Do You Use A Camera Stand?

tmenyc

yes, that's it all right. The trouble is that I'm cheap, and always try to work out a solution with what I have, first. Running out of options, though, since I'm pretty sure my tripod won't take one of the arms. Allen, do you like your Gitzo?

Tim

Love it, use it all the time, it has become a necessary bit of kit.

I resent the price.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmenyc

• pen2paper

• AllenG

• gammada

Yeah, pretty dear. I'm going to go to B&H (sounds like their ad...) this week and see what kind of deals there are. But, the time has come. I did another batch of photos last week and just can't get close enough on an angle shot to not have DoF distortion and to get the kind of detail I want. The trouble is, I started taking photos of pens to sell the pens, and then the pics weren't good enough, and now I'm getting pleasure out of the quest for better and better photos!

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

OK, Advisory Board: I think I may have found my solution. I need to buy a tripod with a center column that will tilt to horizontal. I'm willing to do this for up to a max of $200 for the entire solution. Prices are really competitive here in NYC, and Labor Day sales are starting. This price is the same as on Amazon, and I'd rather pay tax than shipping or have to deal with returning it if it's not right. Both Adorama and B&H are on my way home from work.

What do you think of this? Vanguard seems to be a good mid-level brand. This model does what I want it to do, is not a super-professional level of durability or price or materials, but has good precision, seems well-made.

In a multifaceted and so far wildly successful evasion of work (see my other posts today for other examples...) I'm tryiing to nail it down today, and definitely want to do my research before discussing with either B&H or Adorama.

Any thoughts?

thanks!

Tim

Tim

That looks basically the same as my Gitzo for half the price.

Things can become unbalanced when you have a big camera on the end of the neck and perpendicular to the tripod. You may have to hang some counterweights on it or sandbag the feet.

I would give that a chance before spending what I did in my Gitzo again.

Hi Tim,

Never used Vanguard tripods before, so I really can't claim any experience with them. But doing some research on the net, I find that, overall, it is a good tripod for the price. Only negative comments I read are as follows:

"I like it because it is lightweight. But I don't like the base plate because it loosens very easy. The plate should have softer rubber so it would stick better!"

"The only thing I don't care for is the quick release plate. With the quality of this product, you would think they would find a way to take the quick release plate on and off without having to use a quarter, or other external implement. I would also prefer a more standard plate, like an ARCA."

"Only one problem is the tripod head is not strong enough to hold my 18-200 lens (extended out) with out dropping a little. But I fixed that by just raising it a little before tighten it down. It works great if I don't extend the lens out all the way."

And here's a great review of the same:

http://www.livingoverland.com/2012/08/vanguard-alta-pro-264ab-100.html

BTW on Amazon this tripod is cheaper than Adorama: http://www.amazon.com/VANGUARD-ALTA-100-Professional-Tripod/product-reviews/B0067WUWCG/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm/188-4559394-0653726?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I would dare to say that it could prove to be a great tripod with minor nuisances.

Allen, Gammada,

thanks for the quick responses, much much appreciated. Yeah, this is one time that I will use a slightly more expensive local price over Amazon, at least to try it out. Having the store six blocks away is really important for me. I'm going to go see them tomorrow after work.

thanks again.

Tim

Tim

Tim, thanks for bearing with my inquiring along with you. Would you please share how this works out for you?

It's a huge chunk of change for my needs, similarly I need the facing down set up. Just an old Canon A series, so not too heavy.

Hope it's a winner!

This is a great group, helpful to both of us! I'll certainly post about it this weekend.

It is a chunk of change, for sure, but I'm willing to do it since the need is real and growing. I'm not willing to spend $600.

Tim

Tim

Well, I got the tripod on Friday, the Vanguard Alta Pro 264AT and the BH100 head. The whole thing totaled out at $194. I've been breaking it in ever since, and it's great.

15107045395_30ddb0a7ca.jpg

14919909257_1f47a8bea5.jpg[14919917048_f0dabcb6d5.jpg

And, it's so much easier seeing the frame on my Mac at the same time, although my camera overheats if it's on live view for too long.

15106473645_f0a70d3371.jpg

Big Improvement!

14919929708_3e8d17da9b.jpg

Thanks again for all the help and advice!

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

Allen,

I think the ball head mounting is pretty standard, so if both male and female ends are standard, then yes... I will say that there was no searching for a single model head, it was just the one that came with this set of legs and is, I believe, used on numerous Vanguard models. I was quite impressed with its balance and the fittings. It does get a little shaky when the center pole is completely horizontal and extended all the way, but it has a hook at the end of the center pole to hold a stabilizing weight (not included, make your own ziploc bag of sand...), which I gather is a standard feature, and you don't usually need to have the pole fully extended. I did discover the basic truth that all vertical adjustment has to be from the legs and not the center pole once it's horizontal...duh...

Let me know if you want other more detailed pictures of the tripod.

Tim

Tim

@Tim

I suggest making an extension to the horizontal column to extend to the side opposite the camera, there you can attach/hang a weight that will counter balance your camera. As it is, the head is taking up all the force to hold the column horizontal. That is unless there is a stop on the tripod, to limit the droop of the column in the horizontal position.

BTW, sorry I did not come on earlier.

You could have cobbled together a horizontal boom for the TiltAll.

A 4 or 5 ft piece of aluminum or steel L bar.

Drill a 1/4" hole in the center for the tripod screw and use a 1/4x20 wing nut to hold the bar to the tripod.

On the camera side, multiple options

- drill a 1/4" hole to mount a ball head

- drill a hole on the horizontal side and attach an L bracket, drill a 1/4" hole on the L bracket, and use a 1/4x20 wing screw to attach your camera.

- drill a 1/4" hold on the vertical side and use a 1/4x20 wing screw to attach your camera.

On the opposite side from the camera, attach a counter balance weight.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Arggh... you're right, I clearly would've done the DIY, too...although I must admit that the precision of this thing is great, and having the tension clips on the legs, instead of screwdowns, is great; and being able to tighten the head's swivel completely is great...so I might have bought anyway. No regrets, but thanks. Anyone want to buy a well-loved Tiltall?

Tim

Tim