Faber-Castell Basic Comparison To Others?

adin

I'm very tempted to purchase a Faber-Castell Basic, but I'm not sure how it compares to other fountain pens that I have (TWSBI Mini [F], Lamy Safari/Vista [F/EF], Sheaffer 440 [F])

Would anyone with an FC care to compare it to other pens that they have?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ink-syringe

• Brian Anderson

• KBeezie

• shawndp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My FC Basic has been my every day workhorse pen for 3 years now, still looks at good as new. Wonderful pen... I like it better than my TWSBI or my Safari.

FC makes some of the most... smoothest nibs out there and works out of the box and... is very unique I have an Ambition in coconut wood (I'm not letting the missing section a con) I seldom use it in fear of loosing it because we dont have FC FPs in my location... <_< so I normally only use what I can easily find in the locally sadly same goes to my Pilot

FC makes some of the most... smoothest nibs out there and works out of the box and...

QFT.

It is a very, very good pen. IMO, this should be the default recommendation for people looking for a high-quality, reliable, will-work-without-nib-tweaking-or-cracking pen in the $50 or under range.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

QFT.

It is a very, very good pen. IMO, this should be the default recommendation for people looking for a high-quality, reliable, will-work-without-nib-tweaking-or-cracking pen in the $50 or under range.

I usually buy pens in the <$50 range, but I've never heard of FC before. So I was pretty shocked when I recently discovered this brand and how great everyone says it is.

Great nib. Terrible balance. For the steel version anyway. Its incredibly back heavy.

I'm not sure about the other versions.

I'm happy to read good things about FC. I think I may be getting one for my birthday... in about 3 hours.

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

Great nib. Terrible balance. For the steel version anyway. Its incredibly back heavy.

I'm not sure about the other versions.

How does the nib size compare to other pens? I'm between an F or EF (I really like the TWSBI F).

I usually buy pens in the <$50 range, but I've never heard of FC before. So I was pretty shocked when I recently discovered this brand and how great everyone says it is.

They dont have TWSBI's unique design or forum participation. They arent a small owner-run company like Franklin-Christoph. They arent as cheap as Pilot Metropolitans. They dont have that flex/bright designs thing going on that Noodler's pens do.

All they have to offer is *exquisite* writing performance, solid and (IMO) very sharp designs and superb reliability :)

Balance & ergonomics are obviously going to vary by person. My only gripe is that i wish the Ambition series were a little thicker. The Looms and Basics, however, sit in the hand very well, as do the Ondoro. Their e-motion pens and in my hand, they appear quite heavy and not very ergonomic; however, when i write with them, they are really well balanced.

From memory, a FC F should be close enough to a TWSBI F. I dont have any EFs, so cannot comment.

Edited by de_pen_dent

The nib size is comparable to Schmidt & Bock nibs – TWSBI mini for example.

For me FC Basic is a bit heavy pen and FC Loom felt a bit better balanced in my hand.

If you prefer lighter pens but want to try a FC i'd suggest Ondoro. The white model is discontinued and i've seen it sold even for 40 GBP.

Non notisi signi.

Have the silver/grey basic in M

Line width is around TWSBI's or Pelikan's m-nibs. Writes pretty well.

The grey plastic section stains very easily, so don't dip it into ink, instead syringe fill or dip the converter into the ink. Not all converters fit, but the faber-castell is ok and cheap (I thing I paid less than 3,- euros).

The pen weights quite a bit and is back-heavy, no problem for me but keep that in mind.

I'm pretty happy with it and would buy it again (but this time with a dark coloured section...)

What a strange world we live in, where people communicate by text more than ever before, yet the art of proper handwriting is seen as a thing from the past.

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

I remember FC from the 80's and when I found the Basic I jumped on it - it was M, it was carbon-fiber, it writes like a dream. That nib is just simply amazing - smooth, with the right amount of wetness. I have a TWSBI 540 and a couple of Lamy's (Vista / Al Sport / and a Safari in the mail). The unposted Basic is a great writer - nice weight, nice balance, no real hand fatigue.There are days when I will take it over my Pelikan 205. For the price you can't go wrong and the pen's only shortcoming lies in the quirky convertor situation (get the original FC to avoid this issue) and some reports of cracking (none on my unit).

Edit -> if you want pics or have any specific questions feel free to ask

Edited by shawndp

Shame they don't offer the nib range

They dont have TWSBI's unique design or forum participation. They arent a small owner-run company like Franklin-Christoph. They arent as cheap as Pilot Metropolitans. They dont have that flex/bright designs thing going on that Noodler's pens do.

All they have to offer is *exquisite* writing performance, solid and (IMO) very sharp designs and superb reliability :)

Or the Lamy Z50 nib range. I'd definately buy a Faber Castell if they offered their pens with something that gives a bit of line variation.

How does the nib size compare to other pens? I'm between an F or EF (I really like the TWSBI F).

I've only had a medium. It wasn't rediculously broad. So I get the impression it roughly sticks to the western average. Extrapolating, if the F was a bit narrower than the M, I'd say that it'd be a bit wider than the TWSBI F.

My TWSBI F is about a Pelikan or Lamy EF if that helps.

Edited by superglueshoe

I have the LOOM. It is a beast. Smooth writer and a totally reliable pen. I am used to Japanese pens so find my M nib way too broad but it lays down a smooth wet line, never skips, never pukes up ink. An absolutely rock solid pen. Impressive nib. (incidentally, my TWSBI Diamond 580 has the worst nib out of the box of any pen i have ever purchased in my life, shockingly bad nib on an otherwise impressive pen)

I am a pretty big Lamy fan, and love my Pilot Knight (great bang for buck pen) but if i was going to rec a cheap pen for someone tipping their toe in the water the F-C would be very hight on my list. Cheaper fountain pens can be a roll of the dice (too wet, too dry, bad converter, scratchy nib, absurd ideas about what constitutes M, F, or B, frailty, sketchy feed, defects, poor QC or generally high maintanence) but the F-C stuff seams really solid. My only complaint about the LOOM is that it is really tough to hang on to. I have to scuff it up some somehow. The basic might have been better considering it is the same nib and perhaps a form factor better suited to hanging on to the thing. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Faber-Castell pen and have been admiring the e-motion from a far as of late.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I am a pretty big Lamy fan, and love my Pilot Knight (great bang for buck pen) but if i was going to rec a cheap pen for someone tipping their toe in the water the F-C would be very hight on my list. Cheaper fountain pens can be a roll of the dice (too wet, too dry, bad converter, scratchy nib, absurd ideas about what constitutes M, F, or B, frailty, sketchy feed, defects, poor QC or generally high maintanence) but the F-C stuff seams really solid.

My only complaint about the LOOM is that it is really tough to hang on to. I have to scuff it up some somehow. The basic might have been better considering it is the same nib and perhaps a form factor better suited to hanging on to the thing.

Agreed on both points. It always amazes me that we recommend Ahabs and TWSBIs to beginners - for a first timer, getting a nib that doesnt work can be a real put-off. And not everyone wants to spend a lot of time and effort futzing around with a $20-50 pen - that level of lunacy obsession interest only comes later (along with Gold status on FPN).

And yeah, that Loom section is indeed quite slippery. I had forgotten about that. The Basic is easier to hold - and hey, it comes in carbon fiber (as a road cyclist, I get slightly turned on by carbon fiber in all shapes and forms)

I will try micormesh or something on my LOOM. If my hand is too dry (or alternately too sweaty), I have a tough time with it but that really is the only complaint I have about this pen.

I went on a Faber-Casell tryout binge and reported it in another section of this forum. Tried the Basic again today on my last stop of a 7 store whirlwind week. The Faber-Castell was by far the most consistent brand and the Basic is a heck of a pen. I honestly believe this pen to be the best value going and perhaps even the best affordable pen to start out on. Consistency should matter, especially in the beginning. The cheaper Faber-Castell Pens are outstanding in every way. I actually do like the Basic better than the Loom. It has a better grip and I like that it is a tad longer. I would happily just use that pen unposted. Same fantastic nib. A high quality item and just an exceptional pen for what? $38? They are $50 here and well worth it.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I can fully understand why their pens aren't that popular. Most of them suffer from what I consider really bad ergonomics. Slippery sections (Loom), ridiculously small sections (Ambition), absurd back heaviness (Basic), and so on. In general, their pens are rather heavy as well.

and dont forget wetness damn I don't what they did but their pens are WET, WET WET WET.... may not for everyone... but damn it's a solid performer plus man when can you get wood pens at this price in the wild without having to look for pen turners :X which makes me beg I WANT A GvFC classic anello in ebony :X yeah balance is very bad on some of their pens I would say I know I own an ambition in coconut wood and is very top heavy when posted not sure on the onodoro but that's also a good looking hexagonal subby bodied pen was it hexagonal?

Edited by Algester