What Are Your Experiences With Nib Meisters?

zzbr76

Work done, price, quality, rapidity, accessibility?

Please tell about your experience in detail: what was good and what was wrong...

Edited by zzbr76

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zzbr76

• Blue_Moon

• WilsonCQB1911

• Strombomboli

Big fan of Mike Masuyama - very friendly, very accommodating, very conservative with the way he grinds your nib (minimal material removal), VERY clean work

Big fan of Mike Masuyama - very friendly, very accommodating, very conservative with the way he grinds your nib (minimal material removal), VERY clean work

Probably the best...

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

+1. And his service fee is very very reasonable.

John Mottishaw, located in Los Angeles is one of the premier nib-meisters. His work is very good and prices are fair. Only problem is that due to how popular his work is, he has a big backlog of work, so, you have to expect a long turnaround time for your work to be done.

www.nibs.com is his website.

John Mottishaw, located in Los Angeles is one of the premier nib-meisters. His work is very good and prices are fair. Only problem is that due to how popular his work is, he has a big backlog of work, so, you have to expect a long turnaround time for your work to be done.

www.nibs.com is his website.

He did work on a Danitrio Hyotan for me. He didn't adjust the ink flow properly and he melted, I think, or corroded with something the urushi on some portions, which was a little nasty. For 160$ I was disappointed. But that's just me. Everybody says fantastic things about him...

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Have had work done by Richard Binder, Pendleton Brown, and Mike Masuyama and they are all excellent. Mike just ground a stub for me at Chicago and Richard a CI at Columbus and both write beautifully

Please don't forget John Sorowka in England! Very friendly, very quick, very good work.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Mike Masuyama fixed a cracked nib for me, which is something not just anybody can do, and I was startled by how quickly he got the work done and returned to me.

John Sorowka of course

Francis Goossens Fountainbel in Belgium , i like his stubs and italics he made for me on a vintage MB pen

Please don't forget John Sorowka in England! Very friendly, very quick, very good work.

+1 Have had several nibs tuner by John, highly recomended.

Had one Vacumatic that had been work on by Richard Binder, also perfect.

Francis Goosens did a MB236 for me and produced a superb pen and nib with perfect flex and flow.

Cannot actually think of a nibman who has done a bad job

Edited by Beechwood

I often find myself in the minority on this one. I swear by Deb Kinney. In my, admittedly limited, experience I have found the nibs she's worked on to be better suited to me than the ones I have tried from Masuyama, Binder or Pendleton. But truthfully, I'm just talking about shades of the same color here, and all of them provide top-quality work.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

I watched Richard Binder adjust the nib on a Waterman 56 of mine, it did not write before he started and it writes perfectly now.

This ^

I had Mike grind down my 146 and reset the nib and feed on my 149 this past weekend at the DC show. Very inexpensive for the time and effort he put into my pens and he and his wife were a pleasure to talk to. He told me that his backlog has worked its way up from 6 weeks to 10 weeks especially with DC and then the SF pen shows. I'll probably be having Mike do all future work that I'm not able to do for all my pens now because of the experience I had. I only wish he would add the LI pen show to his schedule but that'll probably never happen since he's moved across the country.

Message me about nib work in NYC

Instagram | YouTube

I have had several nibs worked on by John Sorowka in the UK. Very good work, reasonably priced, nice to deal with.

I also have a Binder stub M400 nib that I picked up pre-owned in the UK; it's very good, but shipping and taxes mean that it I wont be buying any directly.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

+1 for Mottishaw. He did the near-impossible for me with a huge, historically significant gold dip pen, repairing a large crack so that it was invisible, and retipping without any observable impact on the gold alloy. The price was reasonable, and the time was less than he told me to expect (but far from instant). I would take another impossible job to him without any concern.

ron

Over the years I've had most of my nibs customized by Richard Binder and John Mottishaw. Absolutely spot-on perfect work, every time.

I've only used Mottishaw, and only when purchasing pens from him so I didn't have to wait any length of time. All the pens I've purchased from him came out excellent.

I've been wanting to try an M600 with a flex nib from Richard Binder for quite some time.

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor