Left FPN

This topic has been the subject of other topics so I have commenced a separate topic.

After some internet searching I found this.

The first accounting/trading year was 1988 after Gillette acquired Waterman Pens.

Could this be why they endorsed the ink packaging with 88.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nath

• Left FPN

• Ernst Bitterman

• RMN

Waterman was purchased by Gillette in 1987.

The Ink Waterman 88 was produced from the 50s. This is a French manufacturing and production, so from 1954, and without doubt from 1958.
No later than 1987 (and probably before), the Waterman inks are no longer "Waterman 88" inks.

A good question to occupy sleepless nights!

Anyway now I'd like to know the answer :)

My point though Nath is that I have only seen 88 printed on bottles and cartridge packages from around the 1988 era and not the contents of the containers. Do you have a picture showing inks from the 50s with 88 on them.

Edited by Force

I haven't true information on this point, only a picture of an ad of 1958 and a picture of the "PEUGEOT 203 Fourgon WATERMAN Tour de France 1958" (1/43) from AutoReclame; both with "Waterman 88":

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/783351Waterman882Ad1958.jpg

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/909863Waterman885Peugeot203.jpg

On catalogues, one dated 1990 no mention of Waterman 88 inks, nor on less important catalogue dated September 1987.

So, as you can see, I do know not much

Edited by Nath

We have though a little more information to go on.

I'll tell you what is funny and coincidental with another picture. This is our new car on which we have put a retained registration number. The number was originally on my grandfathers 1950's Ford Anglia and has been handed down through the family. The 'S' denotes the county of first registration, Oxford UK.

fpn_1408518506__swl88.jpg

Edited by Force

L'Alsace-Lorraine :) too long History and not in relation with this topic.

The French department 88, the Vosges is in eastern France.

Waterman is in the Loire-Atlantique department "44" (Saint-Herblain) in western France.

Waterman in Paris was near the "Place de l'Étoile" (the explanation for the name of Man 100 Étoile) not in "Place des Vosges".

In symbolism, the number eight is the symbol of infinity, 88 symbolizes the dual leadership of the infinity of the universe, the infinitely small and the infinitely large.

A idea!!!?? This "88", is it really the number 88 or the "double "eight" that we draw almost mechanically when we test a FP/nib? :huh:

….???

The Parker 88 was numbered to reflect the date-- 1988 being the Parker centennial year.

If only that ad were a little bigger, there might be some hint. "Our ink has 88 atoms in its molecules; just right for a pen's feed!" or some similar ad-man nonsense.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

The Parker 88 was numbered to reflect the date-- 1988 being the Parker centennial year.

If only that ad were a little bigger, there might be some hint. "Our ink has 88 atoms in its molecules; just right for a pen's feed!" or some similar ad-man nonsense.

well I'll be hog tied...is it that simple.

I have just been looking at my Camera tripod...it's a Slik 88...I bought it in 1988.

Ok let's add some more numbers here, have a numerology topic.

How about 23?

23- cartridges to be precise. Even seen together with 88.

See further down this Topic: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/271018-help-with-identification-please/

You know about these carts, Nath? And if so, could you time them to the other cartridges Waterman had? If so, this could also put a timeframe on the 88.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

My piecing-together suggests that the 23 is the pattern of the cartridge (but "WHY '23'?" remains mysterious), which was in service at the same time as the C/F pattern cartridges; they shared at least some of the 1960s and possibly the '70s, so it was necessary to distinguish. I assume that the 23 was removed in the mid-'70s to make way for international patterns, an assumption I base on a couple of models I've have contact with. The C/F cartridges remained available until at least 1994, as I have an undated catalogue offering them and the Expert (introduced in '94) at the same time.

Note, though, how much of that is rough estimate and speculation. Nath, anyone else, please offer more firm, data-driven information. I don't cling to my ignorance, and will be grateful for correction!

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg