Fpn Inks: Are We Lost?

rmullins

It is sometimes a coincidence that sometimes a ink vanishes from color chart - a year or so I was making two inks : "cherry in chocolate" and "raspberry in chocolate" which were both very nice iron gall inks highly appreciated and demanded by polish board community - but I had some problems with supplying correct dyes for those inks, and despite that I finally got better supplier I never made again those inks.

The same faith came to two electric blues, one of them was super saturated version of IG Turquoise and the second one standard dye based ink - I run out of dye, and the smallest package of needed dye I found was 1 kg which costed few hundred $.

I think that very similar problems have big ink brands - if dye or any needed component runs out, and there is not enough demand on the market to cover up cost of buying supplies in any near future than you delete this ink.

I have a lot of tape - and I won't hesitate to use it!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• rmullins

• Cyber6

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, just like everything else that is discontinued or runs out, the most practical and painless thing to do is remember all the good times we had with those inks, and take this opportunity to broaden our horizons by trying something new and different. There are efforts being made to secure some new FPN exclusive inks, I can say that for sure. We'll always have the memories...

I'm afraid you may be correct. Something in my soul doesn't want to accept this yet. ;)

It is sometimes a coincidence that sometimes a ink vanishes from color chart - a year or so I was making two inks : "cherry in chocolate" and "raspberry in chocolate" which were both very nice iron gall inks highly appreciated and demanded by polish board community - but I had some problems with supplying correct dyes for those inks, and despite that I finally got better supplier I never made again those inks.

The same faith came to two electric blues, one of them was super saturated version of IG Turquoise and the second one standard dye based ink - I run out of dye, and the smallest package of needed dye I found was 1 kg which costed few hundred $.

I think that very similar problems have big ink brands - if dye or any needed component runs out, and there is not enough demand on the market to cover up cost of buying supplies in any near future than you delete this ink.

WOW! Rasperry/Cherry in chocalate sounds absolutely decadent! I wish I didn't know about them now. ROFL!

That exactly was the case of the late Noodler's Black Swan ins Australian Roses. One of the dyes was changed because of unavailability.. and the color is not the same anymore. Noodlers' kept the name, but they should have change it.. since the new color is not Black Swan in Australian Roses anymore.

In the case of Galileo... I don't think is about unavailability of dyes. Last I heard.. there were more than a few boxes of this ink in someone's closet. I believe Is a more of an administrative SNAFU.

I do hope they come back, and if they need help... I am sure lots of people (including me) will love to help out.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

• 6 months later...

Did we mention that the original inks are now available again? A new one has been created for us, and we have taken preorders, but the ink is still in Massachusetts.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Oh and for those of you who loved the original BSAiR, you should check out Dumas.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Behold, I have this tendency towards lateral thinking. Here's a notion: contact the manufacturer. Explain that you're a potential customer, but not for their size of lot. Ask if they have any customers in your general area for the dye in question. If they're willing to part with that information (admittedly, hardly a given), ask their large-scale customer if you could perhaps purchase 10g/20g/50g/however much is suitable of that dye from them. Be sure to offer enough money to cover the time and attention required of them to measure, package, and sell the dyes to you. Or offer to buy up any unused remainders of previous lots, as long as it fits your budget.

Second option (which involves a bit of dishonesty): Contact the manufacturer. Explain that you're interested in purchasing dye XX, but you'd like to get a reference from one or more of their other customers for said dye, preferably in your local area. Then, ask their large-scale customer if you could perhaps purchase 10g/20g/50g/however much is suitable of that dye from them. Be sure to offer enough money to cover the time and attention required of them to measure, package, and sell the dyes to you. Or offer to buy up any unused remainders of previous lots, as long as it fits your budget.

Third option: Having gotten the name of one or more customers from the dye manufacturer, ask those customers if they'd be willing to buy 700-990g (whatever you find suitable) of the dye from you at a suitable discount. Get it in writing. If so, buy the whole kilo, take what you need from it, and sell the rest to a different end-user.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've heard back from Noodler's on this issue - Apparently, it has something to do with getting hot and cold --- trips from Massachusetts to Arkansas to Nevada to California and back to Nevada.

When you have repeated heating and cooling cycles, the ink will be distilled in the bottle to its various components...give it a vigorous shake to put it back into the lattice structure of the water molecules.

Shake it VIGOROUSLY and the problem is solved.

BTW, USPS shipping is not vigorous shaking enough.

Pics taken with no additional lighting. Ink actually much lighter in real life.

Well, I've heard back from Noodler's on this issue - Apparently, it has something to do with getting hot and cold --- trips from Massachusetts to Arkansas to Nevada to California and back to Nevada.

When you have repeated heating and cooling cycles, the ink will be distilled in the bottle to its various components...give it a vigorous shake to put it back into the lattice structure of the water molecules.

That to my scientific ear doesn't make sense. I can understand if the ink froze, but I don't think that happened. And in winter I doubt the ink got to any temperature got above 30º C. And that would mean volatile at room temperature. I don't know about inks, but my guess is the dyes are not volatile at room temperature. Willing to learn that is not the case.

I will dutifully shake mine up, again, but my experience is that it goes down in heavy concentrations in brown and then changes to red. In a pen with a medium nib it's only in the shaded areas that it's a deeper red. It's a very permanent red. But not brown.

I'm working on comparison pages of GMB to other browns to physically mail to Amber. Or whoever I should mail them to.

Edited by white_lotus

Normally I would chalk this up to the fact that color's on a computer monitor are slightly different than real life, but this is a DRASTIC difference from every post on FPN I have seen showcasing the ink.

(So sorry... the first thing that pop in my mind... blame my 15 years old daughter.. :P)

And, here I was worried about damaging my retinas looking at swatches of Diamine Wild Strawberry and the like.

Now this too?

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens