Thoughts On The Pelikan?

TLMG

Hey all,

As you might know already, I am a big MontBlanc buff. I have way too many of them and, amongst my unenlightened friends, I am the subject of lots of jabs because of it! :huh:

One of my friends, however, is enlighted. He is the Pelikan-version of me. Today, he brought his M800 to me to work out a nasty little scratch and... seriously... the design of the pen grew on me in a matter of minutes. In person, the Pelikan line is beautiful! On top of that, it wrote like a dream. :wub:

When he left, I started looking up Pelikans, etc. You know how it is... in a matter of minutes you are imagining your newest purchase... :yikes:

I wanted to come here to you guys beforehand and see what your thoughts were? I've read a good deal about the comparison between the two brands but I want to see if they are outdated, biased, etc.

Specifically, I'm thinking of the M1000 and would like a comparison between the M1000 and the 149.

Thoughts?

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TLMG

• Doug1426

• Bo Bo Olson

• canibanoglu

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my uncle used to own both pens, the M1000 and the 149. He gifted me his M1000 and I get to play around with the 149 pretty regularly.

My personal preference tilts just a little bit towards M1000 (no, not because that's the one I have :P). They are both great pens and both write exceptionally well but the M1000's nib is something else entirely. It has a bit of flexy nature and the line it lays is a very wet, very broad medium. The piston mechanism somehow feels more of a joy to use when compared to the 149 as well.

I'm sure you have a 149 (or more) and you can't go wrong with an M1000 to complement a 149, they are in my opinion THE two pens.

Speaking from experience, the only way to ensure you make the right choice is to choose both.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

I purchased a Pelikan M200 with F nib (F nib from Richard Binder). The pen was too wet to the point it wrote a broader stroke than my Danitrio M. Last month at a Dallas Pen Club breakfast, a gentleman there let me try his vintage Pelikan F, and it also was too wet for my taste, and again, a line broader than my M JinHao (roughly the same width as the Danitrio). If you like a wet nib, from my experience Pelikan is the pen for you.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Although I am unable to give you a comparison, I do have some thoughts.

I think it is difficult to compare the two because what might feel comfortable in hand to one, may not feel the same in another.

Angle of hand, pressure in writing, etc. can make such subtle differences in output.

You are considering the two flagships of each maker from what I understand. It seems like a win-win.

I do own the M1000 and a 146, both are loved. I'd love to own a 149 some day.

I would recommend purchasing an M1000 used so that you would not lose too much on the resale market if it doesn't suit you.

I am assuming you have a 149?

I feel for ya, it's no easy decision.

~ Justifying pen purchases since 2013 ~

I've recently held a 149 in similar circumstances to your introduction to the M800, so I'm comparing from the other direction. I find, despite the fact that the MBs are very nice, that if told I could only have one of either, I'd stick with Pelikan. The relative ease of dismantling for piston lubrication is my objective reason, while subjectively I'm entranced by the green stripes. :puddle: Other than a slight advantage in value for money on the Pelikan side (those MBs are flippin' expensive), there's little else to choose between them.

I had a conversion moment much like yours with Sheaffer Targas. Looking at pictures, I was entirely unmoved by them. In person, I realized their charms.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Specifically, I'm thinking of the M1000 and would like a comparison between the M1000 and the 149.

Thoughts?

I have several examples of both. The m1000 is a slimmer pen in the gripping section area. It has a trim ring that can corrode. the pen is quite back heavy. The nib is very soft.

about 149 I need not say anything since you seem to be quite experienced with it.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

So are the Pelikans just as wet as the MB? My one qualm with the MB is that they are so wet that even an EF looks like I'm writing with a thick sharpie. Ok for signatures but makes pages of notes look grimey and gross.

Thoughts?

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

A vintage pen of either MB & Pelikan, has a narrower nib...flat bottomed stubbish...not the round glob nib of today.

I'm not overly impressed with the modern MB wider than stamped nibs. I have a B=BB Woolf, it is only a springy nib. Nice tine tip bend, but only a 2X tine spread.

Vintage Pelikan pre'66...MB the pre '66 is a tad better from my reading than the MB '66-75.

After that MB is only a springy nib, not a semi-flex and or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex.

I have a '52-54/5' MB 234 1/2 Deluxe semi-flex KOB and rolled gold 742 'flexi'' F. Both nibs are very, very nice.

I'd suggest a then medium-large 146 or a 149 from back when they had a good nib.

If you want a heavy pen the 742 will do.

I've some nice '50's and or to '65 Pelikans with such nibs.

So in you like only giant pens...a pre-'75 MB 149. The 14 C nib is more sturdy than a 1000's 18 K. Which being 750, can bend and stay bent easier than a 14 C nib.

Medium Large the 400nn and the vintage 146 would do for fantastic nibs. The 146 grew into a Large pen I believe in the '80's.

Both companies made very good standard sized pens too, with top of the line nibs with some to a bit more flex.

I think it is very, very hard to change the mind of some one into only giant pens that posted standard pens are worth having too.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.