If You Are Happy With Your Cheap Pens, What Motivates You To Buy The Expensive Or Super Expensive

fpenluver

I am very happy with some of my cheap pens (i will just define it under $50). Some of them even less than $20. Additonally, I could probably live happily using them and nothing else. However, I sometimes still consider the "higher end" model of some of the cheapies that I am happy with. It could be the material or colour that interest me. So, I think what motivates me to buy the more expensive ones are the looks. (I am not currently planning to buy though considering all other thing in life, just want).

So, if you fall into this category (you love your cheapies), what motivate you to buy the more expensive or super expensive ones?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpenluver

• Brian K

• Icywolfe

• LamyOne

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm happy with cheap fountain pens. They write and if I lose one its OK. I carry them often and without a leather pen case. They're cheap but still a practical manifestation of an archaic technology that makes me happy.

I admire the craftsmanship, beauty and sometimes the exquisite script produced by pens that, literally, cost hundreds of times more Those may have special or customized nibs, artful design or great filling systems. For those ... "cherish" is the word.

Different person/fountain pen relationship in each case.

Here's a practical example - I have several aspects to my job in the automotive business - service, sales, etc... So let's say I am pricing tires out and am writing lots of numbers - a Platinum Preppy in M lays down a very satisfactory line and does very well. But let's say I am at a meeting with a client and we have to sign a bill of sale on a $100,000 Mercedes - would you pull out the Preppy with the ink sloshing around and hand it to the customer? No, that's what the Starwalker fineliner is for... but let's say you are writing something creative for marketting, you are in the zone, you feel like a million dollars because you plan on selling a million dollars in inventory - you break out the finer pens - they look beautiful, they take you to that place, the ink oozes off the nib in perfect sync with your creativity- think gold nibs, vibrant colours, larger than life pens - and that is why I spend the money - it's that loving feeling!

I am happy with my cheap-to-relatively inexpensive pens (most expensive one was the Invincia for $95), and I really have no motivation to buy expensive pens for the same reason that I turn up my nose at BMWs, Mercedeses (if that's the proper plural), Lexuses (Lexi?), etc. My previous vehicle was a Chevy S10 on which I put 165k miles over the course of 13 years. My current vehicle is an '08 Colorado that I bought 3 years ago and plan on keeping for another 10-12 years. It does the job and is comfortable enough. Same with pens. My Jinhaos, Pilots, Platinums, etc. do a good-enough job. I don't even look at pens over $100.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Just the desire to have one, or fill a slot in my collection.

A few times it did not work out.

- The Lamy 2000 was too fat and heavy for me to write with, so it moved from a writer to a collection pen.

Yet I have an upper limit which currently is about $150, beyond which I look at but don't consider.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Anyone knows how to edit the title? (for the typo)

just want to say thank you to whoever it was fixing the title.

Edited by fpenluver

The Mystique. B)

(That said, personally, I would not spend over $125 for a pen - and I wouldn't spend that much more than once).

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

So, I have this $150 fountain pen. I won a $7 pen on Ebay. It writes reliably until the ink reservoir is empty.

What did I get for an additional $143 ?

What about the $32 pen ? The $18 pen ? The $1.89 pen ?

My answer to the unasked question is " Because I can.".

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Because some of them are so pretty. Because sometimes it's fun to treat yourself to something special.

Because maybe I want to try out a pen with a gold nib, or just something about it caught my eye.

That said I only have a handful of pens I'm interested in that are over 30 dollars, and most of them are in the 50-100 dollar range. But there are a few, a very, very few, that seem special to me, and that I'd like to own that are in the 100-200 dollar range. But those will be a LONG time coming.

Funny, that could happen both ways... meaning, if you own and enjoy your expensive FP's why buy a less expensive pen... I hate to say "cheap" pen.. because for most people a $20-$50 Pen is far from cheap.

With that said, why are pens more expensive? Brand name or real quality? Gold, Diamonds, Inlays, etc etc etc? does that actually make a pen write better?

There's a real difference between a $100.00 guitar and a $1500 guitar... sound vibrates better off of rare - high quality woods, certain glues and difficult craftsmanship.

Does a FP's match sized nib that contacts the paper really make a pen cost hundreds and hundreds sometimes thousands of dollars more? Does a more expensive pen make you write better? Can the FBI tell the difference between a line written by a $4000 pen and a $19.99 pen?

I love all pens... I own expensive pens, simply because I could afford them... and sometimes price means great quality... But I would be just as happy to go through life with my Lamys and Pilots if I couldn't afford a more expensive pen. I have pens that cost less than $100 that write and feel and flow just as good as My $500 plus pens.

I don't buy a lot of expensive pens, and when I do there has to be something unusual about it that pushes my buttons. It may be beautiful, it may have an unusual filling mechanism, or material, or special nib, or history... or some combination of the above.

I am very happy with my cheaper pens, but my more expensive pens both write better and look more pleasing. They're a luxury, and I recognize them as such, but I get good use out of them and do not regret my purchases. I only have two expensive pens; if I went overboard, I don't think I'd enjoy them as much.

Edited by Mezzie

Currently My Limit is around $100 max for a single pen, but given the number of pens I have I may sell or trade to consolidate a number of them into a single pen that serves a purpose.

I feel there's always a place for a cheap pen in my collection, namely ones like a Pilot Petit1 ($3), Pilot 78G ($10), or Pilot Metropolitan ($15), particularly if I want something that could easily be replaced if lost or damaged depending on where I'm at and how I'm carrying it. (Some of the Jinhaos are decent, but too many of them have given me problems that I needed to actively tinker with them from time to time just to keep them working, something I haven't had to do with my Pilots).

The more expensive pens I have tend to have something unique to the way the nib handles or feels, or that the pen's body is more balanced or feels nicer in the hand. But as of late, if I'm spending more more than $40 or so, I tend to prefer choosing a vintage one restored. My two favorite ones I use a lot are sort of vintage (~60-70s).

I am very happy with my cheaper pens, but my more expensive pens both write better and look more pleasing. They're a luxury, and I recognize them as such, but I get good use out of them and do not regret my purcases. I only have two expensive pens; if I went overboard, I don't think I'd enjoy them as much.

I'm curious if you can elaborate on the 'write better' part, for example if it's just smoothness my $3 Petit1 with a Fine writes about as smooth as a Lamy Safari with either an Extra-Fine or Fine nib (of which I have both for the Safari). Mainly looking for an example of what you mean by more expensive.
Edited by KBeezie

I'm fine with the Pilot Varsity.

Just that. The VP and Justus95 have a extra thing that many other manufacturers doesn't have. That is why I bought them.

#Nope

Funny, that could happen both ways... meaning, if you own and enjoy your expensive FP's why buy a less expensive pen... I hate to say "cheap" pen.. because for most people a $20-$50 Pen is far from cheap.

With that said, why are pens more expensive? Brand name or real quality? Gold, Diamonds, Inlays, etc etc etc? does that actually make a pen write better?

There's a real difference between a $100.00 guitar and a $1500 guitar... sound vibrates better off of rare - high quality woods, certain glues and difficult craftsmanship.

Does a FP's match sized nib that contacts the paper really make a pen cost hundreds and hundreds sometimes thousands of dollars more? Does a more expensive pen make you write better? Can the FBI tell the difference between a line written by a $4000 pen and a $19.99 pen?

I love all pens... I own expensive pens, simply because I could afford them... and sometimes price means great quality... But I would be just as happy to go through life with my Lamys and Pilots if I couldn't afford a more expensive pen. I have pens that cost less than $100 that write and feel and flow just as good as My $500 plus pens.

IMHO it does not work both ways - unless you are in the top x% earner. $50 is about few hrs of work for an average joe in developed countries. So, I think it is fair to say under $50 as cheap (in developing countries this figure would probably be $5 or $10). Hence, in essence my question is what makes you willing to spend your entire week, month or even year income for this pen if you are happy with your cheap pens. This would be a very big decision especially for an average income earner who has a family to support, rent to pay, etc. However, if you are top 1% income earner this may not make sense to you, because $1000 mont blanc could be just a day worth work.

For any type of item, there is a value curve. That is, when you're getting "the most for your money".

Generally this type of debate is about (a). What the value curve looks like for fountain pens, and (B). Whether it's worth spending money at the price-accelerating top end of the curve (usually this is where "higher end" discussion comes in to play).

However, by limiting yourself to < $50 pens, you're below the price point where the real variety among fountain pens begins. You're well below the sweet spot in the value curve. You're totally reducing your options. You're not in "higher end" pens at all.

And since you're out of the value sweet spot, the answer to the question of "what motivates you to buy pens that cost more than $50" is: because they are better pens

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

My answer to the unasked question is " Because I can.".

Hello Sasha,

And then there are those who can, but don't. :)

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.