Looking For Pens That Are Easy To Completely Disassemble

LamyOne

I can clean and dry a pen in about a minute without any disassembly and have been doing that for over a half century.

Hello Jar,

WOW! I wish you'd make a video of that - I'd love to see how it's done!

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LamyOne

• KBeezie

• jar

• Ink Stained Wretch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello everyone,

WOW!!!

I normally like to respond to each post individually - but I hadn't anticipated such a friendly and voluminous response! :D

I think I have my list narrowed down to these:

- Pilot Metropolitan/Prera: (Does anyone know how to make these pens wetter? I had a Metropolitan and thought it was a bit on the dry side).

- Noodler Ahab

- Noodler Nib Creeper: (Does anyone know where I can find alternate #2 nibs in case I don't like the Noodler's nibs - from what I've read, the Noodler's nibs seem to be hit and miss).

- Platinum Preppy (Eyedropper Conversion)

- Kaweco Al-Sport

I'm fascinated by the TWSBI; however, I think TWSBI may be a Chinese-based company, (please clarify this if I'm wrong), and due to the religious persecution and other human rights violations in China; I try my level best to avoid buying from Chinese based companies. I realize most everything is made there; however, the lion's share of the money still goes to American or European headquartered companies.

Again, I want to thank you all for your immediate and detailed responses - I really, really appreciate it. :D If anyone else has any other input or feedback, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

I can clean and dry a pen in about a minute without any disassembly and have been doing that for over a half century.

Are you Jay Garrick?

Twsbi is Tawainese.

Hello Namru,

Thank you Namru, that makes a big difference for me. :) Do you know if the the TWSBI Classic also disassembles like the other TWSBI's, or would I have to go with a demonstrator, (the 580 or 700)?

Best regards,

Chris

PS: I caught the video at Goulet and I see the Classic does come with a wrench and grease too!

Edited by LamyOne

Hello everyone,

WOW!!!

I normally like to respond to each post individually - but I hadn't anticipated such a friendly and voluminous response! :D

I think I have my list narrowed down to these:

- Pilot Metropolitan/Prera: (Does anyone know how to make these pens wetter? I had a Metropolitan and thought it was a bit on the dry side).

- Noodler Ahab

- Noodler Nib Creeper: (Does anyone know where I can find alternate #2 nibs in case I don't like the Noodler's nibs - from what I've read, the Noodler's nibs seem to be hit and miss).

- Platinum Preppy (Eyedropper Conversion)

- Kaweco Al-Sport

I'm fascinated by the TWSBI; however, I think TWSBI may be a Chinese-based company, (please clarify this if I'm wrong), and due to the religious persecution and other human rights violations in China; I try my level best to avoid buying from Chinese based companies. I realize most everything is made there; however, the lion's share of the money still goes to American or European headquartered companies.

Again, I want to thank you all for your immediate and detailed responses - I really, really appreciate it. :D If anyone else has any other input or feedback, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Chris

Both the Pilot Metropolitans I have are on the wet side (one with a japanese medium, and one with a japanese fine), especially when using Pilot black in a japanese fine.

If your choice of ink is dry, or has properties that make it hard to flow (ie: noodler's bulletproof etc), that could be the issue in which case you'll probably want to avoid the 'fine' nib on the pilot metropolitan. (I had the same issue trying to get something like Diamine Saddle Brown to flow well thru the fine nib, where as Noodler's Sequoia green was too wet for even that nib). Course with all my pens, I give them a good cleaning before using just to get rid of any residue or manufacturing guk that may contribute to the dryness.

I have a Kaweco AL Sport (main thing I don't like about it is the cartridge-only approach), shame you can't make it an eye-dropper (not a good thing to do with metal barrels, plus you can't easily see where you're filling, and the threading on the section is quite deep, getting it greased up may be annoying)

TWSBI is Taiwan based (many people don't see PRC and ROC as the same thing), and I know someone mentioned Nemosine earlier was chinese, which is not the case (the body of the pen is Taiwan-made, nib is european [maybe jowo?], but the company Nemosine, is based out of Pennsylvania, USA).

If you want a really nice fountain pen, the Lamy 2000 would fit the bill.

Nick

"It is much more interesting to live life not knowing, than having answers which might be wrong."

"Courage is grace under pressure" ~ Ernest Hemingway

If you want a really nice fountain pen, the Lamy 2000 would fit the bill.

Nick

Hello Nick,

The 2K is too nice; I'm kind of looking for a grunt pen. :)

Thanks,

Chris

Both the Pilot Metropolitans I have are on the wet side (one with a japanese medium, and one with a japanese fine), especially when using Pilot black in a japanese fine.

If your choice of ink is dry, or has properties that make it hard to flow (ie: noodler's bulletproof etc), that could be the issue in which case you'll probably want to avoid the 'fine' nib on the pilot metropolitan. (I had the same issue trying to get something like Diamine Saddle Brown to flow well thru the fine nib, where as Noodler's Sequoia green was too wet for even that nib). Course with all my pens, I give them a good cleaning before using just to get rid of any residue or manufacturing guk that may contribute to the dryness.

I have a Kaweco AL Sport (main thing I don't like about it is the cartridge-only approach), shame you can't make it an eye-dropper (not a good thing to do with metal barrels, plus you can't easily see where you're filling, and the threading on the section is quite deep, getting it greased up may be annoying)

TWSBI is Taiwan based (many people don't see PRC and ROC as the same thing), and I know someone mentioned Nemosine earlier was chinese, which is not the case (the body of the pen is Taiwan-made, nib is european [maybe jowo?], but the company Nemosine, is based out of Pennsylvania, USA).

Hello KBeezie,

You probably have a valid point with the Metropolitan - I was using Monteverde turquoise and I've since learned by experience that all of the Monteverde inks run on the dry side - like the Pelikan 4001 inks do.

I know Kidde mentioned the Nemosine, (I have a Fission, but find it too heavy for more than a couple of paragraphs); the $15 model is tempting - but I've read mixed bag reviews for it - I guess you can't expect too much from a $15 pen... although, there is the Metropolitan. :D

Thanks for the input. :)

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

Unless you live in a really dirty environment, the level of dis-assembly described is rarely necessary.

However, the Parker 45 is designed for such service.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hello Jar,

WOW! I wish you'd make a video of that - I'd love to see how it's done!

Best regards,

Chris

I don't waste time on videos. I rinse it out and put it away.

If you want relatively inexpensive and very easy to completely disassemble try the Pelikano Jr.

They're cc pens. You can refill a cartridge for them and I think there's a converter for them, if you need that.

Note that this is the Pelinako Jr. not the Pelikano. The Jr. model is for kids learning to write, and it will come completely apart. They are also less expensive than most of the other pens mentioned.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Unless you live in a really dirty environment, the level of dis-assembly described is rarely necessary.

Hello Sasha,

My situation is not a dirty environment; my situation is the desire to try inks that are known to be problematic - and as such, the pen may need a thorough cleaning out after use.

Best regards,

Chris

If you want relatively inexpensive and very easy to completely disassemble try the Pelikano Jr.

They're cc pens. You can refill a cartridge for them and I think there's a converter for them, if you need that.

Note that this is the Pelinako Jr. not the Pelikano. The Jr. model is for kids learning to write, and it will come completely apart. They are also less expensive than most of the other pens mentioned.

Hello Ink Stained Wretch,

OK - thanks, I'll check into those.

Best regards,

Chris

Hello Everyone,

I've come to a conclusion:

I think I am going to go with one of each of the following two pens:

- Pilot Metropolitan, (free, I'll dig out the one I already have - $15 otherwise)

- Nemosine Singularity, ($15, or $20 if I want the marbled finish).

This is the price point I'm happy with - if the pen is wrecked, it won't be much of a loss. :D

I strongly considered a Noodler's Ahab or Nib Creeper, but I've read a lot of mixed reviews about the Noodler's nibs - so to avoid the added expense of buying a pen and then having to shell out another $8-15 for a better nib; I think I'll just go with two above. :D

Thank you all for your able assistance. :)

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

Hello Sasha,

My situation is not a dirty environment; my situation is the desire to try inks that are known to be problematic - and as such, the pen may need a thorough cleaning out after use.

Best regards,

Chris

Okay, so the reason is that you want to try inks that are known to cause problems.

Then what you plan might be reasonable but if someone is using fountain pens reasonably then full disassembly should be avoided unless necessary.

Okay, so the reason is that you want to try inks that are known to cause problems.

Then what you plan might be reasonable but if someone is using fountain pens reasonably then full disassembly should be avoided unless necessary.

Hello Jar,

I whole-heartedly agree. :)

It isn't my practice to break down a pen when I routinely flush it out.

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

Hello KBeezie,

You probably have a valid point with the Metropolitan - I was using Monteverde turquoise and I've since learned by experience that all of the Monteverde inks run on the dry side - like the Pelikan 4001 inks do.

I know Kidde mentioned the Nemosine, (I have a Fission, but find it too heavy for more than a couple of paragraphs); the $15 model is tempting - but I've read mixed bag reviews for it - I guess you can't expect too much from a $15 pen... although, there is the Metropolitan. :D

Thanks for the input. :)

Best regards,

Chris

I've had the complete opposite experience with both Monteverde Black and Blue, both of those inks were extremely wet to the point that they took far longer to dry than even Noodler's Black Eel, smearing on Rhodia as long as 20 minutes later (where as Black Eel wouldn't smudge after about 3-4 minutes). Those were from the cartridges Monteverde provided as such I didn't bother to buy a bottle because the provided cartridges were way too wet (probably heavily lubricated).

I have a Nemosine Singularity Demonstrator fitted with a Goulet 1.5 stub nib. Out of the box with nemosine's own nib, I would not buy the Singularity again, however I would have no problems buying a metropolitan again. Even my $3 Petit1 or $10 78G performs better than my Nemosine out of the box.

Hello Sasha,

Best regards,

Chris

Unless you're talking bout Calligraphy/Dip-Pen inks or older-style iron gall (ie: heavier in the iron sediment, and higher acidity), it shouldn't be that big a problem.
Edited by KBeezie

I've had the complete opposite experience with both Monteverde Black and Blue, both of those inks were extremely wet to the point that they took far longer to dry than even Noodler's Black Eel, smearing on Rhodia as long as 20 minutes later (where as Black Eel wouldn't smudge after about 3-4 minutes). Those were from the cartridges Monteverde provided as such I didn't bother to buy a bottle because the provided cartridges were way too wet (probably heavily lubricated).

I have a Nemosine Singularity Demonstrator fitted with a Goulet 1.5 stub nib. Out of the box with nemosine's own nib, I would not buy the Singularity again, however I would have no problems buying a metropolitan again. Even my $3 Petit1 or $10 78G performs better than my Nemosine out of the box.

Unless you're talking bout Calligraphy/Dip-Pen inks or older-style iron gall (ie: heavier in the iron sediment, and higher acidity), it shouldn't be that big a problem.

Hello KBeezie,

Ironically, Monteverde Blue and Black I haven't tried - I was using their Blue-Black, burgundy and turquoise - and all three of them felt granular to me - very little lubrication.

The primary ink in question is BSB. I already have the bottle; I had it in the pen that is supplied with it, (I think that is a Platinum Preppy). One day, a few months ago, it was working fine in the morning, when I went back in the afternoon, the pen was frozen. I couldn't get it to write at all, rinsing it under water didn't do anything - so I just ash-canned it. I probably should have joined FPN then and put up a post, but didn't bother. So now, I want to use a pen that I can disassemble if I should encounter the same issue again.

BTW, now I'm second-guessing my choice on a Nemosine and I'm confused again - thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

Yep and Yep.

If there was a Nobel Pen Prize, Parker should get one for the 45 nib assembly.

If Not the quickest nib assembly to break down, Indamndisputably the closest to foolproof to Get Back Together both correctly and quickly.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl