Contemporary Carene's

Left FPN

When the first Contemporary models hit the shops I went along to our local stationers to take a look. They had the white gunmetal chrome in and a nice pen, which seemed lighter, but just a tad too expensive at £220. Online these pens can be had for £165 which is still a little rich though.

We now have the new range of Contemporary pens, Blue Obsession, at £135 which is a little easier on the pocket.

Late last night, just as I was shutting down, this appeared on the great auction site. I asked the seller if the description was what it was and had an immediate reply...Mint, Boxed, Unused, converter, cartridges and papers. I think, for a Carene that was a bit of a sumgai....£70

fpn_1407048615__cc_01.jpg

fpn_1407049132__cc_02.jpg

Edited by Force

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• RMN

• pajaro

• stevesurf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These "contemporary" carene pens are quite ugly. The first edition finishes were probably the best- my favorites are the deluxe and green body/gold plated cap versions.

Still, the price is fair.

I think it's a nice buy for £70 and I would have bought it for that price.

The trouble is that all of the ones I find on ebay have M nibs and I prefer F or OF.

I have one amber Carene with OF nib and I wish I could find more like it in a different colour

Edited by Chrissy

I did not bother asking what size the nib was because if it's mint it can be exchanged for the cost of return to Waterman. No paperwork or receipt is equired to do it.

As for the price paid, sections alone are now upwards of £70, a converter £6, a box £5, a box of cartridges £5, and a new cap or barrel from Waterman are £55 each.

I will most probably move it on quickly.

As for being ugly...Naaa this is ugly.

Edited by Force

Oh, Force, you are just being lazy now. Surely we must move on from the Chaos pen as the de facto example of ugliness. :)

As to the Carene, my story: I had become a bit intrigued with the Sheaffer... Intrigue, mostly because I wondered if it would be similar enough to a PFM but with a bit more weight in hand. Only tried one that a fellow penman brought to a meeting. He also had a Carene, which seemed... similar.

On another fp forum, in a galaxy far away, a person offered up a minty Carene in a similar blue, but it was also a Carene Deluxe, with the gorgeous cap, and for only $129.00. And it was a factory stub. I thought "whatthehell".

It came, and I honestly am not sure I've had a pen, at anytime, surprise me more! It is perfect in my hand, in weight and balance, and is possibly the most successful stub nib (bordering on crisp italic) that I have used. Mix in to this the fact that there isn't a single pen I own (though I just added a Platinum 3776 "Nice") that can stay capped longer and still write with NO prompting or startup problems at all. It is bulletproof, and smooth as silk.

Really, a pen that moved, without asking, to one of my top three pens of all time. Crazy, that I just took a chance on it.

Good luck with yours.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Oh, Force, you are just being lazy now. Surely we must move on from the Chaos pen as the de facto example of ugliness. :)

As to the Carene, my story: I had become a bit intrigued with the Sheaffer... Intrigue, mostly because I wondered if it would be similar enough to a PFM but with a bit more weight in hand. Only tried one that a fellow penman brought to a meeting. He also had a Carene, which seemed... similar.

On another fp forum, in a galaxy far away, a person offered up a minty Carene in a similar blue, but it was also a Carene Deluxe, with the gorgeous cap, and for only $129.00. And it was a factory stub. I thought "whatthehell".

It came, and I honestly am not sure I've had a pen, at anytime, surprise me more! It is perfect in my hand, in weight and balance, and is possibly the most successful stub nib (bordering on crisp italic) that I have used. Mix in to this the fact that there isn't a single pen I own (though I just added a Platinum 3776 "Nice") that can stay capped longer and still write with NO prompting or startup problems at all. It is bulletproof, and smooth as silk.

Really, a pen that moved, without asking, to one of my top three pens of all time. Crazy, that I just took a chance on it.

Good luck with yours.

A Deluxe for $130 (£90) is a very good deal. I assume its the Silver + Blue deluxe.

fpn_1407054808__dscn0505.jpg

Nice price, Force, but why am I not surprised? You have a way to find these things... don't know how you do it... :thumbup:

And Jon: Yes, many people look a bit down on Waterman, is my impression. But they do make some very nice fountainpens, and the nibs are usually stiff but very smooth. Glad you found yours. I have 2 of these stubs...

Enjoy

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

That description of the Carene stub is going to make me want one. The Carenes are exceptionally good pens, but I find the nibs run a tad bit wide, my fines and extra fine being wider than I would like. So, if they run wide, why not partake of their direction and go with the stub? I could sell the extra nibs and pens and just go with it. Thank you Jon for that great description.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

@Pajaro: Those stubs are not narrow!!! They are M to B in size

D.ick

~

~

When you are writing with it, have you ever caught the illusion that you are writing with a lady's finger?

What a beautiful description......

But no, I had more thoughts about hot glass and melting butter.....

D.ick

~

~

The Carene's front end just has never looked right to me the way the nib is attached could have engineered to conform with aesthetics of the design better.

A Deluxe for $130 (£90) is a very good deal. I assume its the Silver + Blue deluxe.

Indeed: I believe the color is referred to as Prussian Blue, which has a subtle moire pattern; the cap is gold and silver vermeil...

post-65351-0-16467300-1407091571_thumb.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

@Pajaro: Those stubs are not narrow!!! They are M to B in size

D.ick

I figured it to be a broad stub. I have them in other pens, but they are not usually sufficiently italic for my satisfaction. To read Jon's description of the Carene stub as more italic is interesting. The best stub I have is actually an S-1 steel stub nib on a Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet. That one is italic. The Carene might yet have a redeeming characteristic to make up for the wide EF and cap flinging off of post. I spent quite a bit on them and nibs.com nibs, I want something out of it besides the nicest feeling nibs in creation that resist drying out. Maybe I want too much, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Indeed: I believe the color is referred to as Prussian Blue, which has a subtle moire pattern; the cap is gold and silver vermeil...

attachicon.gifCarene Prussian blue ST 9.jpg

That's a really beautiful pen. I adore that color.

To read Jon's description of the Carene stub as more italic is interesting.

I want to make sure I am clear on this: while it is still a stub, and does not exhibit very sharp edges, I find more line variation between horiz/vert strokes than almost any other pen. I recently acquired a Sheaffer Imperial with a factory stub that may be even edgier than this, but narrower in the wide.

Guys and girls, I've been dealing with not just a full plate, but a couple of them, with work and eldercare issues piling up on me. As soon as I get some clear time in the next couple of days I'll do some writing samples and put them up. As I said, while the Carene had never captured my eye before, this one does indeed write beautifully, and save for the 'tassie' on the end of the barrel not being attractive to me, I've grown to enjoy the look of the pen as well.

~ Benjamin Franklin

I don't believe you can call this ugly,

fpn_1407264878__dscn1528.jpg

fpn_1407264935__dscn1529.jpg

fpn_1407264969__dscn1533.jpg

fpn_1407265013__dscn1535.jpg

fpn_1407265046__dscn1536.jpg

and with a stamped nib not electro etched.

fpn_1407265109__dscn1524.jpg

this is a very nice pen for £70.

I think it's beautiful, but some people don't like complicated or designs they think are too ornate. The heck with such people. It's beautiful.