Is Iroshizuku Ink Worth The Price?

Kuhataparunks

I love the ink but it is a little problematic with some fine and extra fine nibs (Pilot) at least the samples I have used. However, that said I so love the Ina-Ho. I have recently started writing with a medium nib and it does seem show its best stuff with said nib. Anyone else had a problem with the Iroshizuku and Asian fine and extra fine nibs?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuhataparunks

• Lyander0012

• Algester

• AllenG

I think Jet Pens may have the best prices on Iroshizuku in the US. $28 a bottle.

Most everyone has it for 28.00. If you check amazon, you can get it around 22.00 and sometimes cheaper.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

"Close enough" brands are often headaches in a specialty nib such as IB, O3B and so on. My preference is for a floaty firehose, which these inks help me achieve.

Some of you write with what feels like an insulin needle loaded with sand and love it, whereas I'd go nuts trying to increase the flow. Good thing we have options for differing tastes! :thumbup:

+1 says it all......

This is a surprise, I found a bottle of new Asa-Gao for $19.95 with free shipping! It'll be in the mail next week, woohoo!

This is a surprise, I found a bottle of new Asa-Gao for $19.95 with free shipping! It'll be in the mail next week, woohoo!

good find really that should be how much they are fairly priced at I'm not sure what Pilot USA is actually thinking rigging the price to "exclusive-ness" and this is from my trip to Japan no less... but the CdA inks are a tee bit expensive there... so I stick with the big asian 3

Edited by Algester

"Close enough" brands are often headaches in a specialty nib such as IB, O3B and so on. My preference is for a floaty firehose, which these inks help me achieve.

Some of you write with what feels like an insulin needle loaded with sand and love it, whereas I'd go nuts trying to increase the flow. Good thing we have options for differing tastes! :thumbup:

Life is short to use cheap inks ;)

Cheap and inexpensive are not necessarily equivalent, and to suggest that "close enough" brands are "often headaches" is a little disingenuous. There is no shortage of well-behaved inks in many colors, at many price points.

I don't mind buying "expensive" inks, and have 4 bottles of GvFC, 2 bottles of CdA, 4 bottles of Iro, etc... Using Asa Gao as an example (and I do love the color), I have no problem recognizing that Visconti blue is very close in color, also very well behaved, and substantially less expensive. Tsuki-You and Shin-Kai are much less inspiring (to me), and I wouldn't buy them again at $28-30.

The OP asked if Iro is "worth it". At the end of the day, only the OP can make that judgement as it applies to him (or her). We can share our opinions and experiences, but it is disappointing to see that devolving that into some sort of judgmental debate about other's opinions of nibs and inks.

Can anyone tell me the cheapest way to buy these inks for people in the UK please? I've seen the sellers on Amazon but am wary of getting hit by import tax/the Post Office's £8 "admin charge" for items that you have to pay the tax on.

UK-based pen fan. I love beautiful ink bottles, sealing wax, scented inks, and sending mail art. Also, thanks to a wonderful custom-ground nib by forum member Bardiir, I'm currently attempting calligraphy after years of not being able to do so due to having an odd pen-grip :D

Hi Floreat,

Cheapest way is that amazon/ebay import from Japan. As long as you buy just one at a time and u don't spend over £20 (inc postage) you won't pay any import charges or admin fees.

It's worth it :)

Can anyone tell me the cheapest way to buy these inks for people in the UK please? I've seen the sellers on Amazon but am wary of getting hit by import tax/the Post Office's £8 "admin charge" for items that you have to pay the tax on.

The concept of worth it is subject to each person's perception of value.

The Iroshizuku line of inks are my family's favorites, and we stocked up before we left Japan. They are reliable, easy to clean, work from just about every nib, and load into vintage and modern pens. Unfortunately, you do have to pay the price.

We did recently by a bottle of Akkerman's, and the price was the same here in the US. Funny how the dealer marketed it "like Iroshizuku." Even in the price!

Buzz

We did recently by a bottle of Akkerman's, and the price was the same here in the US. Funny how the dealer marketed it "like Iroshizuku." Even in the price!

Buzz

Really? I couldn't imagine two inks more different to one another. Who marketed it like that?

I'll be honest - I bought it for the bottle and because it was expensive. Is it worth it? It must be if I was willing to spend that much money on it.

Will I buy it again? Yes, but only if I lose the bottle (which when I empty it, I'll re-fill with Noodler's)

Staples has some Iroshizuku. From time to time, I've seen asa-gao at $21 -- on the Web site today, it's $24.39, and you can usually get that with free shipping and you may even be able to find a coupon.

+1 for Kona-Peki and I I also Ama-Iro (grey).

I can't afford many of these inks, but I too agree that they are all very well behaved with excellent flow characteristics in any pen that I have used them in.

It's a subjective answer I suppose. Do you need these high priced inks? No, but trying one for yourself to experience what those of who who have used them are talking about may be worth it to you.

I am also a big fan of Sailor inks for much the same reasons that I like Iroshizuku inks

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

Cheapest way , little by little over time or bulk in plastic from Engeika. Engeika will sell it in plastic bottles and if you buy enough it gets real cheap. But honestly, all in all it isn't the most expensive premium ink.

Best

Well, it's very pretty and ink does tend to last a while (at least for me). I'd say go for a nice color with a lot of sheen, such as Kon-Peki or Yama-Budo (if you have wet pens, that is). Iroshizuku ink is well behaved.

Well when you look at my ink coloection an relize my 7 Sailor inks were between 18 and 20.00 each and the pikot are in the 22.00 range off amazon, it is not that big a difference.

Can I ask where you buy your Sailor inks?

+1 for Kona-Peki and I I also Ama-Iro (grey).

I can't afford many of these inks, but I too agree that they are all very well behaved with excellent flow characteristics in any pen that I have used them in.

It's a subjective answer I suppose. Do you need these high priced inks? No, but trying one for yourself to experience what those of who who have used them are talking about may be worth it to you.

I am also a big fan of Sailor inks for much the same reasons that I like Iroshizuku inks

Ama-iro is a grey? I thought it was a light blue.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Yama-budo on the way, will try Kon-Peki next. I've been enjoying the daylights out of Sailor Souten and a sampler of Bleu Pervenche, it'll be interesting to compare the three.

I keep telling myself that this isn't a sickness and that I Can Quit Anytime I Want To.

Best,

bob

PS - First post