• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• OcalaFlGuy

• amberleadavis

• NobleDel

Incoming! I got these today. There are also three desk pens that I didn't shoot. Overall, it looks like a nice group. Some of them are pretty grungy; more than I have had so far. I'm wondering if that dark burgundy will turn out to be red. So, a pink nurse's pen, a few J's, a skunk LJ (and very nice intact lettering), and the blue icicle at the end. I have some clean-up, and the jewels on the blue one are tight, but not seated properly. No rust or real damage, except for the silver pencil, which has "Darla" scrawled into the barrel.

post-114088-0-75373900-1410989764_thumb.jpg

post-114088-0-68028900-1410989789_thumb.jpg

NobleDel,

Twist fill. I like that you have refrained from polishing the @*#! out of that silver trim. Gives the whole pen a nice, smoky look.

Nice nib.

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

I have been very interested looking through this thread because the other day I saw a Copper Icicle Estie. I don't have a clue how much it might be worth though. It had it's original box and what looked like an EF steel nib. Any thoughts on how much I should pay?

Edited by Chrissy

I have been very interested looking through this thread because the other day I saw a Copper Icicle Estie. I don't have a clue how much it might be worth though. It had it's original box and what looked like an EF steel nib. Any thoughts on how much I should pay?

The first Esterbrook I got was a copper icicle. It's a beautiful pen...probably my favorite of all that I have. I can tell you that I paid $30 for mine, with a 9668 nib, but the bottom jewel was missing. Bruce was kind enough to sell me one (bottom jewel).

Edited by gweimer1

$35-45 should get a mint 'Cicle, The high end with a also new 9 series nib.

I just have Blue and Red 'Cicles, I traded my stickered Copper 'Cicle to Antonios for my Red one. The stickers gave me the C-Worder heebie jebbies ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Hi guys, tell me my purchase was worth it! A "blue with black pinstripes" (as described by seller) reconditioned Esterbrook for US$40? It looked pretty...

http://i62.tinypic.com/rw30cx.jpg

Edit: Seller updated me saying it has a 9128 nib.

Edited by cellardoor04

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Nice score!! I'm jealous of the 9128... I've got a soft spot (probably in my head) for flexie nibs. I've been trying to find a 9128 for a reasonable price for some time now without success. I found a 2048 a while ago, worn down to a about a medium point; I managed to reshape it back to a fine. It's my favorite nib at this time. It took the place of the 9550 that was in the pen prior to the 2048.

You got a deal, well worth it, especially if you like flexies! Good one!

Cellardoor, your nib alone new is a $25-30 nib. That is also a Blue Icicle pen.

You did just fine.

I got exactly the same combo at least 3 years ago from Fleabayer Ros7261 before Everyone Else glommed onto their offered pens. I paid $35 and thought I got a spanking good deal.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Phew, that's good to hear. The seller had listed it as a Buy It Now for much more, but I just took a shot and made an offer, which she accepted. I can't wait for it to get here! I do love my flexible nibs...Although I hear flexibility varies from nib to nib.

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

$35-45 should get a mint 'Cicle, The high end with a also new 9 series nib.

I just have Blue and Red 'Cicles, I traded my stickered Copper 'Cicle to Antonios for my Red one. The stickers gave me the C-Worder heebie jebbies ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thank you for your help. It's boxed in it's original box, is perfect and working, has most of it's original imprint on the barrel, and it cost me $20. ;)

I don't know for certain it's a copper icicle, but it's copper coloured and has lines down the barrel and cap that match up exactly. Sorry but the only camera I have here is my big one, but I will post a pic when I get home. Oh no! I mentioned the H word. :crybaby:

Edited by Chrissy

NobleDel,

Twist fill. I like that you have refrained from polishing the @*#! out of that silver trim. Gives the whole pen a nice, smoky look.

Nice nib.

Bob

Thanks for recognizing the twist filler. Funny story behind that pen. I was shopping for unusual Esterbrook nibs on ebay about a year ago. I noticed the 8xxx series nib, but the photo was so poor that I didn't notice the pen it was mounted in was a twist filler. Apparently not too many others noticed it either. I won the auction for a song. Only issue is that it has a broken clip.

Edited by NobleDel

I ought to make this an international show ;-)

A few of the pens on the black background are works in progress. Some might be interested in the two full size J's (3rd & 4th from left bottom row) which are apple green and a NOS biege.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been mopping up the envious drooling... :puddle:

Top picture, tenthmost from the left, is the closest I've seen to a teal Estie. I didn't even know they came in that color, I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

All right, here's the ones currently roosting here:

15262952386_d0de779b10_c.jpg

I really need more... boy, if those aren't famous last words. Definitely need a black one at a minimum. And a red one. And a green one. And a blue one. And a root beer one. And... yeah. Famous last words.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

I purchased a 9128 nib before I even bought an Estie. I don't regret having overpayed for it slightly. Because it now resides within a nice Silver Pearl SJ I snatched up for $12 and is flexerific! I also love the fact that the nib units come out. Cleaning and changing ink colors is so much easier now, and that's really something for a lever-filler.

I am now a convert to the Shrine of Esterbrook.

Thank you for your help. It's boxed in it's original box, is perfect and working, has most of it's original imprint on the barrel, and it cost me $20. ;)

Sorry but the only camera I have here is my big one, but I will post a pic when I get home. Oh no! I mentioned the H word. :crybaby:

You only have your big camera? That's the best you got?

Heck, snatch the top sheet off the bed, get the room ironing board and make yourself a quickie light box.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I need to get a picture up, but thought I'd drop a short review of my newly acquired Dollar Pen. This was my drive-by bid last week. I came across the listing with 7 minutes left and no bids. I picked up the pen, shipped, for $21.50. The only thing this pen really needed was a sac. It was shiny clean, other than that. I put the new sac on, and put a 9461 nib on. I love this pen! Simple, black/chrome, and I love the feel of the 9461.

• 1 month later...

Here's my family photo. :)

I originally wanted just one of each colour of J size, then that somehow expanded.

I'm not sure how - package deals, wrong sizes and models bought in ignorance, dropped water on a skunk and it multiplied...

I can tell you, I may not keep all of these, but I will end up with many more than just 6...

http://i62.tinypic.com/2vvp9ns.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/qrndab.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/1o4uoj.jpg