Omas Wood Pens As Daily Users?

Keyless Works

I more and more like vintage OMAS pens and as such I have sold all of my modern 1970s+ OMAS pens (except for one of sentimental value).

While reading the Dolcini book I came across the wood pens from the 80s and 90s and these really struck me as something special...not simply a throwback to an old design or an over embellished special edition but a unique and interesting series of pens.

These pens seem to be relatively inexpensive compared to their celluloid brothers and I wonder if that is because they are simply cheaper pens or if people don't want them because wood is considered an inferior material for the application.

What type of finish is on the wood of the AM 87, Amerigo Vespuccii and the MoMA briarwood pens?

Can these pens be used as every day writers and if so what special care is needed?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trom

• Keyless Works

• georges zaslavsky

• dannyboy

I haven't seen any of these in person; however, I've recently seen several for sale in the classifieds. They look identical to the Ogiva or MoMA, just made of a different material. Nib, trim and build quality look to be the same as the celluloid and cotton resin pens.

As for why these pens are less expensive, some of the ones I saw had ink stains. Also there are some later wooden OMAS pens (like the 360 ebony and snakewood) which have a reputation for cracking, so many are likely leery of any wooden OMAS. And finally these pens are less well known than OMAS' celluloid pens so it's likely there are fewer people looking for them.

I have a bunch of Japanese wooden pens by Pilot and Sailor which seem to be working quite well so far - in fact, I picked up the AM87 on Classifieds yesterday. A wooden piston filler - that should be nice!

Let's see how it goes.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I have two fountain pens made of wood, the ogiva and the paragon.

Both write very good. No cracks whatsoever, just perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

No maintenance necessary

attachicon.gifomas 1.jpg

nice pens trom ;)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I have the A.M. 87, some of the Legni Pregiati, and others--only one problem with the A.M. 87 and that's with the filling system. Getting ready to send it off for repair to Mottishaw. I love these pens (matter of fact I can't resist wooden pens, especially from Omas and Sailor since they're such great writers). I've not had any problems with cracking or staining (originally the Legni Pregiati pens were issued with a plastic-like cover for the section so that when you ink them the section is covered when you dip it into the ink). Hope you find several and enjoy them!