About To Buy My First Pen...

mtbradley

Thanks for all the advice so far! The video was certainly helpful. I've considered a cheaper first pen, and may go that way yet. But I also want a great experience. And the price range for the pen I linked to above is in the medium range for me.

The comments that have given me the most pause are about size. I'm going to keep looking and thinking through this. Thanks again and by all means continue to comment if there is anything else I need to consider. Thanks!

Matt

A less expensive pen doesn't mean you'll have a bad writing experience. The Lamy Safari is a great pen or, if you don't like its triangle grip and plastic body, the Lamy Studio is metal, looks more like a traditional fountain pen and uses the same nibs as the Safari. It costs more, but still less than half the cost of the Sapporo. Alternatively the TWSBI 580 and TWSBI Mini are both very good pens as well, and both cost much less than the Sapporo. The TWSBI 580 is also quite a large pen, if you're concerned about the small size of the Sapporo.

There's always a slight risk that you'll get a dud, but that's a risk you get with any pen and if you're buying from Nibs.com, they'll check the nib for you before shipping it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mtbradley

• Sailor Kenshin

• prf5

• LamyOne

First, thanks again for so much help. I'll add how much I appreciate the fact that you all can give completely contradictory advice and be so civil about it. And that's enough about that.

So here's what I did. I decided the Sapporo was smaller than I wanted. I went with the Sailor Pro Gear Black with Rhodium in a M/F from nibs.com. A little more than the Sapporo, but still within my budget. I added some Sailor ink to the order as well, just to keep things simple.

However, I also ordered the Pilot Metropolitan (gouletpens.com) with a CON-50 converter and a bottled of J. Herbin ink.

If I end up not liking the Sailor for some reason (or fountain pens in general), you'll see me sheepishly trying to recoup some portion of that mistake in the not-too-distant future and several of you can say "I told you so." It was a risk I decided to take. The "start with something less expensive" crowd won me over completely with respect to my head. But my irrational heart won out in the end.

I liked a lot of the pens I looked at, but I have to admit, I could spend a small fortune on ink. Now on to researching ink and which ones dry the fastest...

Matt

Currently: Sailor Pro Gear Black/Rhodium M/F with Sailor Jentle Black; Sailor Pro Gear Yellow/Rhodium M/F with Diamine Sargasso Sea; Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky Demonstrator/Rhodium M with Sailor Jentle Blue; Sailor Pro Gear Apres Ski M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial VIII M with Diamine Asa Blue; Lamy AL-star Ocean Blue M with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue; Lamy Safari Red F with Sheaffer Skrip Red for grading papers; Lamy Safari Neon Yellow F with Diamine Kelly Green; Esterbrook J Blue 9668 with Noodlers Ottoman Azure; Esterbrook J Red 9668 with Diamine Red Dragon; Esterbrook J Copper 2668 with Diamine Ancient Copper; Esterbrook J Gray 9668 with Robert Oster Stormy Seas; TWSBI Vac700R M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Noodler's Ahab Clear Demonstrator M with Diamine Midnight; Kaweco Skyline Sport M with Diamine Grey; Faber-Castell Goldfaber 1221 HB and Tombow Mono HB

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." Francis Bacon, Of Studies

I started with a $150 pen that was properly tuned and it has been all good from there. You're doing the right thing. Congrats on both of your choices, and we look forward to seeing you around these parts frequently.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I have a Sailor Pro Gear in rhodium with a medium nib. It is a great pen. I hope that you enjoy yours. There is pretty much no way to go wrong with a Metropolitan. They are great pens for the money. Welcome to the world of fountain pens.

First, thanks again for so much help. I'll add how much I appreciate the fact that you all can give completely contradictory advice and be so civil about it. And that's enough about that.

So here's what I did. I decided the Sapporo was smaller than I wanted. I went with the Sailor Pro Gear Black with Rhodium in a M/F from nibs.com. A little more than the Sapporo, but still within my budget. I added some Sailor ink to the order as well, just to keep things simple.

However, I also ordered the Pilot Metropolitan (gouletpens.com) with a CON-50 converter and a bottled of J. Herbin ink.

If I end up not liking the Sailor for some reason (or fountain pens in general), you'll see me sheepishly trying to recoup some portion of that mistake in the not-too-distant future and several of you can say "I told you so." It was a risk I decided to take. The "start with something less expensive" crowd won me over completely with respect to my head. But my irrational heart won out in the end.

I liked a lot of the pens I looked at, but I have to admit, I could spend a small fortune on ink. Now on to researching ink and which ones dry the fastest...

Matt

Muahahaaaaa...

I got all my Sailors from the same place as you, and since we have similar writing styles....my PG is a Black Velvet with the same M-F nib. So, just....muahahaaaa. ;)

Don't get me started on inks.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

In my head having 2 different pens is a good idea.

The Metro would be the everyday knock about pen (shopping lists, etc), and the Sailor the one for your journal writing.

I do similar, my "good" pens don't leave the house.

I have a pool of low cost pens for knocking about and taking out of the house, where there is risk of loss.

Let us know how the pens are when you get them.

Now that you have the pens, and are looking for ink, the next is paper.

And there is a whole world of things about paper. "Junk" paper can just ruin your pen writing experience, and good paper will let the pen sing. And in between is what I call the affordable world. Right now, you lucked out. Go to Staples and get the Staples, single subject, wire bound notebook, that is made in BRAZIL. It was on sale a couple weeks ago for 17 cents each, in the 'back to school sale.' The Brazil paper is a decent starter paper.

After that you can move upscale to red and black, then Rhodia and Clairfontaine, which are nice paper, especially if you like a smooth feel when you write.

N-Joy the journey

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Since you have the money for it, I think you made a good final choice. My first thought reading your post was, uh-oh, you might find the Sapporo a bit short. My second thought was why not get a Metropolitan? Even just for giggles, it's good for trying out day-to-day real life pen use and then it's useful for picking up when you don't want to take the really good one out. That said, I don't know many that have found the Metros bad writers. I got one not being particularly crazy about it, but it's proven a really great little pen, one I happily grab more and more when I'm going somewhere "dangerous" pen-wise.

SK - you crack me up.

Thanks for the paper recommendations ac12!

Matt

Currently: Sailor Pro Gear Black/Rhodium M/F with Sailor Jentle Black; Sailor Pro Gear Yellow/Rhodium M/F with Diamine Sargasso Sea; Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky Demonstrator/Rhodium M with Sailor Jentle Blue; Sailor Pro Gear Apres Ski M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial VIII M with Diamine Asa Blue; Lamy AL-star Ocean Blue M with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue; Lamy Safari Red F with Sheaffer Skrip Red for grading papers; Lamy Safari Neon Yellow F with Diamine Kelly Green; Esterbrook J Blue 9668 with Noodlers Ottoman Azure; Esterbrook J Red 9668 with Diamine Red Dragon; Esterbrook J Copper 2668 with Diamine Ancient Copper; Esterbrook J Gray 9668 with Robert Oster Stormy Seas; TWSBI Vac700R M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Noodler's Ahab Clear Demonstrator M with Diamine Midnight; Kaweco Skyline Sport M with Diamine Grey; Faber-Castell Goldfaber 1221 HB and Tombow Mono HB

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." Francis Bacon, Of Studies

I hope you enjoy your pens; in my opinion both of the two are spectacular pens, and I'm a huge fan of Sailor pens. As for ink, one ink I usually recommend to others is Salix (a blue ink) from a company called Rohrer and Klingner. It is waterproof, dries fairly quickly, and has some interesting properties (and is safe for fountain pens). However, it does have particulate so you may want to be a little thorough with the cleaning. It came to mind because my girlfriend is a lefty and she finds that ink very lefty friendly.

As far as paper goes, another thing to look for is Japanese paper; even the cheap dollar store japanese paper is quite good for fountain pens usually. It may be a little difficult to acquire though, depending on where you live.

Matt

Private Reserve has some ink specifically marketed as fast-dry

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

You are going to really like the Pilot Pro Gear. I have a 2012 limited edition from Itoya in Japan, and it's an amazing pen to enjoy. You'll want your Metropolitan for your carry pen, but you'll secretly want to go home and use your Pro Gear!

Another affordable source of paper, in addition to ac12's recommendation, is the Black N Red line of notebooks. They offer many different styles and bindings. so you can enjoy some good paper.

Fortunately, here at FPN, there's a whole section on Inky Thoughts. You are going to find it's a whole separate area that is seeking your attention and your wallet.

Buzz

Here are some further pieces of advice: You may have thought of this already, but read the manufacturers' and retailers' warranties carefully, before you fill the pens with ink. Keep the packaging in tact and don't let it distract you. Open and close each pen a few times. Play with it with the cap on to get a sense of weight, girth, and balance. Then, give it a thorough trial by dipping the nib and filling a page. Try it out on at least two different qualities of paper. Unless you are looking for the perfect match between pen, nib, ink, and paper, you are likely to be writing on media that ranges from high quality stationery to cheap pads and copy paper.

• 2 weeks later...

I was seriously considering which fountain pen would be my first too!

I have the same fear that Kuhataparunks expressed:

"But it's totally understandable if you want to go straight into the higher-end, luxury writing by spending more on a pen.
It's actually more wise to do that so money isn't wasted in the cheaper ones that will only be used a few times then be forgotten.

But my honest opinion, I'm getting into the higher-end pens, and I find it was a little bit if a waste to have gotten so many cheap pens because I'll probably not use them again now that I have much better pens— there's a notable difference between the cheaper and more expensive pens. It's likely just a placebo effect though, it cost more, so it MUST be better! Best of luck, enjoy that sailor pen!"

What if a cheap pen puts me off from using fountain pens because it skips, it's not smooth, etc.? And wouldn't it be a bigger incentive to use a fountain pen that I really, really enjoy (smooth, feels great due to weight and size that I like)? And wouldn't it be a better investment to get one good pen than a couple of cheaper ones?

What if a cheap pen puts me off from using fountain pens because it skips, it's not smooth, etc.? And wouldn't it be a bigger incentive to use a fountain pen that I really, really enjoy (smooth, feels great due to weight and size that I like)? And wouldn't it be a better investment to get one good pen than a couple of cheaper ones?

Skipping and rough nibs is not a phenomenon excusive to cheaper pens, it's just as likely to happen with expensive pens.

Expense does not equal enjoyment either. Despite owning more expensive pens (and two with 14K nibs), my fav pen of the moment is the humble Lamy Al-Star with a 1,1 italic nib.

Regardless of price, If you're lucky enough to live near to a good Fountain Pen shop, try a range of pens before you buy. Otherwise buy from a internet retailer with good customer service and returns policy.

Edited by Ste_S

Man, trust FPN to over-complicate something as simple as buying and using a pen. Millions of people used to write with fountain pens, so it isnt as if this is some kind of arcane art that only a select few are able to master, and where you need to test the waters to make sure a fountain pen is for you.

OP - life is too short to buy something that you do not connect with emotionally, so good on ya for getting the Pro Gear. It is a very nice pen and you will enjoy it.

Ink - splurge. I find Iroshizuku and Diamine to make the best-behaved inks. Not a big fan of Private Reserve - a lot of their inks take ages to dry and are very prone to feathering even on high-quality paper. YMMV. Goulet Pens have a nice monthly sample pack for $12/month. Good way to experiment.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Thanks for your thoughts, all.

I received my Sailor and I love it! A member was also kind enough to send me a dozen sheets of different quality and brand papers that I've been using to try out different inks. The Pilot Metro is a decent pen, but I also ended up ordering a Lamy Safari and I have to say, I like the Lamy better. In fact, I just ordered another Safari earlier this week. And I'm thinking about the Yellow Sailor Pro Gear as a next purchase. I spend a lot of time in business and semi-formal dress, so I've carried my Sailor with me constantly since I received it.

As for inks, I've gone through a couple of dozen samples trying to find a best black, blue, and red. For black, I've got a bottle of Jentle that will be my go to for awhile. I couldn't find anything darker than Diamine's Onyx Black, which I loved, but it is very wet in my Sailor and bleeds through everything but the expensive paper - it also put down a wider line than I wanted. Also enjoyed Aurora Black which will probably be my next black.

I couldn't settle on a blue, since there's such a wide range that works for everyday use. So I chose Diamine Midnight and Sargasso Sea and Noodler's Ottoman Azure. No regrets on any so far. Used Sargasso Sea for a week or so and when it ran out, switched to the Ottoman Azure.

Just got done testing some reds. I love Diamine Red Dragon and it's a no brainer for me. But I do a lot of grading and would rather have something brighter. I've settled on Sheaffer Red which is just a perfect primary red.

So that's how the journey's going so far. Of all the papers I've tried, I've given up on my Moleskine journal. Kokuyo Campus is probably my favorite in terms of being a happy medium between slick expensive paper with slow dry times and cheap paper that is rougher and bleeds and feathers so badly. It works great for my pens and inks and the feel of writing on it. I have no idea where to get it, but I haven't even looked yet.

Thumbs up to nibs.com and gouletpens.com - can't recommend them more highly. As for those trying to decide whether to start with a cheaper pen, don't worry about a bad experience. Both the Lamy and the Pilot Metro were plenty good to keep me interested. If they were all I had I'd still be neck deep at this point. As has been said, I'm sure every level of pen is capable of disappointing and having the occasional bad egg. But if you understand that, get whatever your budget allows - or if you have more self-control than I do, go less expensive first and then work up. As much as I love my Sailor PG, I still need and want a few pens I don't mind losing or destroying - pens I can use Bay State Blue in, for instance. :D

So it's safe to say I'm hooked. I love the aesthetics, the feel, the connection to the past, and the freedom of choosing particular colors to write with. Thanks for all the help (and the help I'm sure to need and find going forward)!

Matt

Edited by mtbradley

Congrats. My best pen (by far) is the Sailor Pro Gear as well. My nib is a little finer than I want it to be but I love the pen (hit me up if you decide to flip yours heh).

Did you get the I or the II (has the anchor on the clip). I have the first version.

Enjoy. You got a few rocking pens now. woot.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. I would have done it the same way as you probably. A couple cheap pens are nice to have around for sure, I recently got a Pilot Metropolitan to keep at my desk and I'm just waiting for the first person at work to show a slight interest in fountain pens so I can give it away to them and get them started. But, I know me and I know that I like nice things...when you know that and can afford it I don't see any reason not to start yourself off with a nice pen that you really like. Chances are you were going to get there anyway, might as well start there.