Need Help Identifying Cross Pen

Master Singleton

I've being handed down a Cross Ballpoint Pen by my father recently where currently I'm having trouble identifying what model the pen is and from what era is this from.

I would like some assistance in the identification of this pen and that your help would be greatly appreciated.

On the cap of this pen the words "Cross" and "Ireland" is engraved

Here are some photos of the pen:

post-115366-0-08134000-1407374474_thumb.jpg

post-115366-0-68423200-1407374508_thumb.jpg

post-115366-0-16200700-1407374542_thumb.jpg

Edited by Master Singleton

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Master Singleton

• Jerome Tarshis

• Mike 59

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, The slim barrel would mean it's from the 'Classic Century' range, which have been made for a very long time, although I don't know what the extra silver bands mean, if anything.

'Made in Ireland' would narrow down when it was made, I don't know exact dates but the '80'/90's decades would be my guess. (Others will know more!)

You can see these in the current range at Cross.com, and look for the 'Classic Century's, in black, chrome and gold.

New refills can be bought for these if it has run out or dried up.

To get at the refill, just pull the cap straight up, and you will see inside a black or blue plastic part, which you can unscrew to remove the old refill.

You will probably know that Cross ballpoints 'twist' to use, rather than a 'push button' action.

Hope that helps.

Hi, The slim barrel would mean it's from the 'Classic Century' range, which have been made for a very long time, although I don't know what the extra silver bands mean, if anything.

'Made in Ireland' would narrow down when it was made, I don't know exact dates but the '80'/90's decades would be my guess. (Others will know more!)

You can see these in the current range at Cross.com, and look for the 'Classic Century's, in black, chrome and gold.

New refills can be bought for these if it has run out or dried up.

To get at the refill, just pull the cap straight up, and you will see inside a black or blue plastic part, which you can unscrew to remove the old refill.

You will probably know that Cross ballpoints 'twist' to use, rather than a 'push button' action.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply and also do you know anyone who could explain what the extra silver band means as when I looked at photos of Cross Classic Century Pens made in the 90's it doesn't have the extra silver band.

About the date of manufacture, the precise period is 1972-2000 when Cross was manufacturing at Ballinasloe, in the Co. Galway. Cross shut down manufacturing at the plant in 2000 but continued for some years to use the building as a European distribution center.

As for the meaning of the extra ring, that sounds like a quest that could easily take some time. I myself don't know anybody who can explain the meaning of life, but decorative elements on pens may be simpler to explain.

What I would do is try to find Cross ballpoint pen advertisements published in Ireland, which would presumably feature pens made in Ireland. Some idea of meaning might emerge from looking at pictures published over a period of time. The Web may help turn up old Cross advertisements, and it may be that there are libraries in Australia that possess runs of the appropriate Irish magazines. Or even English magazines.

About the date of manufacture, the precise period is 1972-2000 when Cross was manufacturing at Ballinasloe, in the Co. Galway. Cross shut down manufacturing at the plant in 2000 but continued for some years to use the building as a European distribution center.

As for the meaning of the extra ring, that sounds like a quest that could easily take some time. I myself don't know anybody who can explain the meaning of life, but decorative elements on pens may be simpler to explain.

What I would do is try to find Cross ballpoint pen advertisements published in Ireland, which would presumably feature pens made in Ireland. Some idea of meaning might emerge from looking at pictures published over a period of time. The Web may help turn up old Cross advertisements, and it may be that there are libraries in Australia that possess runs of the appropriate Irish magazines. Or even English magazines.

Thanks for the reply and the info. Based on your info and a day and a half of online reasearch ive found a UK Pen Museum website which has a list of Cross Pens with photos and aparently acording to the website it identifies my pen as a Cross Century with Green Lacquer finish with a value of £35 which is approximately $58.71.

Here is the URL to the website:

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/Cross.htm

Edited by Master Singleton