Snagged A Bargain Yesterday

sherbie

Folks, I had a good day yesterday - no pen finds, but did turn up this MB Florence 2/3 pen case (160 x 50 x 25 mm) in matte black from 1990s, for a pittance - $15 to be precise. Its in used condition, with some minor scuff marks, but with a little bit of elbow grease, it will smarten up very nicely.

To be honest, because it was offered up so cheaply, I did have to look at it closely as I thought it could be a fake - but within a few minutes of handling this item, the quality shines through - very sturdy, rigid, faultless leather work (what else would you expect from our Italian friends?), and a really nice "popping" sound when you remove the lid quickly.

As you can see, the case will hold a MB 149 and a 146 easily, and will hold 2 MB 149 as well, but there is no divider inside - so to secure the the pens, you have to place the clips in the recess and slide the lid over to secure. It works well, but not sure I'd secure any really special pens with fancy clips this way.

Enjoy your weekend

cheers, Paul

post-25072-0-26719100-1408307398_thumb.jpg

post-25072-0-81095200-1408307432_thumb.jpg

post-25072-0-36500800-1408307456_thumb.jpg

post-25072-0-32243800-1408307500_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sherbie

• Paul Raposo

• Art

• sd10521

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow what a wonderful steal!! Thank you for the pics too. I love that case and have always wanted one. One of the few hard cases still out there. Every ad I've seen though does not show a picture of the inside of the case. Are there any dividers?

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

I'm afraid not, and that is why a lot of people prefer the single Florence case. You could, I guess, put a bit of rolled up fabric ( soft cloth or something) in the case to stop the 2 pens banging against each other, if you don't want to use the clips to secure the pens.

A wonderful design; I love how there is an indent for the clip end; enjoy it!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Wow, Paul, excellent find :thumbup:

I have to ask--from a boot sale, or antique shop, yard sale perhaps?

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

Hi Paul,

it was from a newly opened antique shop in Houston. I,ve been living in the USA now 8 months, and in my dreams I had thought the streets would be lined with vintage pens, but it seems they are very hard to find. When they do show up in antique shops, they price up even no-name battered old dogs at 50$ plus.

I guess most old pens end up on ebay, as they are so easy to send out?

Hey ho......I know if I keep looking, i,ll find a good 'un at a smart price sooner or later!

Cheers, paul

it was from a newly opened antique shop in Houston. I,ve been living in the USA now 8 months, and in my dreams I had thought the streets would be lined with vintage pens, but it seems they are very hard to find. When they do show up in antique shops, they price up even no-name battered old dogs at 50$ plus.

I guess most old pens end up on ebay, as they are so easy to send out?

Excellent find, sherbie and glad you walked in and grabbed it before anyone else :thumbup:

I know how you feel about the lack of pens in the wild. I was at a small antique shop that opened near me and the owner had a Sheaffer cartridge pen with steel nib from the 1980s selling for $35.

Sadly, many pens also end up in the trash, as the gold nibs have been pulled and sold for scrap.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

That is a magnificent price! Lucky you. Enjoy it :)

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.