Dc Show 2014

playpen

If your wife liked DC she will LOVE Ohio. Terry's shows are always great. If you are attending, be sure and buy a weekend registration which entitles you and another person to 4 days of parties, auctions and pen purchasing.

I wish *I* could do that -- unfortunately Ohio is (once again for me) up against something that is the dreaded "Prior Commitment". Okay, it's maybe not so dreaded, but it is a commitment which involves getting pie baked for Sunday of that weekend. So just like last year I can probably only go on Friday. :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• playpen

• Tasmith

• inkstainedruth

• Dalepenkala

This was my first pen show, and I loved it. To be honest I was a bit overwhelmed. Went in search of my first vintage pen, but couldn't find one that really spoke to me. Instead, I ended up with a Franklin-Christoph Model 27 in Radiant Red with a Masuyama customized broad cursive italic nib. I love the pen and haven't been able to stop writing with it since Saturday. A teaser image below. The FC staff was amazing, very helpful, pleasant, just all around great. In fact, that was my impression of pretty much everyone at the show. Talked to a ton of folks just sort of randomly, connecting over pens, ink, etc. In hindsight, I sort of wish I would have picked up some FC Syrah Syrah while I was there.

I'm always looking forward to next year. I'll also definitely be at the Baltimore show in March, and would love to connect with any fellow FPNers who will be there.

fpn_1407786339__fc27.jpg

I'm so glad the weather was great during the DC show. It just makes everything easier. Now that everyone has gone home, it's raining like crazy in Tysons. I have been enjoying just thinking about the great time we had. I am looking forward to the Paul Rossi Moonlight but I guess I will have to be patient...until Ohio. I'm enjoying my Conklin Crescent demonstrator. I need a heavy hand with it - it's no Omas Ogiva, that's for sure but then again, the Omas is sitting, unused since its return trip from Italy while I'm not afraid of what's going to happen to the Conklin so I'm using it.

I've also been looking at the internet at silver whistles since I bought two at the show and I've discovered one of the ones I bought, in several places - ebay and other retail outlets for considerably less than I paid. The person from whom I bought the whistles ( a silversmith at the show) told me he made the whistles himself. Even though I bought them because I liked them, the fact that they were handmade by someone I've known for years, added to the attraction. I appreciate good workmanship and honesty. In the 'coin' of my realm, the trade for this will be that I will use one of my many pens to cross a name off my list for future purchases.

If your wife liked DC she will LOVE Ohio. Terry's shows are always great. If you are attending, be sure and buy a weekend registration which entitles you and another person to 4 days of parties, auctions and pen purchasing.

We will look into buying a weekend registration.

Didn't get a whole lot as mentioned before, but been wanting to learn Michael Sull's American Cursive method, buy Akkerman ink and get items useful for pen storage and displaying.

My wife bought the pink Parker Jotters and glass paper weight style pen holders.

Edited by Tasmith

Be careful with those glass pen holder type things. I was warned off those by a few people who said they tend to cut into the pens. They look interesting but be careful.

We bought the handwriting book in Ohio as well as several other interesting things he had at his table. He's got really nice wooden pen holders.

Do buy the weekend registration. When you realize how good the ice cream is at Graeter's, you'll be sorry you didn't arrive a week earlier and leave a week later! :)

Be careful with those glass pen holder type things. I was warned off those by a few people who said they tend to cut into the pens. They look interesting but be careful.

We bought the handwriting book in Ohio as well as several other interesting things he had at his table. He's got really nice wooden pen holders.

Do buy the weekend registration. When you realize how good the ice cream is at Graeter's, you'll be sorry you didn't arrive a week earlier and leave a week later! :)

No expert at this but arent those glass things really meant for flower arranging when they become known as glass flower frogs and not paper weight pen holders at all?

Edited by Beechwood

No expert at this but arent those glass things really meant for flower arranging and not paper weight pen holders at all?

They work great for holding ball points. Several venders were selling them as pen holders. My wife grows roses, so I'll let her check out if they work for flower arranging.

Edited by Tasmith

Yes, they are for flowers and many of them are interesting looking but not healthy for pens. They are actually at home with inkwells and other pen related items.

We will look into buying a weekend registration.

Didn't get a whole lot as mentioned before, but been wanting to learn Michael Sull's American Cursive method, buy Akkerman ink and get items useful for pen storage and displaying.

My wife bought the pink Parker Jotters and glass paper weight style pen holders.

Love the glass pen stands! This was Vanness Pens first DC show- and I had no time to go and look until late Sunday - love the ink you purchased!

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

Re: flower frogs/pen holders

As with many things, a little care goes along way. If you look carefully at the holes you can see whether they are rough or smooth. They vary individually. I have several that I use for FPs without incident.

gary

Re: flower frogs/pen holders

As with many things, a little care goes along way. If you look carefully at the holes you can see whether they are rough or smooth. They vary individually. I have several that I use for FPs without incident.

gary

Good point about the smoothness of the holes. Checked and they are all smooth.

Even if the edges are smooth, when the pen leans against the sides there may be a slight impression left by the glass.

Yeah...so, anyway, it was a pleasure to meet Shawn Newton, my first FPN "friend".

I'm glad I decided to go this year.

Even if the edges are smooth, when the pen leans against the sides there may be a slight impression left by the glass.

Would be interested to know what pen material is soft enough for an impression to be formed by its own (partial) weight.

gary

Edited by gary

Yeah...so, anyway, it was a pleasure to meet Shawn Newton, my first FPN "friend".

I'm glad I decided to go this year.

It was great seeing you!

Wish I could have met some other FPN people this year. I bet lots of people saw me. I was wearing a really brightly colored shirt!