Best Brand Of Ink - In Your Opinion

Legal Eagle

I have 2 Diamine bottles and 4 samples....I find they feather and or give a wooly line.. Green Meadow feathers more than any other ink I have. The feather champ.I'll not buy that brand again.

MB, Pelikan 4001....the royal blue fades, the rest seem good. R&K is a good top of the line ink.

As suggested you might as well buy the mixing inks instead of fiddling around with regular inks.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LamyOne

• lapis

• Icywolfe

• Ste_S

Montblanc is probably the most consistant brand I've tried. All well behaved, saturated but yet still provide some lovely shading.

Trusted & safe would be any Pelikan or Diamine where the latter has a much wider color range. More adventurous and superb quality is Rohrer & Klinger, very solid quality but somewhat limited choice in colors or deAtramentis which is well on its way to become my new favorite.

J. Herbin Inks are fantastic in my opinion, their Perle Noir and Lierre Sauvage are gorgeous. The 1670 line of inks are pretty and will likely clog the more finicky pens, so I stay away from them....that and the bottles kind of suck too.

MontBlanc is always great but a bit pricy.

Those are my go to brands.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Rohrer & Klingner produces good and cheap inks (well, they're cheap in Europe, in Poland I pay 5 $ for a bottle). Diamine produces decent inks but some of them can cause massive nib creep, clogging or even damage section (my friend's Sheaffer prelude section was "eaten" by Diamine Syrah). J. Herbin inks are nice but quite expensive (price per 1 ml). Sailor and Graf von Faber-Castell are my favourite ink producers but their inks aren't really cheap :)

Squid. Works well for pasta, too.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

There is no obvious "best" ink company. All of them have their strong or weak points. I use more Noodler's than anything else. I'm not sure how I'd get by without Noodler's Black. However... I acknowledge that Noodler's inks vary a great deal in their characteristics, and some of them are troublesome. I don't use any Noodler's in pens with a latex rubber sac or bulb anymore, for example.

I will say that Diamine, Herbin, Montblanc and Iroshizuku are well reputed and have worked well for me personally.

Hello Everyone,

I know several people have suggested the Platinum Mix Free inks, but I don't know.... a complete set will cost you around $160 plus shipping. On the flip-side of that, I can buy all 8 colors of Sheaffer ink for $75 and mix those to get any color I want, (except yellow-based colors). I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. :)

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

I have a number of brands that I like: Organics Studio, Sailor, Iroshizuku, Akkerman, Diamine. I've liked the few Noodlers colors I've tried.

There are a lot of good brands, and many many colors. A lot just depends on what you want. You could order samples and see which ones you like. After all, it doesn't matter is everyone else likes it, if you don't then that bottle will sit on a shelf.

Edited by white_lotus

Same drum beat.

Safest inks to mix for any pen -Waterman, Sheaffer. Lots recipes in the Recipe Forum.

Want to have even more fun mixing, get the Noodler's 4 colors. Suppose you could have nib creep, but I always thought that was part of having a pen and ink. It's because of possible pen/ink/fingers/clothes messiness that the ballpoint was invented.

Want a fun old sports car, learn to deal with carburetors and points. Want to be safe, have it start every time for 15-20+ years, drive over the continental divide with no issues, get a modern car, likely a Honda.

Mont Blanc Toffee Brown is a nice shade of brown.

Thanks CindyK - I have never used Mont Blanc inks...or even considered them really but there were a couple of references to MB on this thread so I should have a look!

Diamine

Waterman

Mont Blanc

Sheaffer

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Any opinions on truly waterproof black inks for fountain pen? And please forgive me if this is an old topic...I'm a NEW member.

Any opinions on truly waterproof black inks for fountain pen? And please forgive me if this is an old topic...I'm a NEW member.

This is an old topic and we are way off topic but... since we are a friendly bunch :) I'll tell you:

Noodler's bulletproof black

Montblanc permanent black

J. Herbin Inks are fantastic in my opinion, their Perle Noir and Lierre Sauvage are gorgeous. The 1670 line of inks are pretty and will likely clog the more finicky pens, so I stay away from them....that and the bottles kind of suck too.

MontBlanc is always great but a bit pricy.

Those are my go to brands.

It's worth noting that J.Herbin and Montblanc are roughly the same price per ml. J Herbin are cheaper per bottle, but then they're 30ml bottles.

My go-to inks are a brand already off of your list: Pilot Iroshizuku

My other safe inks that work very well across a range of pens are Waterman, Pelikan, Montblanc, and Diamine.

Buzz

My top five:

Iroshizuku

Pelikan

Levenger

J Herbin

Montblanc
…but any one big favorite from all the others, Sailor, PW Akkerman, Conway Stewart can shift the momentum at any time!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I had a hard time defining the criteria for "best", so I came up with this:

If you could only use one brand of ink, which one would you choose?

I think that would be J. Herbin. They work in everything, and there is a good variety of colors.

Montblanc would be a close second, with an honorable mention to De Atramentis' standard line (the more I buy these inks, the more I love them).

Edited by dneal