Montblanc Carrera Worth Buying?

gammada

Hello,

I would like to know your opinion on the value of a vintage Montblanc Carrera pen that is in an apparent good condition. The seller is offering a yellow barrel/ black cap model that uses cartridges. There's no box, or manuals or anything like that.

I've been unable to see photos of the nib but the seller states that is in good condition (medium) and I will be able to test this in his presence.

He wants $100 for this pen. Do you think it is worth it?

I'm new to fountain pen collectorship and so far I've only own a Parker Vector and a Lamy Safari and -pending repair- a Cross Century Classic from the '80s.

I want a pen that I could use while at my home office with the occasional outing to see clients.

My other question is, how hard or easy is it to find cartridges for this pen?

Thanks!

post-115758-0-60327300-1408569041.jpg

post-115758-0-74768200-1408569051.jpg

post-115758-0-13177500-1408569068.jpg

post-115758-0-65195100-1408569084.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gammada

• meiers

• bunny roller

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have seen them on penboard.de (no affiliation) for around $90-$100. If it's in good condition and you like the way it writes I think $100 isn't that bad...if you were buying it online from an unknown seller I probably wouldn't pay much more than $75 since penboard.de tends to sell things at a (generally justified) premium.

Most any International cartridge will fit. The Carrera was an entry level/student pen and usually they are very reliable and nice writers.

My Website

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm setting up an appointment with the seller to check the pen inside out and then decide if it's really worth it.

By the way, I've got one more question, I see that all the offers for Carrera pens on eBay come from Germany (for the most part) or other euro countries. Do you know if Montblanc ever sold this pen in the US?

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm setting up an appointment with the seller to check the pen inside out and then decide if it's really worth it.

By the way, I've got one more question, I see that all the offers for Carrera pens on eBay come from Germany (for the most part) or other euro countries. Do you know if Montblanc ever sold this pen in the US?

Yes they sold several models here as well as the Caressa which was the girl's version.

My Website

I don't think it's a bad pen, but there's lot of 2 digits MB in that price range and I would take one of them any day before a carrera. But that's just my opinion....

At the risk of offending people... I have always thought the Carrera looks like a dollar store pen or a pen that you would see at the doctor's office. :-(

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

Actually I think you're all right. I went to see the pen, but it looks like a wannabe MB that failed miserably on the aesthetics department. And this coming from a Porsche enthusiast!

Could anyone recommend a good model in the $100-300 price range?

I've always been in love with the Meisterstuck 149 but all I see in Amazon are $800-plus models. Where should I look for it?

I found a really nice 149 here in the market place for $375.

It came to me in mint condition - just serviced by MB.

For some reason, I haven't had any luck looking on ebay.

Actually I think you're all right. I went to see the pen, but it looks like a wannabe MB that failed miserably on the aesthetics department. And this coming from a Porsche enthusiast!

Could anyone recommend a good model in the $100-300 price range?

I've always been in love with the Meisterstuck 149 but all I see in Amazon are $800-plus models. Where should I look for it?

I recommend the market place right here in the FPN.

You would easily get a 146 for that price and, if you are lucky and quick off the blocks, you might even find a 149. I did notice that this Summer a lot of 146s (and many other pens) were going for very low final bids, on the Bay, here in the UK ... and I was glad I was selling all of mine for a BIN ....

$300 will get you a nice pen.... Good Luck!

ps ... only IMHO ... the classiest thing about the Carrera is its name .... it seems so 1960's but not in a nice way (and I was there)

+1 on Chunya's comment and earlier re 2 digit MBs, especially the 12.

Dont dismiss Pelikans of the same era, the Sylvexa and the 10 are just as well made as the 60s MBs and are off many peoples radar right now, and special nibs seem to be more readily available.

In terms of buying a 149 for that money then USD300 might be a but tight, especially if you are buying outside the US on current exchange rates, a good MB149 is over GBP200 now and the rate is 1.67ish. 146s around GBP170-200, that would would just about be in the budget.

I have a friend who loves his Carrera. He says the pens writes so well, he keeps coming back to it. The clip has a bit of that 1960's futristic look as well. I agree the classified here are very good. You might also check out the vintage section on isellpens.com. They have been carrying a good number of vintage and contemporary MBs. Good luck, I hope you find a nice pen.

According to me , I think Mont Blanc Carrera is not that good but the only Mont Blanc pen i liked was Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 90th Edition one , It looks good and writes pretty good !!

Thank you all for the info. I will look here to see if I can find something.

I'm a total neophyte when it comes to Montblanc pens, the only one I know a bit of history of is the 149 which happens to be a pen a friend of mine held dearly. I've always liked the design and the details of this particular pen but I don't know much about the 146. What are the differences between them?

One other question I have is, I've read in many places that the resin that composes the barrel and cap of the MB pens is quite fragile. Can anyone elaborate on this?