Scored My First Parker 51 Today.

mphstteach

Scored my first Parker 51. It is an aeromatic and I was hoping for a vaccumatic, but it wasn't a deal breaker. I am new to dating these and was hoping somebody could give me a rough time period the pen is from. Also, did I overpay? I see 51's going for much different prices. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161382434097?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Kind Regards,

Matt

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• mphstteach

• Florida Blue

• pajaro

I think the price you paid was very fair. It's a Special, which was an economy model, so that's probably why it didn't sell as high as other 51s.

The Special had a black jewel instead of pearl, an Octanium (steel alloy) nib instead of gold and a polished steel cap instead of the frosted Lustraloy. However, these are just minor cosmetic details as it's still a 51.

The pen might have a date code on the barrel, but I would date it from 1950 until about 1960. The Special came out in 1950, but it was upgraded with a frosted cap in the early 60s.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Matt,

It's a 51 Special

Read about it here:

http://parkerpens.net/parker51.html

2/3 way down the page. IIRC, Specials were not date coded.

Black jewel instead of gray or amber, octanium nib in place of gold, and bale style filler instead of the full stainless filler case- otherwise like the original 51. They are great writers. I think the price you gave was very good if it is as clean as the seller states.

As an aerometric, a good cleansing and thorough flushing is hopefully all you will need to do to put it into service.

Congratulations and welcome to the (51) Dark Side! Now comes the 'waiting' part-

Clayton

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

Sorry FB- we hit the POST button at the same time :)

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

It's at least a 1951 or later Special.

Nearly perfect is pressing it. Though the sac is really clean it's got a fair amount of desk (drawer) wear.

$42 for it is a perfectly decent deal.

Check out the Found in the Wild 51 thread pinned in the start of this forum and more dating clues on the Chronology page at Parker51.com

Welcome to Club 51.

Where in WVa? My Mom is from Bluefield and I've ridden my motorcycle around most of the state.

[EDIT] I can't tell from the poor white balance pics if the nib is Gold or not. It has to be at least a '51 pen if the cap is original, the

'50 Special is the only one with the long clip on it.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I live just outside of Huntington. And thank you all for the help. I was worried I overpaid since it was a special so the kind words and thoughts made me feel better. Other than cosmetics does it write like other 51's?

Kind Regards,

Matt

Other than cosmetics does it write like other 51's?

Yes, unless it has some issue that needs addressing.

Eyes closed, with a Special and Regular in proper writing condition, you couldn't tell the difference writing with them.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Sorry to add to the confusion but...

I was sold a 51 (from a reputable enthusiast, don't worry) and it was billed as a Special wiith a fine alloy nib. The thing is the pen does not have the bale style filler, it has the regular full case filler, and the nib appears to be gold. Also, the clip is 42mm from the point of attachment to the tip of the arrow., but the jewel is jet black.

The filler is labeled "To fill press ribbed bar firmly 6 times, use dry writing superchrome ink. The Parker Pen Company. Made in the USA" but there are no discernible date markings.

So what is it? A Special or something else? I'm inclined to think that it is a Mark II-A, but that is little more than a guess.

You paid a good price.

No worries. :)

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Congrats. Specials are great pens and that is a good price.

Mine does have a date code, same as other "51" pens. On the barrel, right below the clutch ring.

If it doesn't have a hoop style filler, it's not a Special.

The lines blur because some Specials had gray jewels and Gold nibs from the factory just like the regular ones but All Specials that I know

of had the hoop filler. I think they say 51 Special right on the filler.

There's nothing at all to say you couldn't have a black jeweled, shiny 51 Special cap on a Regular 51.

I am not one who gets concerned in the least with mismatched caps to pens. Some do but I don't.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Sorry FB- we hit the POST button at the same time :)

That's OK. I think I did that twice to Ernst a few days ago :lol:

I was sold a 51 (from a reputable enthusiast, don't worry) and it was billed as a Special wiith a fine alloy nib. The thing is the pen does not have the bale style filler, it has the regular full case filler, and the nib appears to be gold. Also, the clip is 42mm from the point of attachment to the tip of the arrow., but the jewel is jet black.

The filler is labeled "To fill press ribbed bar firmly 6 times, use dry writing superchrome ink. The Parker Pen Company. Made in the USA" but there are no discernible date markings.

It might be a 51 "Standard." In 1957 Parker changed the name of the Special to the Standard and over several years proceeded to upgrade it with a gold nib, frosted cap and eventually a pearl jewel. However, they always retained the open "hoop" filler marked "Special." Perhaps your's is a Standard with a replacement filler sleeve.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

That's OK. I think I did that twice to Ernst a few days ago :lol:

It might be a 51 "Standard." In 1957 Parker changed the name of the Special to the Standard and over several years proceeded to upgrade it with a gold nib, frosted cap and eventually a pearl jewel. However, they always retained the open "hoop" filler marked "Special." Perhaps your's is a Standard with a replacement filler sleeve.

I have 51 Standards. They have a lustraloy cap, gray cap jewel, 14K nib and the hoop filler. They are all the same.

What the pen you are referring to is a mixed bag. Sounds like a pen with the wrong cap. The fuller sheath with 6 times filler is the early 51 filler.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Interesting. Based on what has been said, I just took a really close look at the cap. It doesn't look like it was mirror finished, but it doesn't exactly look frosted either. Also, I noted for the first time the very beginnings of a smile on cap, but... it's a bit higher up than where the current arrowhead sits. Suggesting a replacement clip on a Special cap perhaps? So, if I can find a regular old 51 Standard cap it would be a completely non-Frankenpen! (not that the cap differences are that important to me either).

Learning something new all the time. Priceless.

Thank you all for all the information. Excited to get it in my hands and learn more about it

Kind Regards,

Matt

I have 51 Standards. They have a lustraloy cap, gray cap jewel, 14K nib and the hoop filler. They are all the same.

What the pen you are referring to is a mixed bag. Sounds like a pen with the wrong cap. The fuller sheath with 6 times filler is the early 51 filler.

I agree that Cryptos' is probably a mix of different parts, but the Standard did change over it's lifetime.

Here is a NOS 51 Standard set with the "Special" hoop filler, black jewel, Octanium nib and polished steel caps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-51-Standard-Fountain-Pen-Set-New-Old-Stock-Teal-Stickered-Med-Nib-/171387957363?nma=true&si=JIVLKN2OYer4Gbes8cYAtI4lj3k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The later Standards came about in the mid 1960s.

I agree that Cryptos' is probably a mix of different parts, but the Standard did change over it's lifetime.

Here is a NOS 51 Standard set with the "Special" hoop filler, black jewel, Octanium nib and polished steel caps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-51-Standard-Fountain-Pen-Set-New-Old-Stock-Teal-Stickered-Med-Nib-/171387957363?nma=true&si=JIVLKN2OYer4Gbes8cYAtI4lj3k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The later Standards came about in the mid 1960s.

My standard sets were $25. Not $18.50. In reality that's a Special set, mislabeled.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The fuller sheath with 6 times filler is the early 51 filler.

Silly A me swears I read that sentence and the 6 pushes didn't connect..

Of course, that filler Has to be a '48 filler. And, the Special wasn't until 2 years later.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-who went to the North Ga. Mts, but just for a few seconds

My standard sets were $25. Not $18.50. In reality that's a Special set, mislabeled.

It could just be an older set and over time the price increased. About when did you buy your sets?

I'm assuming the set I linked to be a late 50s set.

Wow. I'm glad I went and looked at that set. You don't see them still in the cellophane so often.

You'd have to Really reach to whine because it's missing the outer cardboard "box". ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl