La Big Boheme Bummer!

thepianolist

My Big Boheme was to be the perfect pen for me - but this has not been so. I got it used but in great cosmetic condition. It had bad skipping and starting problems and I sent it out to someone to see if it could be made into a good writer. The retracting mechanism was damaged so badly that it rattled when I got it back. Tried having Montblanc repair it. Went to Texas twice. First time back, it looked good but loosened up again in a short while. Next time back, you couldn't post the cap to extend the nib without the cap ring hitting the ring on the pen body and stopping before the nib would extend. Off to Germany! So far, the retracting mechanism is holding tight but it seems to run dry after about 3/4 of a page of good writing. I know the feed was replaced as is the practice and it was supposed to be checked for good writing. It DOES write great at first but then becomes anemic. These Big Bohemes are becoming difficult to find and I really hate to give up on making this the good writer it has the potential to be. There are times that it is perfect, so I know it CAN be good- - just not consistently right now.

Bryant

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thepianolist

• JLS1

• Chrissy

• Jackson

Wow, I am amazed that Montblanc can't fix this pen for good at one attempt. But not being able to fix it so that it's working perfectly after 3 attempts is remarkable.

If it was mine I would persevere because for a big Boheme it must be worth it.

It sounds to me like there's a problem with the feed in that it can't keep the nib supplied with enough ink over time. When you start writing, the feed is probably saturated with ink, but over time (i.e., at about 3/4 of a page) it can't keep up anymore.

This might be a dumb question, but have you cleaned out the pen since getting it back from MB? (I know that MB sells their own cleaning cartridges, so this might be the way to go initially in case you have to return it.)

FWIW, I really like the Big Boheme and would buy one if I find/afford it...

It sounds to me like there's a problem with the feed in that it can't keep the nib supplied with enough ink over time. When you start writing, the feed is probably saturated with ink, but over time (i.e., at about 3/4 of a page) it can't keep up anymore.

This might be a dumb question, but have you cleaned out the pen since getting it back from MB? (I know that MB sells their own cleaning cartridges, so this might be the way to go initially in case you have to return it.)

FWIW, I really like the Big Boheme and would buy one if I find/afford it...

--

Yes, just finding a BB seems difficult these days--since I haven't been able to locate a single one, can anyone enlighten me about a likely price range, should one appear? That would help me decide whether to pounce or stay patient. (New Vs. used asking prices...?)

Thanks for the replies! I also thought it might be a feed problem but the feed has been replaced each time the pen went out. I have several cleaning cartridges since I also have the Marron and Vert standard size Bohemes and gave it a good flush each time it came back. These ARE getting difficult to find and when it works, it is really great, so I don't plan on giving up the quest to make it a good, serviceable writer. It would be a shame to relegate such a pen to collector status instead of a prominent position in the rotation. As nice as the standard size pens are - this takes it one step (or maybe two steps) beyond!

Jackson, when I got this on November 10th, 2013 from Italy, I won it for $745.78 on eBay with $15.00 for shipping. Since it is no longer a current item, I would imagine a NOS example would fetch a premium. This one was sold as used but there is not even the slightest scratch on it and the initial cleaning produced no ink residue so I wonder if it had ever been inked?

Bryant

Thanks for the replies! I also thought it might be a feed problem but the feed has been replaced each time the pen went out. I have several cleaning cartridges since I also have the Marron and Vert standard size Bohemes and gave it a good flush each time it came back. These ARE getting difficult to find and when it works, it is really great, so I don't plan on giving up the quest to make it a good, serviceable writer. It would be a shame to relegate such a pen to collector status instead of a prominent position in the rotation. As nice as the standard size pens are - this takes it one step (or maybe two steps) beyond!

Jackson, when I got this on November 10th, 2013 from Italy, I won it for $745.78 on eBay with $15.00 for shipping. Since it is no longer a current item, I would imagine a NOS example would fetch a premium. This one was sold as used but there is not even the slightest scratch on it and the initial cleaning produced no ink residue so I wonder if it had ever been inked?

Bryant

So it sounds like the feed's probably OK - what kind of ink(s) have you been using in it?

I have been using Montblanc Royal Blue in this big as well as in the standard size Bohemes. I really like the way the ink changes color depending on how much light is on it. In low light, it just looks like a medium to dark blue but under high light levels or in sunlight, it really comes alive into this vibrant blue. I never liked the idea of a cartridge pen before but since getting the Bohemes, I find it very convenient to not have to have a bottle handy every time I need a fill. I also like the idea that the nib stays clean. I hate seeing dry ink on such a big and grand nib!

Bryant

I have been using Montblanc Royal Blue in this big as well as in the standard size Bohemes. I really like the way the ink changes color depending on how much light is on it. In low light, it just looks like a medium to dark blue but under high light levels or in sunlight, it really comes alive into this vibrant blue. I never liked the idea of a cartridge pen before but since getting the Bohemes, I find it very convenient to not have to have a bottle handy every time I need a fill. I also like the idea that the nib stays clean. I hate seeing dry ink on such a big and grand nib!

Bryant

Hmm...I like MB Royal Blue and think it's a good ink, but I started wondering if another MB (or other) ink might flow better. Would you be able (and willing) to fill an empty cartridge up with another ink as a test? (Say Waterman's Florida Blue or whatever they're calling it these days...)

JLS1, thanks for the suggestion but I would rather not run another color ink through it. The Marron and Vert standard size Bohemes work good with this ink. I know there are some differences in the standard and Big sizes but I hope I can eventually get this to work good enough to become a regular user.

Bryant

JLS1, thanks for the suggestion but I would rather not run another color ink through it. The Marron and Vert standard size Bohemes work good with this ink. I know there are some differences in the standard and Big sizes but I hope I can eventually get this to work good enough to become a regular user.

Bryant

No worries - I totally understand. Good luck and I hope you manage to sort it out!