• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• Ghost Plane

• uemuraw

• MYU

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right now, I am after a Conway Stewart Ebonite Woodgrain Churchill, lever fill, broad nib. I am targeting the fall as a purchase date.

I am very fortunate in that I own my previous two grail pens. The first was a Pearl & Black Duofold, and it deserves grail status. The second was an Omas Arco Celluloid, also a great pen.

I plan to live forever. So far, so good.

I'd like to take this as not the usual pen that you can find if you look hard enough for it, but something really elusive.

For me it would be a silver stripe Pilot MYU. Not even Russ Stutler of Pilot MYU/Murex fame owns one. There are very few publicly acknowledged owners, with one being some fellow named Martin Smith who asked for his location to be kept private (lol), and our resident member Haywoody who has the glorious disposition of having the Capless version as well!

http://www.stutler.cc/pens/murex/images/white_striped.jpg

I had talked with Russ about the possibility of some stripping method to turn a black-stripe MYU into a white-stripe one, but apparently the black is "acid etched" into the pen--there's no way to do it without damaging the surface. There is no information as to how many were made, but given the lack of visibility to Pilot collectors in Japan, it has to be a very low number. Finding one is almost like hitting the lottery.

So, a more realistic "Holy Grail" pen for me would be a silver stripe Pilot Custom. They're difficult to find, but not nearly as rare as the MYU. :)

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Yes, it is an interesting question.

I don't think that I have any pens I am really lusting after right now. I do have a short list of pens I'd be interested in adding to the collection but so far have not purchased due to scarcity (the pen), penuriousness (me), or fear (of SWMBO finding out).

I'd enjoy owning a Waterman Boucheron. Or for that matter a sterling silver Edson. I'd like to add a Classic CP6 to the collection some time.

I find that I am selective even in the specific areas in which I collect. I collect Parker 75s yet have no urge to own some of the rarer versions. The T1 seems a bit silly to me, a collector piece destined to gather dust as you can't use it for fear of breaking the fragile nib. The Bicentennial just seems a bit plain, even ugly. Spanish treasure? A Cisele with a different inscription and because of the addition of a few words, worth 10 times what the regular version costs? Smacks of Beanie Baby collecting to me!

I guess that is a good thing as being a completist can get very expensive! People do silly things when they have a Holy Grail pen, like spending the grocery money on a writing instrument when they can't afford it. Heaven knows I do enough silly things connected with pens already (I cite SWMBO as an authority on this) without needing to add any grail-pens to the mix. headsmack.gif

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

MYU, a rather worn white stripe Custom changed hands at the LA show for $50! I didn't buy it out of courtesy to the person considering it, then she took too long to decide and it went to a third party who matched it to his black stripe Custom. Life is unfair!

My holdy grail would be a Pelikan Goudi. I've loved it since it came out and my friend Bjor got one at the LA show. Holding it in my hand, I realized I still wanted one!

Dan

QUOTE (dcarmell @ Mar 9 2007, 09:00 AM)

My holdy grail would be a Pelikan Goudi. I've loved it since it came out and my friend Bjor got one at the LA show. Holding it in my hand, I realized I still wanted one!

Pelikan Gouda? Sounds cheesy... roflmho.gif (Actually I like the Spirit of Gaudi)

Some of their LEs are nice - the 1931 Toledo in gold could find a place in my pen case......

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

Robert Fripp

QUOTE (Col @ Mar 9 2007, 07:10 AM)
Only the pure in heart may find the Holy Grail. To be pure in heart, one must be free from desire. Therefore, be content. Here endeth the lesson.

Excellent point! Having said that my biggest dream is a custom Nakaya. wink.gif

happiness isn't caused

I am ready to order a hand made Nakaya Pen. I have been giving up going to Starbuck & lunches out for 2.5 years, & I am amazed how much money coffee & junk food just added up.

I contacted the folks there & after several emails (to customized my order) they confirmed it will take 2 months; I can hardly waited... wallbash.gif wallbash.gif

post-4-1173465993_thumb.jpg

Well usually my holy grail switches every month. But recently i've wanted a single pen alone. Way over priced and way out of my reach is this,

http://www.joonpens.com/db_image/CA_LE_Crocodiles_FP.jpg

All my life i've been a Maria Felix Junkie! and finally they make a pen after her. Now i understand that it's a butt ugly pen but oh i lust for it oh sooo much!

QUOTE (amadeus06 @ Mar 9 2007, 11:49 AM)

All my life i've been a Maria Felix Junkie! and finally they make a pen after her. Now i understand that it's a butt ugly pen but oh i lust for it oh sooo much!

Naw, that isn't ugly.

THIS is ugly:

http://www.audiard.com/fr/menu_crea/gallerie/stylos/chat.gif

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

Robert Fripp

QUOTE (wspohn @ Mar 9 2007, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE (amadeus06 @ Mar 9 2007, 11:49 AM)

Naw, that isn't ugly.

THIS is ugly:

http://www.audiard.com/fr/menu_crea/gallerie/stylos/chat.gif

Oh please any conklin will beat that

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/conklin_images/CNCP02.jpg

Is it the color of puke with chunks for a reason?

The quill Jefferson used to draft the Declaration of Independence.

Other than that:

-a fully black and totally functioning BCHR lever filler with a smooth and only slightly flexy nib, preferably Mabie Todd or Waterman.

QUOTE (dcarmell @ Mar 9 2007, 11:00 AM)
MYU, a rather worn white stripe Custom changed hands at the LA show for $50!

Ah, OK Dan--just rub it, right in this here abrasion--a little more lemon please, ahhhh--that's it. Um, got any salt while you're at it?

roflmho.gif

That's one thing I miss about the LA pen show--I have to imagine far more vintage Pilots appear there than on the Sleast Coast. I'm glad to hear you were able to get a black-stripe MYU without breaking the bank. Are you going to make it a regular user?

Yes, that Pelikan Gaudi (and "gaudi" it ain't) is a beautiful looking pen. I like the silver encasement around the black barrel. But zikes--MSRP of $2000??

~Gary

Edited by MYU

QUOTE (Vintage Pens Fan @ Mar 9 2007, 01:46 PM)
I am ready to order a hand made Nakaya Pen. I have been giving up going to Starbuck & lunches out for 2.5 years, & I am amazed how much money coffee & junk food just added up.

Vintage Pens Fan -- is the image of the Nakaya you posted the one you're going to get? I had the opportunity to try out one very much like it. Very hearty pen--nice and thick but not heavy. The applique is raised about 2mm and really stands out.

My 1979 Montblanc 149, my 1965 Montblanc 146, My Omas Paragon, My Omas 360, my 2002 Parker Duofold centennial, my 1950 parker vacumatic and my 1989 Pelikan 800 are my grail pens.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

QUOTE (MYU @ Mar 9 2007, 07:50 PM)
Vintage Pens Fan -- is the image of the Nakaya you posted the one you're going to get?  I had the opportunity to try out one very much like it.  Very hearty pen--nice and thick but not heavy.  The applique is raised about 2mm and really stands out.

Yes, I have been "lusting" for this pen for a long time. It was on Nakaya's web site as part of their custom made Makie-e collections:

" Ryukyu (Okinawa) Tsuikin technique " A Flying Dragon (”ò—´)"

Nakaya has completed a brand new dragon by using the Ryukyu (Okinawa) Tsuikin technique.

The Ryukyu Tsuikin has been found by a hint of Tsuishu technique in 1700's.

In Tsuishu technique, a craftman rubs several colors of Urushi lacquer ware into the layer and engrave to express an accumulated

colors.

On the other hand, in Ryukyu Tsuikin technique a craftman mix pigments with Urushi like a rice cake and make a shape partly.

After that, he cut by a knife one by one and paste to the pen body.

A heaped up Urushi coiled around the fountain pen , throb feeling and realit have been put out.

A body is Ebonite, black lacquer ware is Wajima roiro finish."

This one costs about $ 1,800 plus $25.00 name engraving (also via Makie-e)

I know the price sounds outrageous, but it is probably the last modern FP I will ever buy. (Call me a sucker, but I just love high quality hand made crafts...)

Dave

post-4-1173475281_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vintage Pens Fan

My Grail pen is an Omas Arco brown celluloid.I hope to find it someday for less than an arm and a leg laugh.gif

I do notice the price starting to move downwards a bit.

JD

Edited by handlebar

The Mont Blanc Agatha Christie -- it goes against everything I profess to believe in, but my "inner magpie" WANTS it ... [sigh] HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

Acquired Holy Grail :

1. Pelikan M900 Vermeil Toledo from a trade (3rd from left)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/ebaywatch888/IMG_3250.jpg

2. Paul Rossi Crimson Glow M149 (1st on left)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/ebaywatch888/IMG_1687.jpg

Next one will be un-attainable but would be nice to think about it every so often, Kikusuimon by Classic Pen, but if they can make it with a MB149 , that will be sublime. ... keep dreaming

http://classicpensinc.com/store/images/pens/AL1_06.jpg

Edited by KCkc