My First Conway Stewart

Darcy1978

Today I got my first ever Conway Stewart, which I snapped up from a Dutch auction site. I am very pleased with it, as it seems to be in very good condition. It is a CS 286 from (according to the seller) 1940. It has an astonishingly smooth nib, which I think is a medium italic stub. I would be very happy if the experts on this forum could identify it with any more precision.

I found it interesting to find "The Conway Stewart" as imprint on the barrel, rather than simply "Conway Stewart" - does anybody know the history behind this?

I did not pay too much for it, which adds a great deal to the pleasure. I would be quite interested to know what these particular models typically sell for - just for reference of course, I don't mean to sell it.

Enough talk, pictures:

post-104873-0-36804600-1406985510_thumb.jpg

post-104873-0-47005800-1406985531_thumb.jpg

post-104873-0-72052400-1406985541_thumb.jpg

post-104873-0-60564300-1406985553_thumb.jpg

post-104873-0-75638700-1406985570_thumb.jpg

post-104873-0-91801700-1406985585_thumb.jpg

<p>Hors d'oeuvres must be obeyed at all times.</p>

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallymal1

• Darcy1978

• dannyboy

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a wonderful pen Darcy, and a fine introduction to vintage Conway Stewart pens. Congratulations! The nib looks amazing.

The 286 was in production from C.1930 till the late 1940's, and therefore went through a few design changes, from flat topped black chased hard rubber, through to the peaked top version you have here, which could have been produced from the later 30's onwards.

It was a mid-range pen, costing 12/6d in 1932, and 15/- plus 3/4d purchase tax in 1947.

Also, it was one of the few pens to be produced by Conway Stewart during World War 2, when government restrictions curtailed the manufacturing of many models, due to the shortage of raw materials.

I think the inscription 'The Conway Stewart' came into being in the early 1920's, being an abbreviation of The Conway Stewart Lever Pen. There are other ranges of vintage CS. The 'Dinkie' Pen, The 'Dandy' Pen, The Conway Pen, The Universal Pen, and The International Pen, and I think all these were dropped when CS re-styled their basic designs in 1949 with the CS58.

The 286 is my favourite vintage CS pen.

Sounds like you are already enjoying your pen!

Malcolm

Thank you Malcolm, for your congratulations and excellent information. The feel of this pen is really something else - am certainly enjoying in ;)

Going off ebay sales, a black 286 might have an average price around £20, while the green, blue, and burgundy pearls might be around £30 to £40.. Examples in very good/mint condition would obviously fetch much higher prices, and so to would the rarer colours.

A pen with an italic nib like yours, might also have more value to the right buyer.

Best wishes,

Malcolm

Thanks. That's around what I paid for it. I am not 100% sure it's an italic nib though - or can you confirm that it is from the photos?

From your photos, it certainly looks to be Italic. Either that, or a very broad nib.

If it IS italic...then you should have a marked difference between narrow horizontal strokes, and broad vertical strokes.

Nice pen Darcy, enjoy

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I think we can be certain about the nib being an italic. I had only dipped it yesterday, but today I inked it up with Akkerman Shocking Blue - and the ink came gushing out. I mean, I like a wet nib, but this was like writing with a marker pen. After some writing it seemed to dry up a little, but I am starting to fear something may be wrong. I think the Shocking Blue is a fairly wet ink, but even so. Might this be partly due to a sac that needs to be replaced? I was thinking to have the sac replaced anyway, just to be safe.

post-104873-0-62664600-1407071288_thumb.jpg

Hi Darcy. Are you thinking of sending the pen to a professional restorer, for the sac replacement? If you are, then ask them to check out the nib and feed for you. It would certainly be worth it.

If you are thinking of doing it yourself, then the section is friction fit, and should be separated from the barrel by VERY carefully 'wiggling' it out. If you are nervous at all about doing this, then send it to a pro.

Of course, you could try a different ink. I've read a few reviews of the Shocking Blue, and by all accounts it is free flowing, 'wet' ink.

I like the quote you've used in your writing sample. Very apt. :thumbup:

Hi Darcy. Are you thinking of sending the pen to a professional restorer, for the sac replacement? If you are, then ask them to check out the nib and feed for you. It would certainly be worth it.

If you are thinking of doing it yourself, then the section is friction fit, and should be separated from the barrel by VERY carefully 'wiggling' it out. If you are nervous at all about doing this, then send it to a pro.

Of course, you could try a different ink. I've read a few reviews of the Shocking Blue, and by all accounts it is free flowing, 'wet' ink.

I like the quote you've used in your writing sample. Very apt. :thumbup:

I am now trying out J. Herbin Perle Noir, which is a lot drier - but stil a bit too much wetness to my taste. I will definitely not replacing the sac myself. I will be asking a professional - I know someone who as replaced another vintage sac for me and also done some nib work.

The ink seemed to demand I write lyrics from Shocking Blue with it - btw I wrote about Shocking Blue here.

Edited by Darcy1978

Thanks for the link Darcy...that's an excellent thread.

Good luck with the 286. I hope your professional can tune the ink flow to your liking.

• 2 weeks later...