Kaweco Al Eyedropper - Going For It

Jumpmonkey

So, I'm going to go ahead and do it. I have heard continual ***BUT COROSION*** comments, but, it doesn't seem like anyone has actually tried.

Why am I giving it a go? I love the pen, but hate the cartridges, I hate their size, I hate refilling them. I hate them, completely.

Also, I am not sure how many have looked into it, but Aluminum does not oxidize the way that we often think of oxidization. We usually think in terms of steel turning red and flaking away. But, the red oxidization is not the only which occurs in steel, there is actually some nice oxidization which can form and create a patina which protects the metal to a degree. Anyhow, it seems that Aluminum actually has a somewhat favorable response to oxidization, and I'm going to ink it up as soon as my italic nib shows up (hopefully today)

I'll keep tabs on it as time goes. If it turns disastrous, I'll let y'all know. If it works just fine, and looks dead sexy, I'll let you know that too.

Anyhow, if anyone has direct experience with tragic results, tell me now. Otherwise... LET THE EXPERIMENT BEGIN!!!

He who controls the ink controls the universe!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jumpmonkey

• KBeezie

• Ink Stained Wretch

• OakIris

I know something will happen. We'll see if it is negative, positive, or neutral in it's effect. I hate the pen enough as a cartridge pen to be willing to roll with whatever the result is.

The information I have seen indicates that it will be more likely beneficial than problematic, unless somehow it causes the threading to seize and the pen to be more difficult to fill, but I believe still serviceable.

http://flannerytrim.com/content/does-aluminum-rust

http://www.theruststore.com/Does-Aluminum-Rust-W26C2.aspx

As I said, we'll see what happens. The pen just annoys me currently, so I don't risk loosing anything. Just a pen I didn't like to begin with.

Good luck! I wonder if the alluminum could be coated with something to make it safer as an ED?

Corrosion, it's a scary word, but, I wonder if anyone has actually researched it in relation to Aluminum. Every time I find something on aluminum oxidation or "corrosion" it is actually much kinder than what we commonly think of as "corrosion."

Again, another source: http://www.aluminiumdesign.net/design-support/aluminium-corrosion-resistance/

The more I read into the use of Aluminum and the resulting oxidation and corrosion in varying environments, the less concerned I am. And then, I am consoled by the fact that Kaweco makes the most fiddly pieces of garbage. The new nib is already acting up, just like the one the pen came with... Honestly, right now, the pens reliable finickyness seems like the likeliest candidate to end the experiment unfavorably. Time shall tell. At worst, I'll keep it inked to see if it ruins, even if it doesn't get used.

Corrosion, it's a scary word, but, I wonder if anyone has actually researched it in relation to Aluminum. Every time I find something on aluminum oxidation or "corrosion" it is actually much kinder than what we commonly think of as "corrosion."

Again, another source: http://www.aluminiumdesign.net/design-support/aluminium-corrosion-resistance/

The more I read into the use of Aluminum and the resulting oxidation and corrosion in varying environments, the less concerned I am. And then, I am consoled by the fact that Kaweco makes the most fiddly pieces of garbage. The new nib is already acting up, just like the one the pen came with... Honestly, right now, the pens reliable finickyness seems like the likeliest candidate to end the experiment unfavorably. Time shall tell. At worst, I'll keep it inked to see if it ruins, even if it doesn't get used.

My palm has gone through my face.

I'd expect the pen to first turn grey, then start pitting. The barrel threads will probably get rougher and tend to seize.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

The threads will have to be coated with grease, so they'll be somewhat protected. You could try coating the inside of the barrel with a light layer of silicone grease. If the aluminum body is actually eaten right through, I'll be very, very surprised. This is ink, not hydrochloric acid.

Let us know what happens.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

The threads are coated in silicone grease. Not sure it's enough as some bled onto them, after an initial wipe, no further problems. On day 3, about to pull it out, do some writing...

As of now, no visible damage or abnormalities inside the barrel of the pen. More ink in the threads, I think I need better grease. Even with ink having gotten in the threads the nib/grip section unscrews easily (the first time was tough, for whatever reason, but normal since.)

Corrosion, it's a scary word, but, I wonder if anyone has actually researched it in relation to Aluminum.

You're kidding, right? Aluminum was a wonder metal of the late 19th Century, a new element. Lots of research was done on it due to the demand for it, and as a result the price of producing the metal came down from the astronomical strata.

The research into the practical uses of aluminum was largely concentrated on the strength and corrosion resistance of the metal. Aluminum was the big thing for dirigibles and aircraft in the first half of the 20th Century.

What will happen is that the benign coating of oxidized aluminum on the interior of your fountain pen will start to corrode, but you will not be able to notice this since it's pretty much all happening at a molecular scale. Once that coating goes, the raw aluminum will start to react with the ink. How this progresses will depend on the pH of the ink you're using and on the other substances in the ink. Some inks will take a while to do anything that a human could notice. Other inks will go through the aluminum rapidly.

The threads will probably be the first place where you might notice the corrosion. It won't be because ink has somehow spilled on the threads, it'll be because the threads are pointy in places and the ink will be making its way through them. Silicone grease will help, but the ink will work its way along the interface between the non-reactive grease and the reactive aluminum.

The outcome of your experiment is predictable.

Nathan Tardif used to have a demonstration posted on the Web of how some inks go through aluminum at a pretty fast clip.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Hey, it's your pen and you didn't like it much as it was. I hope the experiment works beautifully because it prefer it when experiments yeild surprisingly beneficial results. Either way time will tell.

Ink Stained Wretch,

Cool deal, got a link to the aluminum/ink demonstrations? I'm still going through with it, for the sake of science! Granted, it may be grade school science, where the experiment has already been done to death by real scientists. But I am still happy to do my 3rd grade science fair project. Besides, maybe no-one has tested P.R. Ebony Purple. Maybe it's the one un-coated-aluminum-friendly ink out there.

Edited by Jumpmonkey

For a practical example of aluminum/ink interaction, have a look at this thread from FPGeeks. I don't have any great pictures of this sort of thing, but my experience of ink and aluminum is that the oxidized metal tends to deform as well as pit; it puffs up!. If you're in it for the science, I wish you well, but I think it will end up costing you a pen.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Ernst,

Thanks for the heads up. If it costs the pen, that's fine. I'm done with Kaweco as a company, though, eye-drop-ability would spare at least the pen I do own.

What ink are you using? Sorry if I missed that but some might work better or longer than others.

Grace and peace to you

:)