materials used (steel vs gold nib for example) and some pens are better constructed than others.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Any newly-acquired, modern pen gets a thorough flushing before first ink. A good fountain pen writes reliably until the

in supply is depleted. So far, the best of the Jinhao's , I have tried, is the x250. ($3.74). I also have a Pelikan Souveran.

($300) What did I get for the additional $296 ? Was it worth it ?

The comparison is interesting and fun.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

@ Ivda, you are right, functionality is different for different folks. For me it's the unhindered ink flow, evenness of the flow at different angles, no scratchiness and a lot more. Actually, that is what I want to know, what does functionality mean for different folks and on those parameters how do they feel the inexpensive vs expensive vs super expensive perform.

@ sasha, u have only added to the mystery further. LOL.

I get from this conversation that durability of the pen is another one of the factors, apart from the ones that directly impact the core function of writing.

But keep more rolling on! Waiting waiting to fathom a few more.

I really prefer cheaper things that work, I don't believe that fanciness is a requirement for quality. I once thought that getting a Prera was the closer I would ever get to buying a more expensive pen, but now I really want to spend near $100 on a better pen. I want something that is more precisely built, have better looks, is a bit bigger, and use some different feed/nib design. At this price range I believe there are obvious differences in quality. Having a nib that write as well as that great cheap pen you have doesn't mean they work the same. Sometimes a pen has a great nib but the feed does not attach well, or it can tear apart quickly, or even has some gripping issues, lack of weight, lack of a good fitting cap and so on. We are not seeking just a great nib, there is more to it.

It all depends on what you consider functionality. If you limit that to just "does it put ink on the paper over a short lifespan" then some inexpensive pens I've experienced would do fine. If though you include looks, feel, fit, finish, materials and attention to detail you might get totally different answers.

The function of a fountain pen is to put ink to paper. A Pilot Varsity does this very well for a couple of bucks. I don't take pleasure in holding it, looking at it, admiring it, etc... That seems to cost a couple hundred bucks extra.

I'm probably going to be spending upwards of $1,000 on a pen in the future. But it is going to be one of my designs with a material i chose, which i think has never been used in a FP before. I can justify the amount because i am getting exactly what i want in a pen, and i am an active part in the building of this pen. While i know i would never get that sort of freedom with a $15 pilot metro.

The biggest difference occurs at $90 (some pens direct from Japan) to $150. Below this point you don't see solid gold nibs. Above this point, anything other than gold is rare. Not that gold is always better, it just is always more expensive.

Above this point you can start to see more interesting materials, better craftsmanship, and unique designs.

At a certain price point, you start to see high prices simply because the company wants it. You pay for advertising, expensive storefronts, and other luxury aspects as the company tries to convince you they are worth it.

Hell, we don't choose FPs for practically, since cheap Japanese gel pens and rollerballs are perfectly reliable and cheaper writing tools. So, these debates about the price level at which a FP goes from sensible to frivolous are pretty silly. All FPs are frivolous in this day and age.

All FPs are frivolous in this day and age

To those who appreciate the quality of the total writing experience there is nothing frivolous about FPs. The fact that most people seem happy to effect their scratchings with seriously uninspiring instruments like ballpoint pens and gelpens doesn't render the FP frivolous. It's true we don't choose FPs for practicality, we choose them because the experience exceeds that of using other options.

Edited by Cryptos

This sort of topic comes up now and again, and it's always interesting to read other peoples' takes on the subject.

For me, I started out with mostly inexpensive (read $25 US and under) the first year. And I liked them for the most part. Then last year I got into vintage pens. A lot. Some, like the Esties, were still mostly in the "inexpensive" ballpark. Others, like the Parker 51s and Vacs, less so, but still (even with repairs on a few of them) were still in the <$100 price range. This year I did a bit more expensive, but fewer pens.

And the short answer to the OP's question is, "it depends". The Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise is my most expensive pen by far -- and is a joy to write with. Smooth, the perfect size weight and balance for my hand, a springy and wet nib; and it's beautiful, besides. But I reach for the Parker 51s (a third to half the price of the 400) as much because they're superb writing instruments. And for the $40 Noodler's ebonite Konrad. And for my cheap Parker Vectors. Go figure.

The 400 has probably the best nib of any pen I own, but the $10 Parker 45 -- the only pen that I can call anywhere close to being a "sumgai" -- has nearly as nice a nib. The writing experience is slightly better in the 400, because it's a bigger pen in girth than the 45 (and I found that I prefer piston fill systems over pretty much anything else). The 51s are classy, with understated elegance. The Sheaffer Snorkel that I got fixed at DCSS is fun to fill and write with (but I'm not overly keen on the EF nib); but so is the Parker 61. Those two pens ended up costing more than any of the 51s did, but I'm glad I bought them. I also like my $14 or less Noodler's FPCs, and my (somewhat moderately priced) Vacs (okay, the Shadow Wave is turning towards the pricy side of things, but the Silver Pearl Major I got for less than I remembered paying -- in fact, even with shipping it was less than the 51s.

All of them have their plusses and an minuses.

I have acquired 3 Pelikans this year: the 400 was a splurge. I don't do many splurges. It's a better pen than the 200 because the nib is a little smoother -- but the 200 was a gift from a friend. So, free (and she got it on Freecycle -- so, for her it was also free, other than maybe having to go get it). And the 100 with the 1 mm nib? Under $50 on Ebay, and something a little different for me (although I think I want to maybe have a little work done on the nib, so that cost will go up. The best is in fact the most expensive of the three, but that doesn't mean I discount the other two.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My top end to date has bumped right up against $100. ($99) That being said, I have 2 or 3 that had MSRP numbers over that though. A couple of M205's which at Binder run $130 or so.new.

I have no desire to spend even $150 at present. Although I was tempted on a Pelikan 140 @$160 this summer. Timing was wrong though. There was a LE M200 at that number as well. It had never been inked.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

To those who appreciate the quality of the total writing experience there is nothing frivolous about FPs. The fact that most people seem happy to effect their scratchings with seriously uninspiring instruments like ballpoint pens and gelpens doesn't render the FP frivolous. It's true we don't choose FPs for practicality, we choose them because the experience exceeds that of using other options.

Don't get me wrong -- I like FPs. But language like yours ("uninspiring," "total writing experience") is meaningless, and reinforces my point.

Oh? How so?

Quote: But language like yours ("uninspiring," "total writing experience") is meaningless, and reinforces my point.

Savouring the flavour of good food cooked by a terrific chef is meaningless when, after all, you can simply shove a big Mac down yer neck!

Edited by Cryptos

I thought you were going to burn me at the stakes. After all I keep on seeing a MB pen as everyone's goal list, and they are praising it.

I have no pen shops nor pen shows nearby. =/ There is a jewelry store with a fine writing pen section. I walked in there and ever one gave me the looks of "hatred" and I'm sure in their mind they thought I was thief. Apparently it was due to me not wearing a suit.

I wouldn't mind not trying the pen. Afterall I got the VP and Justus95 even though many told me it's a waste of money. I love those pens. But the MB company doesn't make a "affordable" pen to show their line up. For Pilot the Varsity sold me. (And many other the Metro sold them.) I'm not entirely sure if the Pelikan brand got an affordable pen to show their line up. If they don't more than likely both of brands will stay on the bottom of the list. Affordable means sub 100 USD, not a 200 USD pen.

aye nae not for me... hahaha though my goal list goes into the pen turners of the forums... MOSTLY other than that you have GvFC Classic Anello and Visconti Opera Crystal which I keep on telling myself good luck with that demo Vac filling pen which is a PitA to clean

Hello Everyone,

I am back after a long hiatus. Just thought it's about time to tickle some mind buds of the fraternity. In about 8 months that I have been a silent bystander to the forum, I did something I generally don't do. I picked up a Lamy Safari, a Xinhao (please don't ask me the model), and added them to my stable of FPs.

As it is, I am magnetically attracted to anything new, I inked both of them. Moving away from OMAS, MB and Pelikan was a heavy hearted decision. These were trusted aides for writing.

Lo! I was in for a surprise, both the relatively inexpensive pens were also as much delight to write with. There were not major issues like drying up, scratchiness et al.

They kind of replaced my regular expensive writers for sometime, after which, as my nature goes, I yearn for something new. I shifted back to the expensive ones.

However one realization did dawn upon me for sure, rather, broke a perception that expensive things are always good. I had an equally good writing experience with xinhao and Lamy as I have with MB / OMAS or for that matter any other expensive brand.

Functionally they performed the same as any good expensive writing instrument!

More expensive does not guarantee a better writer. Some expensive pens are very good and some inexpensive pens are very good. So what does expensive get you? 1) Materials - the Safari writes well, but it's a plastic body. You won't get something like the lava resin body of a Visconti Homo Sapiens for the price of a Safari, 2) Gold versus steel nib - Gold doesn't necessarily mean better, but some people prefer them and of course gold costs more, 3) Filling mechanism - The intricate filling mechanism of something like a Pilot Custom 823 isn't something you're likely to find on a Safari. There are fairly inexpensive piston fillers (e.g. TWSBI Mini) but they're not quite the same and the great majority of inexpensive pens are cartridge / converter fillers, 4) Design - everyone has his own idea of what the most beautiful pen in the world looks like, but very few think that it's a pen that sells for $35.

Of course lots of people don't care about any of that, they just want to write with a fountain pen instead of a ballpoint and for those people a Safari or Pilot Metropolitan or something like that is the right choice.

Functionally, I have yet to find a difference, as long as a pen writes.

I think that what you are paying for is: Materials used, workmanship, quality control, service, art/limited edition factor and brand name. The ratio between these things and the price should be balanced in some way.

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

Does functionality go further than just "being able to write"? Should it include whether you get cramps when you write? If my hand cramps up, then I can no longer write. If you cannot write, then why have a pen in the first place? Of course, this may vary for people as not everyone has the same "cramp tolerance". Through no fault of the pen's "function" itself, you cease to be able to perform a task that is essential to the operation of the product. So, does this mean that it is still performing since it technically lays down ink, or has it failed due to the fact that the user cannot write with the pen?