149 - Service And Cleaning

Komitadjie

So, how long has it taken you guys on average to hear back from the service center? I am not particularly concerned, but I haven't even had a "hey, got your pen!" email from them or anything, and it's been a couple days now.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Komitadjie

• TLMG

• meiers

• WilsonCQB1911

In my experience they don't acknowledge receipt.

I would recommend you just try to forget about it for a month, then start getting expectant. Or after 2-3 weeks you could ring and ask if anyone knows any up to date info.

So, how long has it taken you guys on average to hear back from the service center? I am not particularly concerned, but I haven't even had a "hey, got your pen!" email from them or anything, and it's been a couple days now.

In my experience with the U.S. service center, I've had to proactively contact them in order to get status updates. For my free nib exchanges, they've always had the pen done and shipped back out on the fourth business day. When I needed an estimate, I received an e-mail estimate on the fourth business day and later received a paper estimate in the mail as well. I've never gotten past this point so I don't know the rest!! Haha.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

Happy to share the fun! I'm rather stoked myself, I absolutely love how smooth and wet that nib is, it shades like nothing else I have. Can't wait to put it into regular use!

The service centre in Canada communicated with me over the phone and via email to update me on the progress of the work they were doing. They were very good about answering questions promptly and courteously.

Edited by meiers

I'm somewhat surprised that I have not heard back with a quote on it, but I suppose it's quite likely they may be busy. I'll give it another week before I'm at all concerned. :)

You do know that they will REPLACE your ebonite feed with a newer plastic feed, yes?

If it was writing well after your misadventure, I wouldn't have worried about a couple of missing fins. If it really bothered me, I would have tried to source a replacement ebonite feed first, and you could use a solid or split ebonite feed, though the split would be probably more period correct for this pen..

You can always cancel the order, once they send you the estimate..... but that's just me.

Oh, and next time, try this: The feeder housing slots for this vintage pen typically are at 12:00 and 6:00 in relation to the nib face. If the pen had not been service before (nib/feed removed) typically the ebonite feed would have "formed" a bit over the years as it is pliable and can soften. So you would then have two options/orientations on how the feed was originally sitting in the feeder housing. Just rotate the nib/feed 180 degrees....one of the positions would have slid in much easier. This has been my experience.

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

Yes, I'm aware of that, Rick, but thanks for pointing it out. Wish they'd use a period-correct ebonite feed, but given my preference between broken ebonite, or intact plastic... Eh, I'll take the intact plastic. I was seriously tempted to keep it as-is, but that'd just bug me for a long time if I didn't get it fixed. There was only one possible orientation for the feed in the nib that matched, the little "d" wall at the body end was directly opposing the feeder slit when I removed it, and I very carefully replaced it into the same location. Also, the nib holder had a recess to match the nib, which allowed only one possible orientation of the feed and nib into the assembly. I actually ended up with it properly in place, but I slipped with it about 90% inserted when the resistance really came on strong. If it moved at all out of that recess, it would not insert what-so-ever.

This was definitely a learning experience for me, I've pulled and replaced half a dozen nibs to this point, all Sheaffer ones, and none of them have given me any real trouble getting them back in place. When I started having trouble, I really should have just boxed the whole thing up and sent it to someone to put back together for me... but I suppose then I would not have learned what I did. I kind of consider this the price of knowledge here. :)

Still no word back from the service center, so I have sent them a polite request for a status update.

EDIT: Ahhh, Murphy. Dude's got a warped sense of humor. Received a hard-copy of the quote today in the evening mail. *Facedesk*

EDIT AGAIN: So, looks like this is a "Level 2 Service" to replace the damaged feed, for $102. I'm somewhat surprised, given that it appears that replacement of most all parts seems to be part of the "Level 1 Service" in most accounts. Ah well, should have it back in 7-10 days!

Edited by Komitadjie

Glad they got back to you. I haven't heard back about my 149 yet and it was sent the second week of August. Tracking confirmed that it arrived and was signed for on Aug. 8. I may have to give them a call.

Might not hurt! I didn't hear a thing until the letter showed up in the mail. I was somewhat surprised by that, I had assumed they would either call or email me for something as simple as a quote approval. But, they have their own way of doing things, and I don't mind. I'd much rather take the time, and get a perfect pen back than rush anything! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just showed up today! I honestly wish I could give a completely positive review...

On the positive side, the damaged feed is replaced, I now have brass threads in the piston assembly, the stained piston seal is replaced with a brand new one, and the exterior of the pen is very highly polished and absolutely beautiful!

On the negative? Well... it doesn't really WRITE anymore. When I sent it off, it had a wonderful, wet, medium-to-broad stroke that was absolutely gliding and effortless on the paper, with gorgeous shading and flow. Now? It doesn't lay down any ink what-so-ever unless I apply what I consider to be "medium to firm" pressure, that is to say, about the same amount that would induce some flex in my Ahab. This was NOT the case before I sent it off! It will not write under its own weight at all, with any of the three inks I've tried it with (Diamine Asa Blue - the one I used in the written sample earlier in this thread, Kon-peki, and Noodler's 54th)

I've tried the usual soap-and-water flush until it was running totally clear, then flushed out all of that with clean water... What else should I be trying? I'm really kind of disappointed, it came back less functional than BEFORE I paid them a bill to *fix* it!

I guess I was just VERY surprised! I would have thought a test-write with it would have very easily shown this one up, it's NOT a vague problem or something that only shows up with certain inks.

I suppose this is something I might have expected from TWSBI or something like that... 'Cept TWSBI got me spare parts faster, and they worked! Pardon the sarcasm, I'm just feeling rather put-out that I gave them a hundred bucks to replace something I could have easily done myself, with the added bonus of making my pen not write any more. :mellow:

Edited by Komitadjie

My fine nib 149 came back from repair with misaligned tines and dry flow. Similar to your problems. It used to be a beautiful writer. On the plus side, they repaired the crack. I'm sending it off to a nibmeister.

That's the same approach I decided on, Wilson. Mine is in the mail to Mike Masuyama right now for adjustment and a slight regrind to a medium CI stub. Oh look, an excuse for another custom nib... :D

Edited by Komitadjie

70% of time, MB service center didn't do a perfect job. I have learned from my mistakes and i would rather send it to Mike instead of crossing my fingers with MB Severed Center.