I May Have To Turn In My Man Card

DaveBj

At our Rodeo out here they have one night for Breast Cancer Awareness day and the theme for the cowboys is "Tough Enough To Wear Pink!"

I notice also that Nathan must be afraid of having his guy card revoked as well. he has, what 500 different colors and not one named pink.

cheers

skyppere

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• TXKat

• DaveBj

• Charles Rice

I'm with you. Assigning stereotypical genders to colours (and toys, and clothes and sports, and careers ......... ad nauseam ) is ridiculously outdated.

Thank you! It's awful. Nothing wrong for liking or disliking pink (or insert any other stereotypically gendered thing), but there's no reason to bring gender into it. It's kind of weird, honestly. I can't believe how many men I see on this forum who seem to recoil at anything veering even slightly into the pink/purple/not über-masculine category.

I'm with you. Assigning stereotypical genders to colours (and toys, and clothes and sports, and careers ......... ad nauseam ) is ridiculously outdated.

Thank you! It's awful. Nothing wrong for liking or disliking pink (or insert any other stereotypically gendered thing), but there's no reason to bring gender into it. It's kind of weird, honestly. I can't believe how many men I see on this forum who seem to recoil at anything veering even slightly into the pink/purple/not über-masculine category.

Chill out, y'all, we're just having some fun here, following up on Mr. Rice's all-in-fun pink-ink survey thread a few weeks ago. As we speak I have my Online/0.8mm stub loaded with Diamine Violet; used it to write a letter to my granddaughter, who loves all things purple.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Totally with you both, Tinysnail and Migo! My 5-year-old godson's favourite colour was pink.....his favourite top was a bright pink sweater he chose for himself.......until he started school and the other boys told him that it was a girls' colour >:-( it's so frustrating. Children wouldn't think this way if their parents didn't put sexist rubbish into their heads.

I can understand not being keen on a particular colour, of course, but it seems daft for an adult to dislike a colour solely because of gender stereotyping!

BTW chaps can get breast cancer too. I'm sure you're all aware of that, but thought I'd mention it just in case anyone isn't.

UK-based pen fan. I love beautiful ink bottles, sealing wax, scented inks, and sending mail art. Also, thanks to a wonderful custom-ground nib by forum member Bardiir, I'm currently attempting calligraphy after years of not being able to do so due to having an odd pen-grip :D

Great song. Hideous shoes. Made my feet hurt just looking at them. (I blame Mr. Blackwell.)

I was raised by someone who joked about being Imelda Marcos because she sometimes had to change shoes 3 times a day. This was because she (my mom) had had a localized bad reaction to chemotherapy -- all the bones in her ankle fused, with her foot in a slightly dropped position. This did not stop her from being a world traveler (as well as a 35+ year melanoma survivor), but it did mean that one of the most valuable lesson I learned from her growing up was "Wear comfortable shoes".

Mind you, she found "jellies" with one inch heels to be comfortable -- whereas, when I got married I wore a $7 pair of white leather ballet flats (I mean real ones, for ballet lessons).

I used to wear 2" spike heels to work all the time -- but then realized years later that I had a sit-down job. When I had a job that involved standing for 8-10 hours on a cement floor all day, after the first week of coming home with my feet killing me (sneakers weren't enough support) I went out and got what were -- at the time -- the most expensive shoes I'd ever bought: the butt-ugliest pair of nurses' shoes you'd ever seen, which had thick rubber soles, and an innersole of foam that was an inch thick and thicker at the heel. And wore those day-in/day-out for the entire summer, until all of us temps got laid off. And they were the only thing that saved my feet on that job (one of the projects that were all the the map display units for Mall of America).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Great story.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Totally with you both, Tinysnail and Migo! My 5-year-old godson's favourite colour was pink.....his favourite top was a bright pink sweater he chose for himself.......until he started school and the other boys told him that it was a girls' colour >:-( it's so frustrating. Children wouldn't think this way if their parents didn't put sexist rubbish into their heads.

I can understand not being keen on a particular colour, of course, but it seems daft for an adult to dislike a colour solely because of gender stereotyping!

BTW chaps can get breast cancer too. I'm sure you're all aware of that, but thought I'd mention it just in case anyone isn't.

Fully aware. There's a man in our parish who has it.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

You might want to:A) PIF it B) give it to member Charles RiceC) keep it and accept your inner pink

Beware!

;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

All I want to know is - is that Amber holding the shoes at the start of the video?

Alas, my legs were never that long.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

PS

I own ones like this with Rhinestones

http://s6.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/424FBAA0.jpg

PS

I own ones like this with Rhinestones

http://s6.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/424FBAA0.jpg

Are they pink?

At our Rodeo out here they have one night for Breast Cancer Awareness day and the theme for the cowboys is "Tough Enough To Wear Pink!"

I notice also that Nathan must be afraid of having his guy card revoked as well. he has, what 500 different colors and not one named pink.

cheers

skyppere

What about Dragon Catfish Pink? :lol:

He's also got other pink inks, they're just called stuff that ends in "rose" (Shah's Rose, Ottoman Rose, ...).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I just received a 7-pack of Pilot Varsities with various colors of ink, and one of them is pink :yikes:

Set it free. If it doesn't come back, it was never really yours to begin with.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

TXKat, on 19 Aug 2014 - 11:40, said:snapback.png

...just because your favorite color is BLACK! ;)

Well, true.

Black also includes pink if you want to start getting technical, lol. So, in theory, you are using pink anyway! Ha! :D

Hmm ... OK. I'm OK with using pink "in theory," but that's all I'll use it in.

I think my aversion to pink ink, and lavender, is actually from the shock of signing at cash registers in stores/restaurants with pens that have giant flowers or cartoon figures attached to them, then when you sign it's: ZOWIE! Atrocious, bright pink, etc.

I have two daughters who pretty much disliked pink, so I don't feel gender-issued on this at all. A bit color challenged in my inks, maybe, but nothing more.

Don't sign ZOWIE. :D

Why use big freakish looking pens with large objects attached?? You have a fountain pen...

Amber...I've never had legs that THIN! ;)

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Don't sign ZOWIE. :D

Why use big freakish looking pens with large objects attached?? You have a fountain pen...

I know, I know, But ..

hello all... One of my new favorite inks is the Noodler's Ottoman Rose: "The Sultan's Ink"... It has some wonderful hues & if you look close enough, there's some pink in it to...Never dawned on me not to like it because of that...A nice ink is a nice ink. Regardless...Learn to love the skies you are under...

What about Dragon Catfish Pink? :lol:

He's also got other pink inks, they're just called stuff that ends in "rose" (Shah's Rose, Ottoman Rose, ...).

Ah! you're right. Maybe that came out after I was searching ... Oh I know he makes pink inks, I was just

pointing that he didn't NAME them pink. But I stand corrected. or maybe I'll just SIT corrected. :)

skyppere

some pinks are pleasing to the eyes some arent it all depends if it's punchy pink throw it or mix it with a little red to make a hot pink either way... if the color is as washed out as Bouquet D'antan or Rose Tenresse and Diabolo Menthe I wont in anyway touch it...

Edited by Algester