Dc Show 2014

playpen

Once again we are at the DC show in Tysons, Va. where the weather has been lovely this week. The place is really hopping this morning! If you are in the area, c'mon down and check out the action!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• playpen

• Tasmith

• inkstainedruth

• Dalepenkala

I spent over 4 hours there today and I may go back tomorrow! Great show and lots of people!! Really a lot of fun. I was sorely tempted by a number of pens including Onoto, Conway Stewart, and several Montblancs. In the end I bought one pen -- a MB Heritage 1912.

One of my purchases was a yet to be created Paul Rossi. I eagerly await the email announcing it is ready but it will be several months before I actually have it in my hot little paws!

For once, nothing went home with me today! But that's really because two really had my attention, both at the upper end of my comfort range, and I don't think either was actually available.

I'm heavily debating on a badly overpriced ballpoint/roller, the Edelberg Sloop in carbon fiber.

And the middle one in this set

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l25/mbohannon/Pens/IMG_0912_zpsa7be0923.jpg

Conway Stewart Marlborough in black ebonite, just screamed at me today!

But, neither were in today's budget!

I made it a day trip and drove the 154 miles down. Wasn't that bad of a ride. Lots of energy and lots of people. Pretty much laid out the same as last year. Many great pens but I did get a sense that things were a touch overpriced in general. Hard to find a good deal. That said, I did walk away with a long sought Pelikan M200 brown tortoise.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/jdanley/Pelikan75_zps532f96ab.jpg

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

The pen is the LR7 Moonlight. I have never posted photos on FPN because I don't know how but if you google it you can see what it looks like.

My first pen show. Wow, I was overwhelmed. Spent most of the day Saturday wandering around all the tables trying to make notes of what I should go back for a second look. Signed up just after the doors opened for Mike Masuyama's nib adjustment waiting list. My name finally came up around 2:00pm! He did a fantastic job restoring an older VP gold nib to like-new condition. It's amazing being able to sit right there in front of the nib meister as he does his magic. I think that is one of the real benefits of attending a pen show like this.

Ended up buying a VP flat black body for the rejuvenated nib and a new NAMIKI Falcon SF, from Richard Binder's table.

Was really tempted by an Edison Menlo pump filler, but I came to the show with a budget and managed to keep to it.

Sunday morning I attended Richard Binder's nib smoothing workshop. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in tweaking their own pens. He is an excellent teacher and was assisted by three of his former pupils who are professional nib meisters in their own right.

Overall, Saturday is definitely the biggest day with the most vendors and things to see. Sunday morning had a few empty tables as some pulled out early. Still plenty to see, though.

Already planning to attend next year.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

I was at the DC show Saturday and Sunday. It was really packed Saturday afternoon. I picked up a Forest Green Parker 51 Aero, and a beautiful Green Standard Vacumatic. Learned that Indy-Pen-Dance will now carry Richard Binder's Gate City Pens. Saw a newly made Senior Postal at their table. I was tempted, but I'm hoping they will bring back the New Dunn Tattler.

Edited by NobleDel

First show for me as well. I was quite shocked at how lackluster Sunday was compared to Saturday. I had a great time and was glad I was able to meet so many people that I have only talked to online with. It was definitely a site to see.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Had a great time on Saturday. I'm glad my first pen show was in Baltimore back in March, as I knew what to expect this time and wasn't overwhelmed as I was in Baltimore. I picked up my first bottle of Akkerman ink, Powder Blue, acrylic pen stands, red slotted trays and Mickeal Sull's book on American Cursive writing. No pens. Looked at what seemed to be every Parker 51 there, but couldn't find the one that "spoke" to me. My wife came along for something to do, and ended up buying three Parker Jotter ballpoints in various shades of pink and two glass paper weight type pen holders. My wife even commented on how nice everyone was and how each vendor we spoke with was very polite and took pride in describing their pens and the history of the pens. Can't wait for next year's area pens shows.

Edited by Tasmith

Great show, although I only managed about four hours on Saturday. Was nice to see the good folks from Classic Fountain Pens there this year, although a little bummed John didn't make it. I resisted temptation to purchase some of the four figure Nakayas on display...but only just! Glad I did most of my damage a few years back when prices were a little more accessible. Still, great pens and great people. Ended up buying a really nice Franklin-Christoph 02 to use while my poor damaged Model 19 gets repaired and a custom forest green Bexley fountain and rollerball combo from Richard Greenwald. My first pen from him....great guy. Purchased an Akkerman inkwell with some nice green ink as well. Really tempted to purchase an AMAZING Pelikan 800 in brown with a OBB nib from Sarj Minhas...bought a great 146 from him last year. Had a nice chat with Brian Gray from Edison - another super dude - but time prevented me from going back to the table - a flight to OKC beckoned.

I was totally unable to find Newton Pens. While my wallet is happier, I was hoping to try out and probably purchase one of his models. Where the heck were they? Nobody I talked to seemed to be able to find them.

Sadly missed there was Joe Cali. Joe was a true gentleman and an amazing artist. He was as kind to a newcomer as he was to an old friend. In 2008, I was lucky to host him for dinner at my home prior to the show - we had a lovely evening talking about art, photography, golf and Joe's other great love - baseball. Every time I bought a pen from him or had one adjusted he would throw a few extras in - converters, an inkwell, some old drawings, etc. Why? He would say "I'm don't know how much time I have." He was never melancholy or sad, just matter of fact. All of us who knew him and are lucky enough to have a few of his truly magnificent pieces of art are richer for it.

"You'll never see a Commie drink a glass of water. Vodka. Vodka only - that's his drink." General Jack D. Ripper

This thread is worthless without pics... Let's see some of your goodies!

Edited by risingsun

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

This thread is worthless without pics... Let's see some of your goodies!

I second the request for pictures!!!!

I was there Saturday from roughly 1-6:00PM. Always a great show!!

Newton Pens was out in the lobby. There were more vendors in the lobby this year than prior years...

I think that the venue may be becoming too small for this "Convention"! They may need to open new rooms for the "Pen Pals"! (If there are any!)

;)

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

The minute I walked out of the hotel, into the bustle of Leesburg Pike, I realized that the show had already passed into history for me. The 2014 show was, by far, the most fantastic one I have thus far attended. The throngs of happy people packing the aisles added to the thrill and color of it all.

I came away with a few treasures including a small ebony and rosewood box from Ray Jones, a Conklin Crescent demonstrator, two sterling silver whistles, some items from the ever fabulous Jim Marshall, a Paul Rossi Moonlight that Andy Lambrou promised to deliver at the Ohio show and a fabulous small abalone ballpoint pen from the creative hands of Dale and Jen Penkala owners of Write Pens Ink. They are two of the nicest people ever and a welcomed addition to the DC pen scene. It was their pen I was holding in my hand as we drove out of the 2014 show and into the uncertain and politically terrifying world of August '14.

There is one thing of which I am very certain - we had a fabulous time, saw old friends, made new ones and are eagerly looking forward to Ohio.

After the watermelon in the shopping cart incident Saturday night in the hotel lobby, I can't wait to see what Terry's show unfolds for us! If you're curious to know any other details about that watermelon (seedless of course), come to the show in 2015 and I promise to reveal all...

Edited by playpen

The minute I walked out of the hotel, into the bustle of Leesburg Pike, I realized that the show had already passed into history for me. The 2014 show was, by far, the most fantastic one I have thus far attended. The throngs of happy people packing the aisles added to the thrill and color of it all.

I came away with a few treasures including a small ebony and rosewood box from Ray Jones, a Conklin Crescent demonstrator, two sterling silver whistles, some items from the ever fabulous Jim Marshall, a Paul Rossi Moonlight that Andy Lambrou promised to deliver at the Ohio show and a fabulous small abalone ballpoint pen from the creative hands of Dale and Jen Penkala owners of Write Pens Ink. They are two of the nicest people ever and a welcomed addition to the DC pen scene. It was their pen I was holding in my hand as we drove out of the 2014 show and into the uncertain and politically terrifying world of August '14.

There is one thing of which I am very certain - we had a fabulous time, saw old friends, made new ones and are eagerly looking forward to Ohio.

After the watermelon in the shopping cart incident Saturday night in the hotel lobby, I can't wait to see what Terry's show unfolds for us! If you're curious to know any other details about that watermelon (seedless of course), come to the show in 2015 and I promise to reveal all...

Jen and I would like to thank all af the attendees at the show for making our experience there a wonderful experience! We will be back next year t participate again.

Met many wonderful people and made many new friends like Gail and Steve here from the FPN.

Dale

WritePensInk

If your wife liked DC she will LOVE Ohio. Terry's shows are always great. If you are attending, be sure and buy a weekend registration which entitles you and another person to 4 days of parties, auctions and pen purchasing.

My first pen show. Wow, I was overwhelmed. Spent most of the day Saturday wandering around all the tables trying to make notes of what I should go back for a second look. Signed up just after the doors opened for Mike Masuyama's nib adjustment waiting list. My name finally came up around 2:00pm! He did a fantastic job restoring an older VP gold nib to like-new condition. It's amazing being able to sit right there in front of the nib meister as he does his magic. I think that is one of the real benefits of attending a pen show like this.

Ended up buying a VP flat black body for the rejuvenated nib and a new NAMIKI Falcon SF, from Richard Binder's table.

Was really tempted by an Edison Menlo pump filler, but I came to the show with a budget and managed to keep to it.

Sunday morning I attended Richard Binder's nib smoothing workshop. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in tweaking their own pens. He is an excellent teacher and was assisted by three of his former pupils who are professional nib meisters in their own right.

Overall, Saturday is definitely the biggest day with the most vendors and things to see. Sunday morning had a few empty tables as some pulled out early. Still plenty to see, though.

Already planning to attend next year.

You sound a lot like how I was last year: DC was my first show, and I also took the nib smoothing class (now if I can just find what I did with the class notes...).

Only one pen for me this year, a black Parker 61 with the original capillary filler system and intact inlay. Was tempted by a couple-three other 61s but I was on budget. Also tempted by a really nice little Emerald Pearl Vac with a lockdown filler, but alas, it was not to be -- had pen repair issues that took *much* longer than anticipated :crybaby: and by the time that was all dealt with the dealer was gone. And by a Cedar Blue 51 Vac (needed restoration, but it was only $40). Also, sadly, I did not get back to the testing table to play with the new Sailor and Organics Studio inks in time on Sunday afternoon. And I have a new grail pen -- saw an absolutely gorgeous and drool-worthy burgundy Vac Shadow Wave for WAY more than I could afford (as in, it might have cost more than the total amount of money I spent the entire *weekend* excluding the hotel room, gas, and meals.... :wallbash:). Hmmm. Does anyone think I could get away with starting a crowd-source fundraiser campaign to pay for it? :lticaptd:

However, on the UP side of things, I got some inks I really wanted full bottles of (plus the ones from the Akkerman group buy -- thanks, Jared!) and an Esterbrook 9555 nib and a cute little metallic gold colored Pelikan pen rest. And I got one of my Snorkels repaired by Martin Ferguson; PLUS was able to find a replacement cap for my Shadow Wave -- which still had its jewel AND didn't have a crack -- for a *lot* less than it would have cost to have the crack in the original cap repaired. It does have a chip at the edge under the band, but Ron Zorn said he can cut the edge off a bit. So when I decompress a bit I will contact him to see about doing that work and getting the pen back working.

Best part was getting to meet people who were only names in threads or in ads before: watch_art, flyingfox, esterbex, Rick Krantz, Rob Morrison, Rick Propas, and Plistumi! :thumbup:

So, overall, I had (as expected) a blast and hope I can get there next year. And am starting the piggy bank/Christmas fund account for the stuff I now *really* want -- including getting at least a sample of the new J Herbin 1670 ink when it becomes available in the US (someone knew someone who had a sample and I got to see some writing with it -- dark grey with fine gold-dust like flecks (almost like what you'd expect to see in some of the maki-e work pens). :puddle:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."