Need Ink Recommendation For Office Copy Paper

dylim1

Hey there. I just bought my first fountain pen (Lamy Vista with a fine nib) and haven't invested in my first bottled ink yet. I would need some suggestions on buying inks. I'm a middle school math teacher. I plan to use my fountain pen to grade papers. I'm looking for inks that are suitable to write on office copy paper or regular school notebook paper, doesn't bleed through too much, and affordable since I'll using a lot daily.

I'm looking in the range of turquoise, purple, green and orange. I usually don't like grading in red ink. Does anyone or any teachers here have some good suggestions for me? Or maybe other colors that are not red? Thank you so much.

Edited by dylim1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dylim1

• Notgatherox

• MusterMark

• Tessy Moon

Top Posters In This Topic

It writes a bit dry in all of my Lamys, but Pelikan Brilliant Black is cheap and performs well on just about every type of cheap paper my students have ever handed in. Weatherman inks seem to do well on most papers as well. I haven't used their purple to grade before, but their blues have worked quite well for me. (I believe it's the same ink formula with different dyes added.)

It writes a bit dry in all of my Lamys, but Pelikan Brilliant Black is cheap and performs well on just about every type of cheap paper my students have ever handed in. Weatherman inks seem to do well on most papers as well. I haven't used their purple to grade before, but their blues have worked quite well for me. (I believe it's the same ink formula with different dyes added.)

Sounds like a good start to me. I'll start looking into it and find reviews about it. I usually use a purple gel pen to grade but it's become a little boring after some time. So I would like to venture out to other colors and make things interesting.

I was about to suggest Skrip Red until I read that you don't usually grade in red XD

Pelikan 4001 Green is one deep rich green.

Noodler's Apache Sunset is one nice orange.

Noodler's North African Violet is a beautiful purple. Waterproof too IIRC.

I recommend Pelikan 4001 Turquoise also. Beautiful shading with that ink

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I was about to suggest Skrip Red until I read that you don't usually grade in red XD

Pelikan 4001 Green is one deep rich green.

Noodler's Apache Sunset is one nice orange.

Noodler's North African Violet is a beautiful purple. Waterproof too IIRC.

I recommend Pelikan 4001 Turquoise also. Beautiful shading with that ink

~Epic

Since I just started using a fountain pen, I have too many questions to ask. Hope it's ok for you.

- Do they dry fast on copy papers?

- Do they bleed-through? Since student papers are usually printed double-sided.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi,

Though I am not a teacher, I thought that Lamy Green would be a good pick for grading student work.

In my Review of that ink I mentioned, "This ink is so benign that it can be used for correction of student work: this ink is a 'smurf', one could get hit between the eyes with it, and that would not elicit so much as a blink. Tender psyches are safe! Hoorah!!"

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Though I am not a teacher, I thought that Lamy Green would be a good pick for grading student work.

In my Review of that ink I mentioned, "This ink is so benign that it can be used for correction of student work: this ink is a 'smurf', one could get hit between the eyes with it, and that would not elicit so much as a blink. Tender psyches are safe! Hoorah!!"

Bye,

S1

I was looking into Lamy Green the other day and I'd probably buy a sample to try it out soon before the school year starts.

Since I just started using a fountain pen, I have too many questions to ask. Hope it's ok for you.

- Do they dry fast on copy papers?

- Do they bleed-through? Since student papers are usually printed double-sided.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Pelikan inks are notoriously dry so they will dry fast (pun not intended!) The Noodler's are more wet, but they dry fairly quickly too.

You have a fine nib, so there should be little bleedthrough! Try to write with a little less pressure (ie with a light hand) so ink won't seep through.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Rohrer & Klinger Salix (Blue) and Scabiosa (Purple) are very bleedproof. Salix especially. I mix them 1:1 to have a deep bluish purple Ink that is extremely well behaved. Both are iron-gall inks that are pretty tamper proof and long lived/lightfast too.

http://fp-ink.info/colorcard/74.png

http://fp-ink.info/colorcard/125.png

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

I don't like to grade in red, either! I'm a college composition instructor. Because of this, I've used a lot of different inks on a lot of different copy paper. All of the ones below are fairly quick-drying, don't bleed, and are unlikely to smear (a deal-breaker for me).

First off, I would absolutely second the recommendation of Noodlers North African Violet. It's intense and easy to see, definitely one of my favorites for my Fine-nibbed Safari. Another purple of which I'm fond is J. Herbin Violette Pensee, which is a bit lighter and more delicate. Private Reserve Plum is a bright, vibrant purple with more red than the previous two, without looking too magenta; it feathers a little, but I still enjoy using it.

Diamine Pumpkin is my favorite orange, hands down. It creeps and dries a bit funny on the nib, but the crud wipes right off and the color fairly leaps off the page.

As for greens--Diamine Apple Glory sounds just like it looks (utterly granny-smith-esque), and the shading is very pretty. I also had a sample of Rohrer and Klingner Alt-Goldgrun (gold-green) that I liked very much, but haven't found an excuse to purchase. The color is that oddly organic yellow-green of new, immature leaves, yet dark enough to be seen without squinting.

Hope this helps!

I don't like to grade in red, either! I'm a college composition instructor. Because of this, I've used a lot of different inks on a lot of different copy paper. All of the ones below are fairly quick-drying, don't bleed, and are unlikely to smear (a deal-breaker for me).

First off, I would absolutely second the recommendation of Noodlers North African Violet. It's intense and easy to see, definitely one of my favorites for my Fine-nibbed Safari. Another purple of which I'm fond is J. Herbin Violette Pensee, which is a bit lighter and more delicate. Private Reserve Plum is a bright, vibrant purple with more red than the previous two, without looking too magenta; it feathers a little, but I still enjoy using it.

Diamine Pumpkin is my favorite orange, hands down. It creeps and dries a bit funny on the nib, but the crud wipes right off and the color fairly leaps off the page.

As for greens--Diamine Apple Glory sounds just like it looks (utterly granny-smith-esque), and the shading is very pretty. I also had a sample of Rohrer and Klingner Alt-Goldgrun (gold-green) that I liked very much, but haven't found an excuse to purchase. The color is that oddly organic yellow-green of new, immature leaves, yet dark enough to be seen without squinting.

Hope this helps!

Rohrer & Klinger Salix (Blue) and Scabiosa (Purple) are very bleedproof. Salix especially. I mix them 1:1 to have a deep bluish purple Ink that is extremely well behaved. Both are iron-gall inks that are pretty tamper proof and long lived/lightfast too.

http://fp-ink.info/colorcard/74.png

http://fp-ink.info/colorcard/125.png

Thank you for all the suggestions. This just open a whole new whole for me to explore as a new fountain pen user. :D

Pelikan ink is a dry ink, so it depends on your pen. Some pens are too dry to use Pelikan ink.

Here is my list:

Pelikan: green

Sheaffer Skrip: turquoise, green

Diamine: Kelly Green

Waterman: green, tuquoise (this used to be called South Seas blue, do not know the current name)

I think the above is the order from dry (Pelikan) to wet (waterman) inks.

Feathering and bleed through also depends on the pen.

- Nib size. Wider nibs will put down more ink that may cause feathering and bleed through.

- If your pen is not wet, that reduces the feathering and bleed through problem. Wet pen + wet ink will be a problem.

I don't do purple, so I don't know who makes them, but I presume all 3 above also has purple/violet in their line.

The only orange that I know of are Diamine and Toucan. But there are probably others.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Would step up to a medium nib and use Noodler's Navajo Turquoise. One of my favorite inks for work that needs to catch the eye.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I use Noodler's Nikita to grade papers. Good, strong red that shouts "you messed up, comrade"!

Some of my favorites...

Green:

Diamine Meadow

Diamine Apple Glory

Diamine Kelly Green

Purple:

Diamine Majestic Purple

Monteverde Purple (more of a pinkish purple but I love it)

Organics Studio Jane Austen

Turquoise:

Diamine Aqua Lagoon (I love this color! It is gorgeous! Every time I use it takes my breath away!)

Levenger Blue Bahama

There are so many great inks out there. I think you really should get some sample inks and test them out before committing to buy a full bottle.

Gouletpens.com or isellpens.com are the places I go to for all my ink sample needs.

Have fun! :)

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1