If You Are Happy With Your Cheap Pens, What Motivates You To Buy The Expensive Or Super Expensive

fpenluver

The status seekers are out there, whether they want envy from others or they appear larger in their own eyes. If their chattels are not flashy enough, they will walk up to you and try to bust your chops by showing them to you.

I was standing in a line at a college function, a few years ago, and was wearing a Pelikan M205 (demonstrator with gold trim, whatever model that is). The guy standing in front of me was evidently a fountain pen geek because he took the MontBlanc out of his pocket and twiddled it under my nose. Neener neener, huh? :lticaptd:

I would show you why a VP is better in durability than that. =P (You said wearing so front pocket. Which means a lot of heat/coldness from the weather. the VP is sealed tightly.)

And to the other guy I would show him why you shouldn't bring a 1k pen out in public in the open. Accidental trip? (Okay that was sort of mean, but why bring a 1k pen out in public when you can "accidentally" drop it.)

That said I did use some blingy pens from Jinhao in public only because all their pens are blingy and it was cheap. I wouldn't mind losing them, but those caught other people's eyes than a VP.

-----

If a guy comes up to me showing off his MB 149 I would say "how many days in nightlife you worked?" (Think about it you'll understand.) It's just for me I see no value in the MB pens. What I see a pen with a name, and nothing more.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpenluver

• Brian K

• Icywolfe

• LamyOne

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love my cheapies. I also love my "expensive" pens (expensive to my budget). I bought a Sailor 1911 21K because it was a good price, and I wanted to see if it really was as good as hyped (it was and is). I bought a Namiki Custom 742 with FA nib, because I wanted to try a modern flex pen. I got a Namiki Falcon in a trade for another pen I could not bond with (Pelikan M200), because I wanted to check the differences between the two "flex" nibs from the same maker (Pilot, a brand I own more of than any other). I have a couple of Bexleys because the first one was a bargain, and I really wanted the second one, which looks like a shorter Big Red Duofold. Love them both. Early on I purchased some higher price (>$50 to me) pens, most of which I still have. The remainder are $50 or less. I have eclectic tastes, having Diamond Point vintage flex, P 51 and 21 vintage, a few other miscellaneous second and third tier vintage, and lots of Chinese and Japanese modern pens. I like each of them for their different characteristics. If Noodler's releases the Neoponset for a reasonably affordable price, Noodler's might displace Pilot as my most populous brand. I have several of the creapers, a resin Konrad and an ebonite Konrad, and a green swirl ebonite with aero filler, but no flex.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Not even counting vintage pens, I was happy with some of my cheap pens when they were all that I had, an FP-78G with a medium nib, a Lamy AL-Star, for that matter, the 7 pack of Pilot Varsities. The motivation for trying something more expensive was to see if I could find something that was even nicer. Some of the pens that I paid over $100 for were no improvement at all, but I'll badmouth specific models in a different thread. Others were so much nicer to write with than my good cheapies, that I don't feel like going back. Some of those I will mention, Pilot Vanishing Point and Custom Heritage 92, a Lamy 2000. And a discontinued early 1980s Montblanc model, a Noblesse, wasn't that great when I got it, but after additional money dropped for a nib regrind, it became arguably the nicest writer I have.

So the answer is that I paid extra money in hopes of getting better performance. Of course, at some price point you hit diminishing returns for performance and durability, and that's where I drop out. And if I'd never tried my better pens, I'd still be happy with the cheaper ones, and smug about not having wasted my money. :D

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

If you are satisfied with hamburger why pay to eat steak?

we could actually have hamburger steak :).

Actually, I cant imagine having hamburger everyday, but I could do with my cheap pens everyday and happy with that.

The status seekers are out there, whether they want envy from others or they appear larger in their own eyes. If their chattels are not flashy enough, they will walk up to you and try to bust your chops by showing them to you.

I was standing in a line at a college function, a few years ago, and was wearing a Pelikan M205 (demonstrator with gold trim, whatever model that is). The guy standing in front of me was evidently a fountain pen geek because he took the MontBlanc out of his pocket and twiddled it under my nose. Neener neener, huh? :lticaptd:

OK, so there are some status seeking morons out there, but that doesn't mean everyone is like that. I can't afford the M205 demonstrator you have. Does that mean I'm supposed to assume you're one of them and that you'll lord it over me if you see me "wearing" one of my P45s? No, I'll just think you have a nice pen and ask if I might have a look at it. If you're going to assume everyone who has a more expensive pen than you only does it to one up you then you might just as well leave the nice pens at home and carry a G2. Then you'll just slip under their radar.

DO NOT worry about whatever anyone else thinks about their, or your pens. In the grand scheme of things they're still just sticks filled with ink. There are (bleep) everywhere and there's no point in letting them win by getting under your skin. And if you dis someone else's expensive pen, or their reason for carrying it, out of reverse snobbery, well, that's just another form of wankery!

To paraphrase, life's too short to worry about what someone else writes with or why they write with it. Crayola or Namiki Emperor, we all make our own choices and it's our own business.

Regards,

Brian

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

And to the other guy I would show him why you shouldn't bring a 1k pen out in public in the open. Accidental trip? (Okay that was sort of mean, but why bring a 1k pen out in public when you can "accidentally" drop it.)

I have a 149 I bought many years ago (30?) when it cost the grand sum of $279 - I was making more money back then - back before it was marketed as some sort of nouveau riche status symbol. I bought it because I had heard great things about them as writing instruments. I have used it on and off over the yearsa s my daily carry pen. I have not babied it and it shows. It's a pen. It puts ink on paper and does a darned fine job of it. I would no more think of leaving it at home for fear of damaging it than I would leave my eyeglasses at home because they cost more. It may just be the toughest pen I own. I do not regret spending what I did on it and, amortized over 30 years, I think it has given exceptional value. For most of that time it was the only fp I owned and $9.30 a year is MUCH less that even those who only use cheap...err...inexpensive pens spend on them in a year.

YMMV

Regards,

Brian

Edited by Brian K

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

to me I'm happy but I think that just digs into my utilitarian taste its not about the glits and glamour at the end of the day it's how you feel about writing if the business end of the pen does write no manner the price in the end it's just a dud but hey my grail pens arent exactly utilitarian considering what I think GvFC Classic Anello would be quite a heavy pen and that Visconti Opera Crystal... yeah...

though it's more of a location basis... of course there's still the fear of having your 1K USD pen stolen lost or what ever happens beyond our control but of course there is my constant fear of hard to replace pens being lost... :X considering that I have a Faber-Castell pen and a Pilot pen which is quite hard for me to replace due to the fact we dont have any distributors here for their FPs

Edited by Algester

IMHO it does not work both ways - unless you are in the top x% earner. $50 is about few hrs of work for an average joe in developed countries. So, I think it is fair to say under $50 as cheap (in developing countries this figure would probably be $5 or $10). Hence, in essence my question is what makes you willing to spend your entire week, month or even year income for this pen if you are happy with your cheap pens. This would be a very big decision especially for an average income earner who has a family to support, rent to pay, etc. However, if you are top 1% income earner this may not make sense to you, because $1000 mont blanc could be just a day worth work.

I was referring to your first question :

"So, if you fall into this category (you love your cheapies), what motivate you to buy the more expensive or super expensive ones?"

In this question you didn't base cheap on someones income or income status... you could be a millionaire and enjoy less expensive pens... I know established famous writers that write with cheap #2 pencils on cow Composition books. I agree $50 is not cheap to most people, even rich, who use bic pens all their lives.

But to answer your question when I had only, less expensive fountain pens, what motivated me to get MB FP's was the quest for the ultimate quality... But I use my pens to death...

My tastes have changed over the years and I have actually sold off all of my cheapie pens, they really didn't make me happy.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have a 149 I bought many years ago (30?) when it cost the grand sum of $279 - I was making more money back then - back before it was marketed as some sort of nouveau riche status symbol. I bought it because I had heard great things about them as writing instruments. I have used it on and off over the yearsa s my daily carry pen. I have not babied it and it shows. It's a pen. It puts ink on paper and does a darned fine job of it. I would no more think of leaving it at home for fear of damaging it than I would leave my eyeglasses at home because they cost more. It may just be the toughest pen I own. I do not regret spending what I did on it and, amortized over 30 years, I think it has given exceptional value. For most of that time it was the only fp I owned and $9.30 a year is MUCH less that even those who only use cheap...err...inexpensive pens spend on them in a year.

YMMV

Regards,

Brian

Well that is about 300 USD back then. If I had it it won't be my beater pen, but it will used daily. A 1k pen yeah.... I'm keeping that in a box. (If I bought it) If somebody gifts me I'll find a way to give it a job to do. The only pens I'm currently babying is my Justus95 and my Pilot Dipper. If that pen somehow ends up being sub 300 USD I would buy it and use it. (after I finish my pilot collection)

#Nope

If you are satisfied with hamburger why pay to eat steak?

I cannot imagine eating hamburger for breakfast

Well that is about 300 USD back then. If I had it it won't be my beater pen, but it will used daily. A 1k pen yeah.... I'm keeping that in a box. (If I bought it) If somebody gifts me I'll find a way to give it a job to do. The only pens I'm currently babying is my Justus95 and my Pilot Dipper. If that pen somehow ends up being sub 300 USD I would buy it and use it. (after I finish my pilot collection)

If I could afford it, I would spend $1k on a 149 and still use it as an every day carry pen. It would be foolish to spend that much money on a pen and not use it. If I have learned anything here at FPN it is that pens are not great investments so babying even a $1k pen would only help minimize your loss in value and if that's what I'm worried about then I ain't gonna buy it. The most expensive pen I've purchased recently cost about $100 and even that seemed expensive, so the $1k price is out of the question now, but if I buy it I use it. On my income I can't buy things with no, or limited, utility.

Regards,

Brian

(Of course, there is the possibilty that today's 149s might not be of quite the same quality as my 30 yr old pen, so that could have an influence on my choice. And, my $279 investment in the mid 80s would adjust to $579 to $635 (not sure of the exact year, hence the range) in 2014 which is still a better deal than a new 149 today but about twice the $300 figure you used in your comparison.)

Edited by Brian K

I cannot imagine eating hamburger for breakfast

McDonald does serve it for breakfast. They just call it......muffin.

All of my more expensive pens were gifts, so I cherish them for that as well as admiring their beauty and craftsmanship. These pens range from a MB Meisterstuck Classique, a Pelikan 205 with 14k nib, a Waterman Expert and a TWSBI 580. The latter ones aren't hugely expensive but cost more than I would spend on myself. I'm in love with the TWSBI and may buy myself the mini version though :)

UK-based pen fan. I love beautiful ink bottles, sealing wax, scented inks, and sending mail art. Also, thanks to a wonderful custom-ground nib by forum member Bardiir, I'm currently attempting calligraphy after years of not being able to do so due to having an odd pen-grip :D

When I attend certain functions I dress in my finest clothes. Not to show off that I have fine clothes, but to show respect to the occasion and the others present. It is a sort of symbolism. When I perform my Remembrance Day duties, I would not dream of turning up at the cenothaph in jeans and a tee shirt. It would be disrespectful. You may disagree with the importance of symbolic behaviour, but it is important to me. I would never sign the minutes of my Lodge with a Bic stick, because I personally consider it disrespectful. When I sign documents that affect the future, or others, I use the best pen that I have. I carry a $12 Esterbrook about my person for everyday use. It would be preferable to use that than a Bic stick, but I can do better. For occasions that I consider important, I use the finest, highest quality, and most expensive pen I have. I am not up to the Montblanc level, and probably never will be, but if I were, I would jump at a 149, or even a special edition for certain events. I get upset when I see my government ministers signing new laws with a Sharpie, because I am really old fashioned and believe that a certain dignity should be applied at signing ceremonies. There are times when the very best you are capable of is called for, and sometimes that is the right pen.

I used garden-variety Sheaffers in school. When I got out of college and went in the Air Force, I bought a Parker 51 set just like my father's. I went along using the Parker 51 and a Sheaffer Dolphin Touchdown for years until I read an article in the Saturday Evening Post about fountain pens that said that many thought that the Parker 51 was the best pen, and that a lot of people liked Montblancs, and that Fahrney's in Washington, D.C. sold them.

Curiosity piqued, I called Fahrney's and ordered a Montblanc 146. A couple of weeks later my art supplies dealer had a Montblanc 144 in bordeaux on display, and I bought that. That was the beginning of collecting pens. Before that I had bought the odd Parker 51 when chance offered them and put them in a box, just as curios. The Montblancs were the beginning of satisfying curiosity on a larger scale.

Thinking this over, the desire to try out quality, or just to try different, was this, to use a Churchill expression, the begining of the end (doom to spending money on stuff) or the end of the begining (end of being a user and just using a couple of pens, embarking on trying out a lot of different pens)? I think it was both, but generally I have been less happy with pens over $100 with the exception of Parker 51s and Montblanc 144s, and you can find these on ebay and yard sales at varying prices.

I am still not sure what to think about this issue, expensive vs. inexpensive. My thinking is in flux as I find less expensive pens that write superbly. Examples: Waterman Carene vs Waterman Phileas, Laureat, Pilot Prera, Lamy Safari, Cross Solo. Pelikan M1000 and M800 vs Pelikan M200 and M400 and the above. I think a superb experience can be had at many price levels, and you buy what you like and gives satisfaction. Satisfaction could include the knowledge that most other writers will not spend the money on a pen like yours.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The pens of the moment have been the Waterman Kultur Lara Croft Tombraider and the Waterman Laureat. The Tomb Raider pens make me feel youthful and the Laureats are marvelous pens with gold plated steel nibs that I can leave uncapped and just draw a line on scratch paper to start them. I got four colors of the Tomb Raiders, and I think that's all there are.

Today is the last day on the current job, not sure if I will find another. This is mainly where I use fountain pens. I also have started a journal, though, to write each day the love I feel for my wife. Using a Cross Solo for this.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I love my cheap pens. I have 5 cheap pens and one $100 pen, and I don't love that one any more than the cheapies. Pilot makes great stuff <3

However, I do want a Nakaya - one of the fancy models - because I love the idea of having one "grail" pen that's also a work of art in itself. Besides that and a 0.5 mm cursive italic, there's no other pen I really want.