Comparative Flex

Cryptos

Hi folks,

Just bumbling around the forums of late, nothing serious. Anyway I was hoping someone could offer some advice. I have been playing with a dip pen, namely a Zebra G. Now, a lot of fanatics enthusiasts talk about wet noodles and I do not know exactly what that is supposed to mean in this context. The Zebra G is flexible but requires pressure to do so. Would I be right in guessing that a wet noodle will flex without any appreciable pressure?

If that is the case I wonder if someone could recommend a wet noodly dip nib to try for myself, using the Zebra G as a point of reference - if you'll forgive the pun. Of course if anyone wants to donate a nib I would be happy to receive one (who wouldn't!).

Well, anyway, advise away...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• ac12

• bardiir

• Mickey

Top Posters In This Topic

Brause Rose nibs are even more wet noodle as the Zebra G, but they are extremely scratchy compared, so currently for my Flex Modification on the TWSBI the Zebra Gs are my goto nibs.

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

I'm pretty sure what the Zebra G does is already pretty much in full flex/wet noodle area on the fountain pens, it's pretty easy to flex compared to a let's say modded Noodler's Ahab which is referenced as full flex already most of the time.

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

Well, if that's the case then I would have to conclude that I have a very light hand indeed, as I have to apply distinct pressure to make the G flex fully. It's just that a lot of reports tell of vintage flex nibs that flex almost under the weight of the pen itself. An exaggeration perhaps?

Try a Hiro 41, it flexes much easier than the Nikko G.

In fact I don't use it much, because it flexes so easily.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I heard that Hiro 41 nibs were having problems with ink retention. Is this still an issue? With my Zebra G I give it a good lick before a writing session, which seems to work and I can do about 4 complete alphabets with no pressure on one dip - I do wipe it clean at the end of the session, although once I forgot and, well, Lamy Black doesn't taste that great that's all I'm sayin'...

Edited by Cryptos

Yes there was a bad batch of 41s, but that was corrected at the factory, and they are shipping good ones now.

Hopefully your order will not get any of that bad batch.

There are kinda solutions for that make that bad batch of nibs work.

- automotive carburetor cleaner (this is what I used)

- pine-sol (but only for a second and immediately wash it, too long and it does nasty things to the nib)

www.SFPenShow.com

The G nibs are not what would be considered a very flexible nib. Among modern dip nibs, the Leonardt Principal EF and the Gillott 303 are some of the most flexible available. The tines of a very flexible nib should separate with minimal pressure; if you have to bear down on the nib, it's not very flexible. In my experience, some dip nibs flex easily because the tines are very thin and some flex easily because of the design of the nib. The former feel soft and mushy to me, while the latter have a snap to them.

The Zebra G as a highly flexible nib?

Hmm Im going to have to disagree with that. Personally, there are only two classes of nibs that I consider so-called wet noodle. The first is the principality type nibs, whose sharpness and fine-ness are unrivaled in almost every way. The modern principal from Leonhardt does a fine job too.

The second class is the Gillott 303 class, which is superlatively flexible. But not quite the type of spring and elasticity of the principal. I have had both the G nibs, and I find them unsuitable for ornamental practice of my degree... when I write, I don't have the strength or pressure variation to use a G nib - they are just too stiff.

Another interesting class of nibs would be the Spencerian no. 1 nibs, which spawned copies such as the 128 and 358 - in terms of flexibility. Even the so-called dream point, the Spencerian no. 1 is not flexible enough for me. Nor is it as fine. The elasticity just doesn't stick well with me.

These nibs have very thinly pressed steel, and they often wear out quickly.

I have never used a 41 - I have used 356 and 357 nibs, and both are very very fine. Hairlines are drawn by less than the weight of the pen - you must have a very, very light hand to use them properly.

In Ornamental Writing, the beauty of light line and shade must be harmonious.

... The best ornamental penmen write each word one letter at a time, the best they can, the same as you do.

Great! I am looking around for Leonhardt EF nibs and Gillott 303s but they don't seem as common on our favourite auction site as I may have hoped. Either that or my search terms are wrong.

EDIT: found some and boy are they expensive. I'll have to stick with the cheapie Zebras for the time being.

Edited by Cryptos

Great! I am looking around for Leonhardt EF nibs and Gillott 303s but they don't seem as common on our favourite auction site as I may have hoped. Either that or my search terms are wrong.

EDIT: found some and boy are they expensive. I'll have to stick with the cheapie Zebras for the time being.

I'm not sure I am understanding what you are doing? Are you installing these nibs in a fountain pen somehow? Or are you using them in a dip pen holder?

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

Oh, in a cheap E+M holder. Some guy in the States just tried to sell me 3 Leonardts for $17 plus $25 shipping. Whereas I can get 10 Gs for about $12 all in. So, forgoing the pleasure of the Leonardt is inevitable for the moment.

Hey, I should have checked out their shipping rates. Looks like less than $10! Itchy fingers now as they also have Gillot 303. May have to put together a small bundle of different ones to try. Cool. :D

So, I've looked at the site and I see Leonardt Principality, Hiro 41, Hunt 101, Gillott 303, and Brause Rose. Is there enough difference between these to warrant trying them all?

So, I've looked at the site and I see Leonardt Principality, Hiro 41, Hunt 101, Gillott 303, and Brause Rose. Is there enough difference between these to warrant trying them all?

They are very different. As long as you're trying out points, you should probably include the Hunt 22 and 56 on your list. The Hunt 22 is often over-looked, but it would probably be my default point if I didn't have a large stash of Esterbrook 358 and 128 nibs. The 22 is flexible and sharp enough for pro quality Copperplate or Spencerian, but not so finicky that beginners can't use them.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I agree with Mickey,

If you are going to place an order, get 1 or 2 of each of the other nibs you are curious about. That way you can try them yourself to see if you like them or not. Even if you don't like them hold on to them. After a while and more experience with dip nibs, you might try them again and see if your feeling has changed or remains the same.

For me, switching to the oblique holder made all the difference in the world. With the oblique holder I could write with pointed nibs that I could not write with using a straight holder. I still needed to use a light hand, but it was easier.

www.SFPenShow.com