My "fully Restored" Eversharp Skyline Burgundy

KBeezie

So grabbed this "Fully Restored" Skyline for $35 (no shipping since the seller turned out to be local). Which I guess means he restored the original chew marks back onto the pen.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/top.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/bottom.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/uncapped.jpg

For 35, I see it as a good 'starting point' provided the sac, feed and nib are restored/cleaned/working (which they seem to be).

Now I just either need to find a replacement cap, or just the derby style clip, and it'll pretty much be usage grade. Not really finding much in the way of clips.

PS: That pink 'stuff' is teflon tape, other than the clip being missing, the only other issue stated in the listing was that the threads on the upper cap weren't well secured, as such teflon tape was used to secure it. Only issue is, seems that the side of the nib impacts with the side of that inner cap depending on which angle it is put in.

Edit: Fills and writes nicely though. (Oh that's Diamine Syrah btw)

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/write.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• Cryptos

• AG_ORD

• Scribblesoften

Congratulations on your pen find. Be a bit careful the plastic used on these pens is notorious for getting brittle with age. I hope you find your clip and the pen gets really restored. Good find.

Congratulations on your pen find. Be a bit careful the plastic used on these pens is notorious for getting brittle with age. I hope you find your clip and the pen gets really restored. Good find.

The internals are restored... the outside is well, as you can see.

Though I did just get finished giving the pen a shine job, won't get rid of the scratches completely but it's much shinier and nicer to the touch.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/full.jpg

I also have a cap and clip on the way (ran me $12 including shipping), a green/black striated cap with a clip that I can clean up and polish and either decide to move the clip over, or do a little mixing and matching with a celluloid cap on the burgundy body (but keep the original cap in case I decide to resell).

Edited by KBeezie

Sorry Karl, don't mean to be a pain but was there a particular reason for buying this pen? It's just that the costs (time and money) to get this one to user grade seem to be approaching the cost of an already properly restored version. Or did you just want some practice in restoring. Simply curious, not judging.

Sorry Karl, don't mean to be a pain but was there a particular reason for buying this pen? It's just that the costs (time and money) to get this one to user grade seem to be approaching the cost of an already properly restored version. Or did you just want some practice in restoring. Simply curious, not judging.

Karl gets some experience and a pen is saved from the bin. Not as economical as buying fully restored, but the education and salvage have real value as well. I say, "Bravo Karl!"

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

Karl gets some experience and a pen is saved from the bin. Not as economical as buying fully restored, but the education and salvage have real value as well. I say, "Bravo Karl!"

Well actual fully restored like how my Skyline Demi was would run me around $100. This was $35 with the internals already restored (sac, nib, feed, lever) and 12 more for the cap [mainly for the clip], that's still half of what I'd have to spend, least from what I've seen lately. ($80 seems to be the low end for a good quality restore).

But yes there is a sort of euphoria to putting some of my own work into it, plus the nib smoothness and flow is doing rather well, so still a winner. Though I'll probably advise the seller on what to call "fully" restored, my definition of such would be that it has a clip doesn't have scratches and dinged. What he basically did was restored it to "writing condition".

It's my second Skyline (the Army-Navy Demi was my first).

Fair enough. I acquired a fully restored standard sized Skyline with a candy striped cap for $70 from a reputable restorer. That may have been a bit low, but prices do vary erratically at times on eBay. However, it is always good to learn some new techniques. I shall have to have a go at restoring myself one day.

Regarding chew-marks, I'm ready for someone with more knowledge to correct me, but I have read that as long as no material is missing (i.e. a chip) a little heat (hair-dryer) can sometimes restore the shape of the plastic. Might be worth a shot given that this is a "project pen". Best of luck.

Regarding chew-marks, I'm ready for someone with more knowledge to correct me, but I have read that as long as no material is missing (i.e. a chip) a little heat (hair-dryer) can sometimes restore the shape of the plastic. Might be worth a shot given that this is a "project pen". Best of luck.

Yea chew marks and even cracks can be repaired, I'm not knowledgeable myself to do so, but Sean can do it since he did so on one of my Sheaffers that had a cracked cap and chew marks on both ends of the pen:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/carminebalance/uncapped.jpg

He's also the one that restored my Demi.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/eversharp_skyline_demi/uncapped.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

Received the cap today. I was originally just going to move the clip over to the burgundy cap, but this cap fits on and screws on much better (the inner cap doesn't collide with the sides of the nib like the burgundy cap did). So I got it all soaked, disassembled, cleaned and polished.

Not exactly color coordinated, but it works rather well.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/before_after.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/posted_new_cap.jpg

• 1 month later...

KB,

That pen cleaned up nicely! I just bought a similar looking Skyline and I was wanting to send it to someone for re-saccing, smoothing of nib etc. For some reason, the Skyline I received, the nib was jambed way into the section.

I know you mentioned Sean's name before, but I can't find the earlier post. Does he specialize in restoration repair of Eversharp pens? Reason I ask, I binged and also bought a Symphony FP, MP and CA pen set the same time I bought the Skyline. I couldn't pass it up as it is a first generation Symphony set. I would like to get the sac replaced as well as getting the CA pen open, (I am hesitant to force twisting the pen open). Any assistance would be appreciated.

KB,

That pen cleaned up nicely! I just bought a similar looking Skyline and I was wanting to send it to someone for re-saccing, smoothing of nib etc. For some reason, the Skyline I received, the nib was jambed way into the section.

I know you mentioned Sean's name before, but I can't find the earlier post. Does he specialize in restoration repair of Eversharp pens? Reason I ask, I binged and also bought a Symphony FP, MP and CA pen set the same time I bought the Skyline. I couldn't pass it up as it is a first generation Symphony set. I would like to get the sac replaced as well as getting the CA pen open, (I am hesitant to force twisting the pen open). Any assistance would be appreciated.

You can contact him by his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Write-on-Time-Vintage-Pens-Watches-Restoration-and-Service/208871225809681

Eversharp (particularly Skyline) Are one of his main focuses along with a lot of the older sheaffer pens like balances, tuckaways vac, touchdowns, snorkels, pfm, etc and some parkers like Parker 51. At one time he had about 20 Eversharp Skylines (my Demi was one of them).

I don't think he would charge more than $35-40 as long as all the parts are still there (the sacs and seals if any get replaced regardless), but you'd have to contact him for an updated price, he may also do pricing on a case-by-case basis especially if you have multiples to be restored. Essentially ever one I had come back from him (or purchased from him already restored) has been pretty much like-new condition.

The new cap looks good.

Was it an eBay find?

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

You can contact him by his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Write-on-Time-Vintage-Pens-Watches-Restoration-and-Service/208871225809681

Eversharp (particularly Skyline) Are one of his main focuses along with a lot of the older sheaffer pens like balances, tuckaways vac, touchdowns, snorkels, pfm, etc and some parkers like Parker 51. At one time he had about 20 Eversharp Skylines (my Demi was one of them).

I don't think he would charge more than $35-40 as long as all the parts are still there (the sacs and seals if any get replaced regardless), but you'd have to contact him for an updated price, he may also do pricing on a case-by-case basis especially if you have multiples to be restored. Essentially ever one I had come back from him (or purchased from him already restored) has been pretty much like-new condition.

Thanks KB....you get an ASSIST!!!!