What Is Your Possibly Attainable, Unattainable Pen?

isaacrn

This is a fun thread. For me, 2 pens that are out of reach but might one day be attainable are a 1950s 149 and (ever further off) a 139, or maybe one of its smaller cousins--a 136? I really love the look of the flat top pens. Closer to possible is a 1950s 146, which is the pen I'd like to build towards.

(At the same time, if I ever got the silver ring 149 or the 139, I think I would share Montecristo's reluctance to use them...)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• da vinci

• isaacrn

• Pen Nut

• pavoni

This is a fun thread. For me, 2 pens that are out of reach but might one day be attainable are a 1950s 149 and (ever further off) a 139, or maybe one of its smaller cousins--a 136? I really love the look of the flat top pens. Closer to possible is a 1950s 146, which is the pen I'd like to build towards.

(At the same time, if I ever got the silver ring 149 or the 139, I think I would share Montecristo's reluctance to use them...)

I bought a 1956 149 Fine Flexible from Tom Westerich. At first I was afraid to even ink it but it's a pen and supposed to be inked.

I think this is the best writing instrument I may ever get my grubby hands on. This is a dream come true to hold and when it hits the paper.

In my own opinion I don't think I will ever find a better writing pen, but it can't hurt to look.

I'd really love to get a 128PL - they don't appear that often... :-(

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

Original MB Rouge et Noire and a pristine Meisterstück Serie 139 and, while I'm at it, Meisterstück Serie 128-G, a Parker Lucky Curve Duofold Mandarin Sr. and...

Unattainable would be any pen priced above 50K, but realistically, any MB priced above 10K would be difficult since I would have to sell off a good chunk of my collection to fund one.

In this order:

a Year of the Golden Dragon, B nib, with its own pen stand;

a 146 Silver Pinstripe Solitaire with its own pen stand;

a Karl der Grosse, 4810, with a customised BB italic nib;

a Carnegie with a EF nib.

Beside the first set – of which the pen stand is almost a "unicorn" – the other ones are not strictly unattainable, but I would not sacrifice any of my current pens to acquire them. Hopefully, however, at least within a certain range of price, just saving make sometimes things attainable...

Not wanting to hijack the OP's original purpose of this thread, but how good would it be for members to post photos of the pens other members have in their attainable/unattainable lists.

For example- I would love for someone to post a photo of a 4th July or 149 Skeleton for me

Just an idea......

I have very nearly vanished up my own ink sac juggling sales and purchases to get what MB I have 'grailised' ( that may not be a word but if it is its with a 's' not a 'z' )......... Chasing solid gold this then selling to get 'we' that, part of the fun if you ask me but where or when do you say enough is enough ? is it just a money / rarity issue or do you just become weary of it all ?

I am still in the game and hope to be for a while yet.

Missed a Winston Churchill a while ago but who knows what is around the next corner eh ! :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I have very nearly vanished up my own ink sac juggling sales and purchases to get what MB I have 'grailised' ( that may not be a word but if it is its with a 's' not a 'z' )......... Chasing solid gold this then selling to get 'we' that, part of the fun if you ask me but where or when do you say enough is enough ? is it just a money / rarity issue or do you just become weary of it all ?

Missed a Winston Churchill a while ago but who knows what is around the next corner eh ! :)

Made me laugh Pen Nut :D

Why do we do it? I cannot answer, just glad to hear you are still in the hunt :)

Edited by da vinci

Grailised with a 'z'... :yikes: Pen Nut, how could you suggest such a thing? Next you will be dropping the 'u' in colour and calling your bum-bag your f.......bag :blush:

Well, anyway, glad to see you are still chasing the bling and in it for the long-run :thumbup:

Excellent thread. Keep it coming guys.

Pavoni.

Edited by pavoni

Grailised with a 'z'... :yikes: Pen Nut, how could you suggest such a thing? :( Next you will be dropping the 'u' in colour and calling your bum-bag your f.......well, anyway, glad to see you are still chasing the bling and in it for the long-run :thumbup:

Excellent thread. Keep it coming guys.

Pavoni.

:)

So c'mon Pavoni, if you will beg my pardon, what's your pen in answer to the OP's question?

Ha, ha.... actually, once, whilst in Hamburg ;) I came very close to getting a demonstrator version of my grail pen...........the legendary MB L139. I actually held it, considered it, could afford it, and then, just as I thought I was saying to the Seller... "bag it. I'll take it", I stupidly found myself putting it back into the display tray. Within five minutes I had changed my mind and went back to purchase the pen, only to find that some fatherless person had bought it! Can you believe the audacity :headsmack: , Yep, the pen was sold :wallbash: Worse, the guy (a really nice guy and fellow FPNer) actually showed me what he had bought. :crybaby: I pride myself on my manners but......I must say, I found it very hard to remain polite whilst being forced to comment on how 'nice' the pen was. You try it through gritted teeth, it isn't easy! True story!

The pen was attainable BUT rightly remains, for me, an unattainable pen. Whilst I can afford such a pen, I can't really afford another divorce :rolleyes:

Pavoni.

A few years ago, I wanted a customized Danitrio... and then I wanted a customized Nakaya (more than just my name in kanji). I don't think about those ideas much anymore. Just enjoying my Nakayas, most with the kanji, a couple without.

BUT! If I were to start thinking about a currently unattainable attainable pen, it would be something customized.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 2 weeks later...

I stretched a couple years ago on a PL 234 1/2. It was in nice condition - by no means mint. My attainable/unattainable MB would be a marbled 333 1/2 or emerald 234 1/2.

(Laughing) I remembered that the customized pen I wanted was based on my connection to Buddhist philosophy, so the fact that I don't have the pen and don't mind seems fitting.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

" I am a weapon of massive consumption, its not my fault its how I'am programmed to function" :)

fpn_1339079271__montbl4.jpg

as carried by senior Buddas :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I have two graals

Hakase black bufalo's horn

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/513/7jrn.jpg

Soennecken

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/35/wnh0.jpg

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo