Ok So I Hooked.. Where Do I Start With Vacumatic?

ArbInv

Hi All

I recently purchased my first Vacumatic at the DC Penshow. I looked at hundreds of models and was pretty overwhelmed by the sheer number of models and variants. I decided on a nice condition Silver Pearl which you can see in photo below. Its a single jewel in decent condition. It has no markings on the pen body. I had a little tuning work from Tim Girdler at the show and it writes like a dream. It has the brown plastic filling pump filler so I suspect its a later model.

Firstly, any help in identifying he model, year etc would be greatly appreciated??

Secondly, I now want to add a few more of these Vacumatics to the collection. The sheer number of models and variants make collecting easy but also confusing as to where to start. Obviously adding different color variations is one way to go but any suggestions on how to segment a collection by model types as I want to build a collection to use but one which will also appreciate in value over time. The Burgundy and Green colors definitely appeal as do the larger Maxima pens. Any advice from existing collectors very much welcomed.

Many Thanks

-Andy

post-114723-0-84582500-1408282937_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penmanila

• ArbInv

• Florida Blue

• DrCodfish

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi, welcome to vacumatics. i'm a vac fan myself (as you can see below)--they can be quite addicting, as there are so many variations, and it will take you a very long time to master all of them. don't let that bother you--as far as i'm concerned, every vac is worth collecting and using.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8086/8465348432_a916e9a95b_z.jpg

yours is a vac major from around 1942 or a bit later. we call this a third-generation vac. that's the first thing you need to know about vacs--there are generally three generations to consider, with many models, colors, and variants within each generation.

an excellent site to visit for further information is parkerpens.net.

don't hesitate to ask questions--there are lots of vac experts here (much more knowledgeable than me for sure) who can help you find your way forward.

Check out my blog and my pens

Ideed, that's Major 3rd gen.

Here's mine, along with a 1st gen Oversize

14754015674_3f6a46567d_c.jpg

10551953264_1f34d0a312_c.jpg

Here is Silver Pearl Major along with a Long Major Golden Pearl:

12438414154_a314d7cd2e_c.jpg

Just pick the body color and size nibs you want and the best condition/deals you can find. Also research their flaws etc so you know what to look for when buying them, same as a vintage car buyers do. They know the ins and outs of each model and know the prices much better than a casual buyer.

A lot of great info has already been given by other members, but my advice for right now might be to just read up on the history of the Vacumatic and its many variants before spending any significant sums of money. According to one infamous Vac expert there are over 750 variants of the Vacumatic.

The Vacumatic book by David Shepherd is the most comprehensive publication of information on the Vac and as penmanila wrote, parker pens.net is an excellent online source of info for all Parkers including the Vac. Of course the older threads in the Parker sub-forum are packed with info.

Maximas are going to cost you quite a bit. If you are looking for a larger pen at a cheaper price you might want to consider a Major made between 1938 and 1941, which collectors call the "Long Major" as it was much longer than the Majors that preceded and followed it. Earlier Standards are a good size too and would be cheaper than the Maximas and Oversized models.

Burgundy Pearl models seem to sell for more than other colors because it had a shorter life span and was used in earlier Vacs. Emerald Pearl and Azure Blue Pearl are other colors that seem popular with collectors. The most common colors seem to be Black, Silver Pearl and Golden Brown and these colors can often be had for a bit less.

Since we're posting photos of our Vacs, here are two of mine:

A 1946 Major in Golden Pearl and a 1942 Sub-Debutante in Emerald Pearl

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae149/thefancyman/DSCF5837_zpseb0b350a.jpg

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Hi All

Thanks so much for the advice, suggestions and pictures. Some nice looking pens out there. I will do my research and try and put together a plan for where to go next. I probably will try and avoid ebay so can anyone recommend trusted dealers? Also does anyone keep a price register so I can compare prices for different models and variants as its so hard to tell what one should be paying.

Best

-Andy

Yes, avoid EBay. Try car boot sales, garage sales or auctions for cheap pens some of them might need restoration. Buy from this site and some other dealers online, more expensive but with guaranties.

One more bit of advice: think about getting a second job, it will help occupy your time so that your new obsession does not fry your brain, and ... the money will surely come in handy. I may not be typical but once I got a fist full of majors, I started gravitating to the double jewel models, I have yet to snag a burgundy, but I watch, and wait.

i wouldn't be so wary of ebay, since most of the best deals out there are on ebay; however, a deal's a deal only if you know what you're looking for and how much it should cost--and that's knowledge you don't get overnight. for real-world prices--even if you don't buy from ebay--you can still use the "sold" listings on ebay as a fairly reliable guide (discounting the highest and lowest prices for the same model). here's a clickable search that i set up for you:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Parker-/14001/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=vacumatic&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=14001&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=10&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

as you can see, a burgundy oversize just sold for $550, but typical third-gen majors like yours go for around $50--so with vacs, seemingly minor differences in length and color can make $$$ difference. but let me add that you should also assume that ebay pens need to be restored, so factor in another $30-35 for restoration.

outside of ebay, you can check out these sellers of vacumatics:

parker vacumatic sale

since you're new to vacs, it would be best to buy them restored--one at a time, so you learn something with each one you're getting. good luck!

What Penmanila said. I have focused on pens that sellers said were ready to go (restored). But I have also purchased pens that looked good and had them restored in the price range mentioned above. AND I've also taken chances on "found this pen cleaning out grammas desk' pens and had some great luck. But in starting out just know that this quote from the famous cowboy philosopher Will Rogers applies: "Good judgment comes form experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I have done what you are about to do. Take your time do the research, the Parker Vacumatic book is great to have.

For me living in the shadows of the great Parker Pen Company near Janesville WI I have been to auctions in the area watched and learn what the going price for unrestored Parkers [ wholesale prices ] Vac's, P51's & Duofolds go for in the area. What I see selling on ebay pens listed as picked up at estate auctions/sales. I have learned what I am willing to pay for pen from what I've seen the local [ Deep Pocket ] pen buyers spend. When I go to an auction I see who's there, what pens are there and look for the one or two pens that I would like to have. I have only been shut out once at an auction [ that sucks ] did not get one pen. Then again I have good days at an auction. Flea markets, antique shops, garage sales are all great places to look and the online pen dealers.

I have tough myself to restore the pens that I have collected by doing the research and obtaining the tools and supplies to do the work. That is one of the fun things I like to after hunting down the pens in the wild..

Everyone here on FPN are helpful in sharing their knowledge in fountain pens.

Good luck in your new hobby.

Ken

I'm another "ready to drop some coin on my first vacumatic" neophyte, looking for a pen much like the one you got at the show. I'm not quite yet ready to start haunting auctions, flea markets, Al Capone vault openings, antique shops or garage sales, as the advice I'm working from is to a) buy a modestly-priced restored pen to get a feel for whether I like the way they write and feel then B) look in all those places to satisfy what will likely be an all-consuming passion.

One step at a time.

By the by, you got a great-looking pen. Well done.

bob

Check out TBickiii on Fleabay, he's a fellow FPNer and one of The Good Guys, he has nice restored Vacs every week.

Bruce in a Ocala, Fl

On the pen barrel, following "Made in USA", there may be either two numbers, or one number and some dots.

This is the Parker date code of the year and calendar quarter. What do you see ?

The Vacumatic was made of a new material, that was very strong and hard. This allowed thinner construction,

meaning lightweight and large ink capacity. It was the first acrylic. The Allied forces used it in aircraft canopies

and windshields. The Axis still used plate glass. In the USA, Dupont called it Lucite. In Britain, it was Plexiglas.

A second job is unnecessary. You can sell a kidney. :lticaptd:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

The Vacumatic was made of a new material, that was very strong and hard. This allowed thinner construction,

meaning lightweight and large ink capacity. It was the first acrylic. The Allied forces used it in aircraft canopies

and windshields. The Axis still used plate glass. In the USA, Dupont called it Lucite. In Britain, it was Plexiglas.

I think you might be confusing the 51 for the Vacumatic. The Vacumatic was made from celluloid and the 51 from acrylic.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Check out TBickiii on Fleabay, he's a fellow FPNer and one of The Good Guys, he has nice restored Vacs every week.

Bruce in a Ocala, Fl

Wow you're not kidding. And quite good prices too, even with shipping from Down Under to Way Over. Thanks for the referral.

So many options… So little time. Vacumatics are a real treat and the collectability is as if a hobby within a hobby. You're hooked I can tell, it's going to be a fun journey to start. I have been a collector for a long time and Vacs are always something I look for. I'll share a few that have made way into my collection. I found some past size comparison photos I took

Here are some Generation 1:

post-96011-0-96671000-1409112177_thumb.jpg

Here are some Gen2's & 3's

(technically the one on the end is a Duofold, but that's another topic)

post-96011-0-38448600-1409112250.jpg

(technically the one on the end is a Duofold, but that's another topic)

www.pen-deco.com

Isn't the one on the end a Vacumatic simply done in Duofold colours? I was lead to believe (by a number of reliable sources) that Parker whipped up some Vacumatic pens using the striped duofold colours and affixed them with the Vacumatic clip, nib, and imprint.

If yours is indeed imprinted with 'DUOFOLD' then wouldn't the clip (and potentially nib) be incorrect for it?

Either way, you have an enviable collection!

Edited by Tylerjordan

It's been called a Duovac and a Vacufold--in any case, it's been classified mainly as a Duofold, the same way that Parker 51 Vacumatics fall mainly under P51s.