$40,000 Parker Pen?

william2001

+ 1 to what Tylerjordan said. (It's kinda like the old joke: "So, Mrs. Lincoln... other than that how was the play?")

Showed both links to my husband. His response was "Ewwww."

Frankly, after seeing the silver one, my response was pretty much the same as his. I thought the silver one would have the potential for *some* amount of attractiveness. I was wrong. Dead wrong.

Although they're still not as bad as the diamond studded 51 I saw on Ebay a year or two back. That one was just tasteless bling.

Stuff like this is why I mostly buy vintage Parkers, and inexpensive Vectors.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: It's also why I was so irate about how the good folks at Newell-Rubbermaid treated me when I sent my Urban in for repairs (under warranty) and then I had to send it to them AGAIN. I told them that the brand name used to MEAN something. But it's clear that they don't give a rat's *ss....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• prf5

• inkstainedruth

• Tylerjordan

• bardiir

I just hope that I don't spill any ink from my $40,000 pen onto my $2,000,000 comic book...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1-June-1938-Supermans-Debut-CGC-9-0-Perfect-White-Pages-/311050328393

:yikes:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I was wondering if Parker had a limited edition pen.

Looks like I found it: http://www.parkerpen.com/wcsstore/NewellCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/US/EN/PDFs/PARKER_Duofold%20Giant%20Limited%20Edition_Press%20Release_September%202013.pdf

But if you look at the price section (in the box), it says: "30 000€ (40 177.05 USD)."

I know that this is a dumb question, but I'm kind of doubting myself.

Is that pen really $40,000? Am I seeing it right?

I know that fountain pens are expensive, but $40,000? Wow.

-William S. Park

VAT is included in that price, so for US customers it will be about 20% less expensive.

I think that when companies do things like this, it shows a general lack of respect for their clientele.

"Why bother making it unique? Just throw a diamond on it..."

That mindset is very telling.

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

On another thread, in response to the question, what makes expensive pens worth it?, I identified four reasons. One is investment value. If a buyer has $40,000 to invest on the assumption that in 20 years it could increase in value substantially, and have a conversation piece in the meantime, then they might go for it. To make that decision, a prospective buyer would want to know more than what's in the brochure, especially about the quality of the diamonds. $40,000 is a pittance compared to the Fulgor Nocturnus that sold for $8 million at auction.

At least the Nocturnus was for a good cause. Conspicious consumption put to good use.

Stay well,

Solomon

Edited by varmas

WTB: Unusual and prototype Sheaffer Connaisseurs, Grande Connaisseurs and Parker Premiers.

I think that when companies do things like this, it shows a general lack of respect for their clientele.

"Why bother making it unique? Just throw a diamond on it..."

That mindset is very telling.

Yeah, don't bother with oh, say, R&D, quality control, market research.... Cause, you know, nobody wants a *pen* -- they just want bling to show off with on how much money they have....

At least the Nocturnus was for a good cause. Conspicious consumption put to good use.

Stay well,

Solomon

It's interesting that some folks take personal offense at a $40,000 Parker when they could set their sights higher. Here's a website to peruse that includes the Tribaldi and a few other garish tidbits. http://www.pensbyhadfield.com/blogs/news/9095699-top-10-most-expensive-and-beautify-fountain-pens-from-around-the-world

I think it's because of Parker's history and our expectations when they claim that they're going to release "a pen inspired by history".

$40k and its isn't looking good either... (Personal opinion), but sometimes, whom are loaded with $$$ rapidly loosing their sense of styles and get suckers of expensive bad style, as well overpriced nonsense stuff...

Gotta keep up with the Jones's, Gates and the Trumps and whom ever think that they are rich.

Could the so called rich cash out and be debt free .

Like the person that always paid cash for everything can not get credit because they don't owe anyone.

I'll pass on the pen...

• 1 month later...

not for me thanks

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

It might have been based on the Sonnet. Then there would have been a more perfect marriage of poor taste and cantankerous operation.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

To those who are put off by the high price, please go back and read the description carefully. In doing so, you will notice that this flagship pen contains "precious black resin"!!! So now you know! :lol:

P.S. - In your face, MB!!!

Nihonto Chicken

To those who are put off by the high price, please go back and read the description carefully. In doing so, you will notice that this flagship pen contains "precious black resin"!!! So now you know! :lol:

P.S. - In your face, MB!!!

Chicken, long time no cluck. Good to see that avatar again.

Farm(er) boy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

One thing i simply dont understand --whats the meaning of using solid gold or diamond in making the body of the pen ? The main purpose is writing and for this a gold nib is enough, even ghough not necessary. So many pens of different companys are very very pretty, and for that solid gold or diamond has not been required ! A pen is afterall not a showpiece I suppose ! The design definitely matters but these diamonds etc seem simply meaningless to a user of a pen.

Thanks and regards to all.

Edited by parban

• 2 weeks later...

The kicker is, you will still have to send it to John Mottishaw before it works right! :)

http://www.maryhatay.com/Mark/Fountain-Pens/Mixed-Pens/i-qv5h3mN/0/O/atramentum%20Digitis%20small.jpg