Pen Anxiety When Travelling

katerchen

Raise your hand if you've ever gone through this or similar thought process ...

So I am leaving for 2+ weeks. What do I take with me ?

• Ugh. Can't bring an ink bottle, because I will be labeled a terrorist (*)
  • What if my favorite Medium pen runs dry or worse : leaks. Better bring another one. And another for good measure.
  • How about forms that need to be filled. They will be most likely on crappy absorbent paper with tiny fill boxes, so I'll need a fine pen. But I don't really like fine pens, so what if the nib gets all dry from disuse and clogged up? Better pack another

-k

(*) Strictly speaking : I could use cartridges, but ... meh.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kazoolaw

• Newjelan

• Icywolfe

• katerchen

put a few cc's of ink into a plastic nalgene 10 cc screwtop vial, and fill your pen from that. You can get these kind of vials from sporting goods stores like REI.

I always feel like I'm going to run out of ink on long flights... But never have and I've been on some long flights. Just fill her up before you leave... and I always travel with 1 main pen and 2 or 3 Lamy or Pilot back-ups.... which are good for filling out forms.

Or do what I just decided to do...buy a matching fp and bpoint set and use the bp when you need to fill out "forms", and the fp when you need to recharge your soul...

When I when traveling. I did this with my pens:

N-Creaper: Note Taker (Large ink supply)

N-Ahab: Note Taker (Large ink supply)

Pilot VP: Forms filler (Noodler's Black ink)

Platinum Desk Pen: Forms Filler (Carbon Black ink)

N-Creaper Roller ball: Carbon Paper form filler.

Then again my trip was just 3 days. What I noticed was just take as many pens as possible and if run dry use another. Also the jobs I gave them I strictly followed them so I can reserve as much ink as possible. I also took a a few Preppys as eye dropper fills. As weird as this sounds you can screw screw the body and fill from there. (Your other pens.)

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

I bring a cartridge pen when traveling. Not ideal, but very convenient!

Edited by vdiantonio

I use a small Pelikan 30ml ink bottle inside a ziploc bag and take it in my carry on bag. It conforms with TSA regulations and is very safe.

No reason you can't bring ink (though I wouldn't) Always take a ball point for forms.

Bring that pen you like enough not to sell but don't use that often because you have better pens.

Or, bring nothing knowing you are likely to buy a pen when you get there. :)

Last trip I brought 2 pens and cartridges along and a ball pen for forms. Came home with 4 pens. heh.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

i travel quite a bit (and will soon be on the road again for three months!), and these concerns have, of course, occurred to me. i've settled on bringing two or three of my favorite pens, which i will miss too sorely and be all grouchy if i leave them at home (at the moment, that's an agatha christie and a vintage 149). i will actually bring a small vial of ink in a leak-proof nalgene bottle, along with my toiletries, if the trip will be for longer than a week, and if i'm doubtful of finding a pen-and-ink shop where i'm going (otherwise, i'll use the trip as an excuse to buy a souvenir bottle of ink, or even another pen). i bring a good rollerball or ballpoint for immigration and customs forms and such. i will not leave home without at least two pens; they keep me on an even keel, and provide solace in strange territory.

Check out my blog and my pens

What if an UFO captures your flight, and you return one year older, but we are all twenty years older ?

I think you are empowering your anxiety. You are going to scare the other passengers. Relax.

Fill your favorite fp. Carry it nib-up at all times.

Double-bag, in Ziplock bags, your bottle of ink, in the original commercial bottle. It goes into the carry-on bag.

Worse case ? TSA discovers that you are transporting a bottle of fountain pen ink. If the agent opens the bottle,

make sure it is correctly repacked.

Enjoy your trip.

Log-on sometime, and let us know how it is progressing.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

So I am leaving for 2+ weeks. What do I take with me ?

• Ugh. Can't bring an ink bottle, because I will be labeled a terrorist (*)
  • What if my favorite Medium pen runs dry or worse : leaks. Better bring another one. And another for good measure.
  • How about forms that need to be filled. They will be most likely on crappy absorbent paper with tiny fill boxes, so I'll need a fine pen. But I don't really like fine pens, so what if the nib gets all dry from disuse and clogged up? Better pack another

>Sure you can. Bag it and take it. If you don't have plastic, take a sturdy glass bottle, bag it, and tuck it into a shoe.

>Get a three pen case. Your carry on bag will work just fine.

>Make a fine nib one of your three pens.

Now, go enjoy yourself!

gary

I'm lucky that several favorite PR inks that come in cartridge form. When I travel, I take them and my Kaweco Sports (which have been surprisingly nice little writers). No huge deal if something happens to one of the pens, relative safety of cartridges (with the usual precautions), and a portable fountain pen experience.

I do, however, always have at least one gel pen - more if away multiple days - so that I'm covered.

OK, I think I pacified my OCD.

• Vac 700, Medium nib for generic use. It's a beast. When completely filled, it's easily going to last 2 weeks. Plus it has that shut off seal.
  • Rotring Espirit. It's technically a medium, but could pass for a fine. I normally use it with a converter, but I'll just take a couple of cartridges with me ... I have a box full of those that came with random pens anyway.
  • And lastly : a Wing Sung 322 that I picked up on a whim. It's an ugly little thing, but it does draw a hairline and is fairly reliable. The sac filler gives me pause ... my 51s always leak on airplanes, no matter how I keep them.

-k

OK, I think I pacified my OCD.

• ... my 51s always leak on airplanes, no matter how I keep them.

-k

Well done.

and you might consider a 51 Vac fill.

Bon Voyage!

gary

Bottles of ink in a plastic bag, you are OK.

After years those guys have seen lots of weird things, like fountain pen and even bottles of ink.

Just don't take your quart bottle of ink and you should be ok.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I travel internationally regularly and love using a variety of pens, inks and paper. I fill 3 or 4 pens with ink (at least 1 being a cc) and also take a couple of cartridges as back up. As I usually only have carry-on, these are taken in my handbag. On the rare occasions I have checked baggage, I sometimes take a bottle of ink in its box, wrapped in bubble wrap in my suitcase. No problems, lots of variety and it feels like a home away from home.

Cartridges. Just steel yourself.At home, I refill my carts with a syringe. I have a 100 mll bottle of ink which I take if I'm gone for more than a week. Otherwise, cartridges. I am lucky that the only ink I use comes in international cartridges.