Functionally What Is The Difference Between Inexpensive, Expensive And Super Expensive Pens?

firebug

Hello Everyone,

I am back after a long hiatus. Just thought it's about time to tickle some mind buds of the fraternity. In about 8 months that I have been a silent bystander to the forum, I did something I generally don't do. I picked up a Lamy Safari, a Xinhao (please don't ask me the model), and added them to my stable of FPs.

As it is, I am magnetically attracted to anything new, I inked both of them. Moving away from OMAS, MB and Pelikan was a heavy hearted decision. These were trusted aides for writing.

Lo! I was in for a surprise, both the relatively inexpensive pens were also as much delight to write with. There were not major issues like drying up, scratchiness et al.

They kind of replaced my regular expensive writers for sometime, after which, as my nature goes, I yearn for something new. I shifted back to the expensive ones.

However one realization did dawn upon me for sure, rather, broke a perception that expensive things are always good. I had an equally good writing experience with xinhao and Lamy as I have with MB / OMAS or for that matter any other expensive brand.

Functionally they performed the same as any good expensive writing instrument!

That is what I have come to believe.

However, some of you, who could also help put finer functional differences between the inexpensive and expensive FPs, it would atleast be a reason to buy an expensive FP.

Think about it, let me know. Waiting to hear.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• Icywolfe

• Koyote

• Baric

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is Jinhao spelled Xinhao where you're at?

Also what's the price range you consider Inexpensive, Expensive, and Super-Expensive?

I can't really answer much in regards to pens over the $200 USD price range as I've never spent more than 100 per pen (some retail for close to 200, but importing rather than buying domestically can be cheaper for some, or used for that matter). Just mainly curious where your price thresholds are and if you're simply aiming at reliability/functionality or other aspects of a pen.

The most expensive pen I have is the Pilot Justus95. And I knew where my money went: Con70, 14k nib, Adjustable nib.

So far my 2 expensive pens the Pilot VP and my Justus95 has something where the money is going. I feel like after a certain point the money goes into the name. Like the MB146/149 I would not buy those pens are full price. Not even half. If they go around 150 USD I might think about it. But if Pilot makes some super cool pen techy pen for 200 USD or 300 USD. I'm getting that over the MB at 150 USD.

So all and all after a certain point in different companies you are paying for the name than the actual pen. That is how I feel. That is why Edison pens are not up in my goal list. All I see is I'm going to pay for a steel Jowo nib.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

The most expensive pen I have is the Pilot Justus95. And I knew where my money went: Con70, 14k nib, Adjustable nib.

So far my 2 expensive pens the Pilot VP and my Justus95 has something where the money is going. I feel like after a certain point the money goes into the name. Like the MB146/149 I would not buy those pens are full price. Not even half. If they go around 150 USD I might think about it. But if Pilot makes some super cool pen techy pen for 200 USD or 300 USD. I'm getting that over the MB at 150 USD.

So all and all after a certain point in different companies you are paying for the name than the actual pen. That is how I feel. That is why Edison pens are not up in my goal list. All I see is I'm going to pay for a steel Jowo nib.

I feel somewhat the same way about Montblanc, feeling like they're overpriced. But I would like to be able to least once write with one of the higher end MontBlanc before deciding whether or not I feel they're overpriced. Shame there's not a pen shop around here that would actually dip a MB and let you try it like a lot of the Japanese Pen shops do with most of their offerings.

I feel somewhat the same way about Montblanc, feeling like they're overpriced. But I would like to be able to least once write with one of the higher end MontBlanc before deciding whether or not I feel they're overpriced. Shame there's not a pen shop around here that would actually dip a MB and let you try it like a lot of the Japanese Pen shops do with most of their offerings.

I thought you were going to burn me at the stakes. After all I keep on seeing a MB pen as everyone's goal list, and they are praising it.

I have no pen shops nor pen shows nearby. =/ There is a jewelry store with a fine writing pen section. I walked in there and ever one gave me the looks of "hatred" and I'm sure in their mind they thought I was thief. Apparently it was due to me not wearing a suit.

I wouldn't mind not trying the pen. Afterall I got the VP and Justus95 even though many told me it's a waste of money. I love those pens. But the MB company doesn't make a "affordable" pen to show their line up. For Pilot the Varsity sold me. (And many other the Metro sold them.) I'm not entirely sure if the Pelikan brand got an affordable pen to show their line up. If they don't more than likely both of brands will stay on the bottom of the list. Affordable means sub 100 USD, not a 200 USD pen.

#Nope

i too agree a cheap pen such as my sailor clear candy @ $10 writes as good as my Heritage 1912. could i have bought 100 SCC's nope. Because I wanted a modern safety pen and i wasn't gonna pay the same amount if not more for a $9.00, 100 year old pen. imo that belongs in a museum not in my writing rotation. to me if a company like lamy can make great writing pens bet 30 and 120$ all the expensive brands you mentioned can too. But as long as people are brainwashed into believing that expensive pens offer better quality manufactures will keep shoveling extra cash into their pockets.

Oh there is no difference unless you consider ones vanity.

Edited by serpent

"Affordable" means something different to everyone. I buy a pen because I think it will have a good nib, have good ergonomics and be beautiful on top of that. Price is a vague consideration but if I really like something and can afford it I don't worry about the price too much. I have $700 pens and I have $20 pens, although I will admit there are far fewer at the lower end.

Whether a pen is worth whatever price is being asked is purely up to you. Everyone's criteria for "worth it" is different. It's like the old argument, VM Bug or Bentley? Both will get you from one point to the other, but most would agree there is a big difference in the quality of the car. And like most luxury goods, the higher you go, the less difference there is between vastly different price points.

"Affordable" means something different to everyone. I buy a pen because I think it will have a good nib, have good ergonomics and be beautiful on top of that. Price is a vague consideration but if I really like something and can afford it I don't worry about the price too much. I have $700 pens and I have $20 pens, although I will admit there are far fewer at the lower end.

I'm not going to give 1k to a mystery man on the street. So why would I give it to a mystery company. Sure the company has a name. But what use is the name if the insides could be complete garbage.

#Nope

Personally I think it is all a gamble. The more you spend the more you have to lose. Every pen is going to be smashed to smithereens eventually. Every pen is going to have its quirks. My Lamy and Noodler's pens work just fine and my dip pens are a joy to use. I can't imagine spending hundreds or thousands for a pen. Too much stress, and sure the quality is probably a little better but hundreds and thousands of dollars better? I just don't get enjoyment out of using something expensive just because it is expensive.

"Vae me, puto concacavi me!" -Seneca

ἄριστον μέν ὕδωρ μέλαν

Random rambling inbound

I think once you are some what into the pen as a hobby and starts romanticizing the pen the price tolerance becomes totally different than an average person. A person who just need something that puts down lines on paper probably considers anything > $5 expensive, anything over $100 as luxury item.

At certain point we become more willing to open up the wallet because we become infatuated with the ideal, the material, and or the history associated with pen rather than the writing part alone. We began to feel like we need it even though rationally no one needs a pen of that price level. What once seemed expensive becomes money well spent because of the positive emotion of obtaining that item. The calibration of inexpensive-expensive-super expensive scale is altered with one's level of interest/infatuation and financial situation.

I once set the limit that I'd spent on 1 item at no more than $250 (The arbitrary line I set for all my hobbies such as Scale Models, Knives, Headphones, and Watches) and have since broken it thrice, first for the Pelikan M800 because I became obsessed with owning an iconic German piston filler with gold nib (bought it new in box for $270), second for a MB149 (used for $299) because I wanted to add the other iconic pen to my collection, and last for the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age ($310 used) because I became infatuated with the lava material. I once said to my self to never pay more than $100 for a pen with steel nib; and have broken that twice for Edison pens with pretty bodies, and am about to break that a 3rd time because the black rose acrylic calls out to me. Yet I feel no emotional need for any of the high priced urushi and maki-e pens, they do nothing for me.

Anyways, just remember, never pay retail full price if you can help it......

Edited by zchen

I'm not going to give 1k to a mystery man on the street. So why would I give it to a mystery company. Sure the company has a name. But what use is the name if the insides could be complete garbage.

I like to think I make an informed decision. If I'm going to spend that much on a pen, I have to REALLY like it and have a fair level of confidence in the quality. That is usually pretty easy to determine with a little effort and reading. Might there be a defect? Sure, it happens and if it does, I'll deal with it. I'm not just throwing a chunk of change at some random person. I know who I'm dealing with, at least to my satisfaction. If I like a pen and am willing to pay $1200 for it (say a certain Nakaya I've looking at), then by definition it IS worth it. To me, anyway. Your limits and expectations are not mine nor should they be.

If all you are looking for is a functional machine to lay ink on paper in a controlled, manual fashion, you have a zillion options, some of them costing less than a McD's Happy Meal. And they work. But I'll take my Nakaya over your Jinhao any day, even though they both write just fine.

Edited by Baric

@Kbeezie, I can't thank you enough. I just checked the name of the FP, it's Jinhao. I just went by the way the shopkeeper spelled it out.

As you mentioned what is expensive to someone is maybe inexpensive for another. Yet, in my perception, anything below 50 USD is inexpensive, anything between 51 USD to about 500 USD is expensive, and anything above it super expensive.

And yes, most of the times, the primary consideration is always functionality - which is ease of writing without applying too much pressure, balance of the pen, how it rolls around as you write alphabets apart from not being scratchy or too wet.

I still am finding what parameters comprise functionality as far as fountain pens go.

I mean, I can understand the difference between a toyota corolla and a Mercedez benz S class. As there are many parameters on which the car manufacturer can differentiate the car on. But for an FP?

I like to think I make an informed decision. If I'm going to spend that much on a pen, I have to REALLY like it and have a fair level of confidence in the quality. That is usually pretty easy to determine with a little effort and reading. Might there be a defect? Sure, it happens and if it does, I'll deal with it. I'm not just throwing a chunk of change at some random person. I know who I'm dealing with, at least to my satisfaction. If I like a pen and am willing to pay $1200 for it (say a certain Nakaya I've looking at), then by definition it IS worth it. To me, anyway. Your limits and expectations are not mine nor should they be.

If all you are looking for is a functional machine to lay ink on paper in a controlled, manual fashion, you have a zillion options, some of them costing less than a McD's Happy Meal. And they work. But I'll take my Nakaya over your Jinhao any day, even though they both write just fine.

Well anything is worth it if you bought it. To a extent.

I just would love for these high priced manufacturers to make even 1 affordable pen to represent their line. I'm not saying go make a Varsity clone, but maybe a 30 USD pen. that shows your line. If I'm not mistaken the Nakaya uses Platinum nibs. So I already know they must be good. Pelikan with their M200s are in the affordable range, slightly pushing it though. But I can see myself owning a M200 and if I like that maybe in the future I might own a M1000. (Unless they make a bigger pen) But I can't see myself own a 146/149 unless I was given that by a gift or I won a lottery and had money laying around. And then I would buy their entire collection, but after buying Pilot/Namiki's collection first.

#Nope

@Kbeezie, I can't thank you enough. I just checked the name of the FP, it's Jinhao. I just went by the way the shopkeeper spelled it out.

As you mentioned what is expensive to someone is maybe inexpensive for another. Yet, in my perception, anything below 50 USD is inexpensive, anything between 51 USD to about 500 USD is expensive, and anything above it super expensive.

And yes, most of the times, the primary consideration is always functionality - which is ease of writing without applying too much pressure, balance of the pen, how it rolls around as you write alphabets apart from not being scratchy or too wet.

I still am finding what parameters comprise functionality as far as fountain pens go.

I mean, I can understand the difference between a toyota corolla and a Mercedez benz S class. As there are many parameters on which the car manufacturer can differentiate the car on. But for an FP?

I think it's different for everyone. Some people simply want something that writes every time and don't have a huge preference on weight or balance, others need that silky smooth feel from the nib and loathe feedback, and some must have heavy or light pens and don't have a huge emphasis on the nib as long as it flows well.

The more expensive ones seems to tackle more of a specific area of preference be it the nib, smoothness, balance, weight/feel or all of the above.

For me I have a general feeling of this for my price range (namely what I seem to think is expensive etc around here, even if it's probably outside of my general price range).

$30 or less : Inexpensive

$50-$100 : reasonable if fulfills a need or specific purpose

$100-300 : Getting on the expensive realm

$300-800 : not "Super" Expensive, but I'd have to have a damn good reason to spend as much on a pen as I would one of my camera lens.

$800+ : Very to Super expensive, something I'd look at if I got some good expendable income or somehow a calligrapher or want an art piece on my mantel.

Thus far I've kept everything I purchased at or under the $100 price point even if the pens I got normally sell for higher (none of them retail more than $175).

Whether or not it's worth it is up to two things in my opinion:

- It's not hurting you Financially or Socially (ie: causing financial strife within a relationship etc).

- It serves a purpose either functionally, collection-wise or aesthetically.

Edited by KBeezie

I mean, I can understand the difference between a toyota corolla and a Mercedez benz S class. As there are many parameters on which the car manufacturer can differentiate the car on

Everyone's criteria for "worth it" is different. It's like the old argument, VM Bug or Bentley? Both will get you from one point to the other, but most would agree there is a big difference in the quality of the car.

See, this is where I have a problem. In all these arguments there are points made about the quality of the item - and that's fair enough to a point - but what is usually missing from these debates is the quality of our time in using them. I could (theoretically) get a Bentley tomorrow but it will not match the sheer joy in my memory of heading to the beach as a child in the family jalopy.

I may sit in the Bentley and wonder at the sheer opulence, quality of workmanship and so on, but there is no personal investment in it for me. Same with pens. A MB simply bought because the cash is available does not have the same resonance as that old Sheaffer's No Nonsense you used to write your first love letters.

Okay, so maybe I am stretching the point a little. Though I believe this is the principal reason why so many expensive purchases end up feeling a bit hollow and unsatisfying. It is not a fault of the items themselves; it is the lack of connection we have with them. Particularly the kind of connection that goes beyond mere desire. Connections may be built in time... maybe.

Anyway, that's how I feel about it.

Edited by Cryptos

See, this is where I have a problem. In all these arguments there are points made about the quality of the item - and that's fair enough to a point - but what is usually missing from these debates is the quality of our time in using them. I could (theoretically) get a Bentley tomorrow but it will not match the sheer joy in my memory of heading to the beach as a child in the family jalopy.

I may sit in the Bentley and wonder at the sheer opulence, quality of workmanship and so on, but there is no personal investment in it for me. Same with pens. A MB simply bought because the cash is available does not have the same resonance as that old Sheaffer's No Nonsense you used to write your first love letters.

Okay, so maybe I am stretching the point a little. Though I believe this is the principle reason why so many expensive purchases end up feeling a bit hollow and unsatisfying. It is not a fault of the items themselves; it is the lack of connection we have with them. Particularly the kind of connection that goes beyond mere desire. Connections may be built in time... maybe.

Anyway, that's how I feel about it.

Also in your mind you focus more on the money than the joy.

#Nope

Also in your mind you focus more on the money than the joy

Not me. I have never bought anything because it was expensive. And the vast majority of my treasured things are treasured because of joyous association. YMMV

Not me. I have never bought anything because it was expensive. And the vast majority of my treasured things are treasured because of joyous association. YMMV

Well I meant it as. If you buy a 1k item. You'll think about the 1k loss than the joy of using it.

#Nope

Well I meant it as. If you buy a 1k item. You'll think about the 1k loss than the joy of using it.

No, I won't. I think this is a fundamental difference in how we view things. If I spend $1K on something and as long as the item meets my expectations, I don't worry about the money. Otherwise I would not have bought it in the first place.