The New Conklin Demonstrators

penmanila

i just got an email from mary burke (formerly with CS. now with yafa) just announcing the new conklin demonstrators, a limited edition of 1,898. neat pens, in black or rose-gold trim, MSRP $250:

http://www.conklinpens.com/images/marktwaindemonstrator1.jpg
http://www.conklinpens.com/images/marktwaindemonstrator2d.jpg
more info here:
(images from the conklin website)

Check out my blog and my pens

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• amberleadavis

• penmanila

• newtimer

I thought the Mark Twain had been out for more than a year now.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'm pretty sure they have had a limited edition demonstrator before. This must be the next limited edition.

Without implying anything for or against the pen, I don't intend to get one. It would be technically interesting, though, to see one being filled. I'm just curious how much of the sac actually gets full.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I don't see the difference between this and the original Mark Twain demonstrators that has been out for over a year.

I got one a couple months back and it's probably the worst value for money. The nib did not work, the sac looks like it was torn off before it was fitted on the pen. To make things worse, the pen literally broke in half when I was trying to adjust the nib. And I am not even a ham fisted person. It promptly went back to the retailer.

Hmm, odd then to have gotten an email just now--maybe it was just a reminder of sorts, to clear out inventory? But thanks for the replies!

Check out my blog and my pens

I bought one of the rose gold pens with a 1.1 italic nib in June, 2013 from Pen Place in Kansas City. I see no difference between that pen and the one in the latest email. I'm sorry gerigo got a lemon. The new Conklin company has had some quality control issues. My crescent demonstrator wrote great out of the box; smooth, reasonably wet, and well-balanced in my hand. The sac fills to about two-thirds full with one squeeze of the crescent. I don't usually buy modern pens but I have a fascination with the crescent design so I couldn't resist this one. It is in the rotation as I write this, filled with Fuyu syogun, and sitting in my pen wallet right next to one of its ancestors, a 1905 or so vintage Conklin S3 crescent.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Yes, I thought it was a little odd when I got one today. I always enjoy notice about new items, but it didn't look any different than the pen I had my eye on quite a while ago (a year?) before moving on to other things.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I don't see the difference between this and the original Mark Twain demonstrators that has been out for over a year.

I got one a couple months back and it's probably the worst value for money. The nib did not work, the sac looks like it was torn off before it was fitted on the pen. To make things worse, the pen literally broke in half when I was trying to adjust the nib. And I am not even a ham fisted person. It promptly went back to the retailer.

I really wanted one, but when I went to try it at Paradise pen before they closed, it was already broken.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I really wanted one, but when I went to try it at Paradise pen before they closed, it was already broken.

I think that was what steered me away, the QC issues with the 'modern' brand. I have a handful of vintage Conklins, because I loved the look, especially the Enduras, and they had some great nibs. So, while I was attracted to the general look of this pen - transparent with rose hardware - I stayed away.

Good thing, too: I've recently gotten a Platinum LE 3776 "Nice" model, and it is all that and more, and cost less. Win.

http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/images/platinum_3776_century_nice_demonstrator_fountainpen_vulpen.jpg

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I have a load of modern Conklin's and have no problem with any of them. I think they might be a little overpriced for what they are and the nibs are very firm, but I've only ever had very smooth and nice writers. I have quite a few vintage ones too, but their small size doesn't always appeal to me, although one cushion point nib is a velvet pleasure.

I bought one with black trim at the DC show. I love demonstrators and thought this pen would satisfy the demonstrator thing for me since I have very little intention of ever using my Omas Ogiva again. The Ogiva is a fabulous pen but it had to be sent to Italy for repair after turquoise ink became lodged in the very tip of the cap. I waited about 4 months for this pen to be returned to me and I decided to not ink it again. When I saw the Conklin, I decided to buy it but I must say, I might as well be writing with a nail, that's how unforgiving the nib is. I also need to apply LOTS of pressure to get the thing to even write. I will have this pen adjusted at the Ohio show and I will think twice before I buy another modern Conklin.

My experience is mixed. The Endura is a simple C/C pen and has worked since the beginning. The Mark Twain worked well for a short time, then the sac began to leak at the base. Back to Paradise Pens, and it was turned around (possibly a replacement pen) quickly and without issue since. Good customer service. And yes, it is a steel nib, but mine write well.

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

I think that was what steered me away, the QC issues with the 'modern' brand. I have a handful of vintage Conklins, because I loved the look, especially the Enduras, and they had some great nibs. So, while I was attracted to the general look of this pen - transparent with rose hardware - I stayed away.

Good thing, too: I've recently gotten a Platinum LE 3776 "Nice" model, and it is all that and more, and cost less. Win.

http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/images/platinum_3776_century_nice_demonstrator_fountainpen_vulpen.jpg

That's a looker.

That's a looker.

I swapped in a Platinum converter from a Nakaya that has gold hardware, which seals the deal. The interesting this is that the parts that look a bit blurry are micro-etched, and the entire pen has almost a matte feel in the hand, partly due also to the facets. I also got it to try the sealing mechanism, which (allegedly) keeps the nib from drying out for, like, ever. :)

I'm taking it this weekend to SF and see if Mike Masuyama will stub the B nib for me at the show; if not, maybe leave it with him. I'm hoping this is a lifetime pen for me.

~ Benjamin Franklin

If you feel like writing me a letter once you have it stubbed...I'd love to see it in action.

Will do!

~ Benjamin Franklin

QC issues aside, I still fancy the crescent design enough to consider the modern Conklins, but the new styling doesn't appeal to me. The trim is a dealbreaker. I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to plaster the Conklin name repeatedly. Was it really necessary to include the name in the nib, the clip, the crescent and the cap band? Not to mention that the laser etching of the cap band looks cheap in comparison to the engraving elsewhere on the pen.

If you think this iteration of Modern Conklin Pens has issues, you should have tried the ones sold by the previous iteration of Modern Conklin - about 8 or 9 years ago. Those pens had problems, primarily bad (non-repairable) nibs and feeds. These (current pens) may have minor issues, but if you're up to adjusting your own nibs and maybe doing some smoothing, they are really not bad pens. I have quite a few - Crescents, Nozaks, Duragraphs, Enduras - and I like them all -- at the right price.

If you don't like the Conklin nibs, I have often had good results installing the Knox K35 nibs. Still stiff as nails, but sometimes they just work better.

If you feel like writing me a letter once you have it stubbed...I'd love to see it in action.

Amber, Amber, Amber... I spent about 45 minutes yesterday morning with Mike and his lovely wife, as he interviewed me about how I would like the nib, and then proceeded to do the work. He mentioned at first that certain rose gold plated nibs are not optimal, as it is more prone to coming off if not applied heavily enough (I'm certain he described it better than that). I told him to use his best judgement, and he carefully started in, determining that it would be ok. I expected it would be a loop of work, try it out, tweak some more, but damn if he didn't get it exactly as I wanted on the first round of customizing. That stock Broad Platinum nib is now a lovely stub with just a bit more edge, somewhere approaching a CI nib. Very satisfying way to spend part of the morning, and a great time getting to know the both of them.

When I return home (I'm still in SF at the show) I'll post some pics, but I'm really, really happy.

~ Benjamin Franklin