Do You Use A Camera Stand?

tmenyc

With help from the photographers here, I set myself up a year or so ago with a light tent to work with my tripod, tungsten lights and DSLR. Other than the fact that the tent I bought was too small for comfort, it's worked pretty well for single pens.

However, shooting the first part of a friend's collection recently, in trays of pens, proved problematic -- the trays didn't fit in the tent, so I aimed the lights to pass most of the glare past the pens; that was OK. What was not OK was that I couldn't get the camera to shoot straight down, so had to tilt the trays up. The angle was never quite right, so there's some distortion in the pictures. In the end, it worked out all right, and will be better when I've cropped the pictures. It's not a good solution, and we have a lot more to shoot this fall. It seems to me that a better solution is to get a bigger light tent, and get, mimic, or make a camera stand that can hold the camera straight down.

I have done some research, seen the DIY projects, found Camstand, and seen everything B&H has. I'd prefer that this not cost a fortune, but I'm prepared to spend some money on getting it right, if not perfect for every contingency.

What have you done?

Many thanks,

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmenyc

• pen2paper

• AllenG

• gammada

I just use a large sheet of white paper that I slope up in back, and natural light from a north facing window.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

I haven't got that option -- I don't have even or good light coming into my apartment workshop window. Also, shooting the trays was not even in my apartment, so I need to have control over lighting.

Tim

Tim

I have a pretty simple setup, but it's because I have a very nice tripod and I use natural light. I also use a piece of white board as a background. The tripod lets me rotate the post to a horizontal position so that I can extend it over my desktop as shown in the first photo. (Photo 2 is just a different view of the same setup.) The camera is then pointed straight down at the pen. Natural light comes from the window just out of view at the left side of the photo. My body blocks the light from falling directly on the pen, so it just gets the light that is reflected off of the walls, ceiling, etc. This means slow exposure times so the tripod is an absolute necessity.

Depending on the size of the subject, the tripod legs can be adjusted (or the lens can be switched to a different focal length) to fit the subject into the frame. For shooting a large group of pens it's better to put them on the floor and use the setup in photo 3. The pens can be placed directly on the floor or elevated as shown in the photo depending on how well they fit in the frame with the lens being used. I prefer not to use zoom lenses when shooting straight down, they don't always stay at the zoom setting I want.

Even if you don't have a tripod capable of doing what mine does in the first two photos, most tripods will work for the setup in photo 3.

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TD1EgDjjDYGk1D/8799460.0/800/p/Pen_Photo_Tripod_Setup_for_Desktop_Use_2.jpg

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TD1EgDjjDYGk1D/8799461.0/800/p/Pen_Photo_Tripod_Setup_for_Desktop_Use.jpg

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TD1EgDjjDYGk1D/8799462.0/800/p/Pen_Photo_Tripod_Setup_for_Floor_Use.jpg

Edited by sexauerw

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

not an expert

how big are the trays?

have seen a lampshade used as a tripod, and then 2-3 spot lights shining through the shades to give diffused even light avoiding glare/shadow issue.

mentioning this as a lampshade, or similar set up will cost less than a tripod.

Recently asked about this same issue as I have 9 x 12" trays of small, not flat, objects to photograph, glare/depth/shadow are the problem. It was also suggested to me to mount on the wall, and bounce light with white side light to fill. I can mount objects but tipping to wrong angle, likely the same as your pen tray on angle issue, makes the correct fill lighting essential.

It may come down to buying a tripod, and using white posterboard or roll paper surrounding the sides to bounce light.

watching this thread for ideas too

Pen2, the trays are probably 8" high x 12" long, just too big to fit in my tent.

Bill, your 2d photo is precisely what I need to be able to do, and my tripod does not have that option, although it's possible I can find the head to enable the arm to swivel like that. Picture 3 is what I can do now, but since I don't have good or predictable natural light, it's just too complex to get everything pointed right at the edge of my table like that.

thanks to both of you.

Tim

Tim

Hello Tim,

Have you tried correcting perspective/ distortion in Photoshop? I'm not an expert photographing small subjects such as pens, but I do a lot of professional architectural/ interior shoots and the perspective correction and the warp tool can do wonders with mismatched horizontal/ vertical lines.

Also, I own an inexpensive Manfrotto tripod that allows you to place the camera between the tripod's legs with the lens facing downward (to the floor). Maybe it'll work for your trays since you can spread the legs quite far from the centre.

Hope this helps!

Gammada,

First, welcome to FPN. I see this was your first non-Chatter post.

The shooting between the tripod legs is interesting, and was brought up to me yesterday at the big B&H camera store here in NYC. Right now we're trying to see if my 30 year old Tiltall tripod can be retrofit to take a horizontal arm , as in Bill's picture above. However, this thing was not build for interchangeability and the head does not want to come off. The company and service are largely gone as well, so I'm leaning on B&H for help.

You're of course correct that one can fix the distortion in Photoshop, but part of my restoration practice is exhibiting my work for clients with great photography that is not retouched, except for cropping. It's a personal standard I'd rather not break, so want to solve the problem with the photography, not subsequent work. Splitting hairs? Guilty as charged.

Thanks!

Tim

Tim

which model please?

>>> ....inexpensive Manfrotto tripod that allows you to place the camera between the tripod's legs with the lens facing downward (to the floor). Maybe it'll work for your trays since you can spread the legs quite far from the centre.

Hope this helps!

Gammada,

First, welcome to FPN. I see this was your first non-Chatter post.

The shooting between the tripod legs is interesting, and was brought up to me yesterday at the big B&H camera store here in NYC. Right now we're trying to see if my 30 year old Tiltall tripod can be retrofit to take a horizontal arm , as in Bill's picture above. However, this thing was not build for interchangeability and the head does not want to come off. The company and service are largely gone as well, so I'm leaning on B&H for help.

You're of course correct that one can fix the distortion in Photoshop, but part of my restoration practice is exhibiting my work for clients with great photography that is not retouched, except for cropping. It's a personal standard I'd rather not break, so want to solve the problem with the photography, not subsequent work. Splitting hairs? Guilty as charged.

Thanks!

Tim

Thanks for the welcome Tim!

Don't want to sound stubborn just want to share my own experience. I totally get your point on having you photos SOOC, but retouching is not as bad as some people might be inclined to think, provided you don't abuse.

As I said before, I usually shoot architecture and interiors, but recently I've been shooting and doing video stuff with the Vitra Miniatures Collection -which consists of 1:6 scale models of famous furniture pieces. One of the features that I want/ need to show is the quality and texture of the materials, which are the same from those of the original model (leather, wood, aluminium, stainless steel, etc.) In order to achieve this (besides using the right equipment), I usually do a little post-production on the images with Nik Software to bring out detail, texture and do a little light shaping. It can really help show off your work in a much better way.

Again, just my .02 cents

which model please?

>>> ....inexpensive Manfrotto tripod that allows you to place the camera between the tripod's legs with the lens facing downward (to the floor). Maybe it'll work for your trays since you can spread the legs quite far from the centre.

Hope this helps!

Hi Pen2paper,

The Manfrotto is the 7322YB. It comes with a ball head that allows you to place the camera in many different angles. Also, there's a button on top of the legs that allows them to spread farther.

Just keep in mind it is not designed for heavy cameras (semi-pro to pro models).

Gammada,

I get it, for sure...we have different needs. Thanks.

Tim

Tim

so tripod position photo 2, but need to circumvent the lack of diffused light, right?

roll of white paper with inexpensive side lights?

our 9 x 12 inch photos that included correct depth, no odd shadows, were taken laying flat under tree, filtering sunny light, and with very little correction were published. Not easy to do in a big city, however.

a tripod that tips camera face/lens down may be in my future, if i can find the coupon the fellow in the video noted.

Edited by pen2paper

P2P -- right. I have the lights and a light tent, too. So my plan would be to stick the camera right down into the top of the tent, pointing straight down. Or, not using the tent, diffusing the light, and shooting straight down to a table with a matte white cover. The challenge remains getting the camera pointing straight down.

Tim

Tim

It's exactly the set up I'm seeking too.

I did look at the Manfrotto 7322YB online, trying to see the camera lens face down, Under the Legs, set up, looked for a video. Video's show the arm extended out, cam down set up, like the photo above.

What I'm envisioning is like the camera mount we used (a zillion years ago) to make copy negatives, Camera above, facing down, with wide open space below.

If there was a white fabric on wire frame lampshade wide enough, and rectangle, (to take the place of the too small light tent), placing the camera lens down, with lights aimed to center, would be Perfect.

Wonder if there might be an old copy neg stand lingering in a dusty photog supply shop?

It's exactly the set up I'm seeking too.

I did look at the Manfrotto 7322YB online, trying to see the camera lens face down, Under the Legs, set up, looked for a video. Video's show the arm extended out, cam down set up, like the photo above.

What I'm envisioning is like the camera mount we used (a zillion years ago) to make copy negatives, Camera above, facing down, with wide open space below.

If there was a white fabric on wire frame lampshade wide enough, and rectangle, (to take the place of the too small light tent), placing the camera lens down, with lights aimed to center, would be Perfect.

Wonder if there might be an old copy neg stand lingering in a dusty photog supply shop?

I use a Gitzo Explorer model tripod. The "neck" is on a swivel so I can have the camera pointing straight down two feet away from the tripod. There is also a hook on the end of the neck for hanging counterweights to keep things balanced.

http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/2747/product_image/thm/t300_d735c27db40dd29de2f407a53a30db7a.jpg?1408645158

Edited by AllenG

yes, that's it all right. The trouble is that I'm cheap, and always try to work out a solution with what I have, first. Running out of options, though, since I'm pretty sure my tripod won't take one of the arms. Allen, do you like your Gitzo?

Tim

Tim